back to article Acer Iconia Tab A700 32GB HD Android tablet review

If you're looking for a cheap 10in Tegra 3 Android tablet, I'd say buy an Acer A510. If you want one with a 1080p screen and have deep pockets, then take a look at the Asus Transformer Infinity. Now, if you want something in between, with the Infinity’s screen resolution but the A520’s relative affordability, well, that's a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Christopher Rogers
    Windows

Nice

But I won't be upgrading my A500 until after a large number of Windows 8 machines hit the market.

1. N13L5
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Nice

I don't get how we can have reviews that proclaim with a straight face that "games like shadowgun run smoothly"..

Its almost like saying Solitaire is running smoothly...

I guess for people who can't be without some twitchy game wherever they go, no matter if its a 15 year step backwards compared to PC games, this makes perfect sense. Nvidia just got 3DS right, this year, if you add a 3DS screen large enough to be immersive, costing less than these crummy tablets, you got some real entertainment, not a sad excuse for it.

Who would have thought its possible to not die when you're out without a gadget.

I find this all looks like some insane mass hypnosis. Tablets replace smoking, in order to never have an 'empty' moment?

Something must be consumed at all times, like hungry ghosts.

1. Lamont Cranston

@N13L5

I know this is a tech site, but I still think that referencing a popular game as a benchmark for 3D graphic capabilities, is more meaningful than rattling off the technical specifications of the GPU. Knowing that web-pages scroll smoothly, and HD films can be played back is all well and good, but a thorough test of a device should (in my mind, at least) throw something graphically demanding at the device - afterall, whether or not you want to play games, some of the intended market will.

Google Play says that my Desire S will run Dead Trigger but, in practice, it's jerky, and has terrible controls. A real-world test gives you something beyond the raw specs, which is imformative, even if you've no interest in the task used for the test.

2. Robert E A Harvey
    Thumb Up

Interesting

This makes all those 700 quid laptops with x768 screens look even more of a ripoff.

And an SD slot too. I can feel my wallet twitching.

3. Martin
    FAIL

Too expensive...

Four hundred quid is a reasonable price?

Seriously, in this day and age, when exceptional 7" tablets are available for significantly less than two hundred quid, 10" tablets should be a sight cheaper than four hundred quid.

1. iGoto

Re: Too expensive...

Agreed. Sweet spot for me would be a similar spec'd slab in the £100-£200 range. Whoever breaks into that price barrier would have the market (and my cash).

4. Silverburn
    Childcatcher

Iggle Piggle

..anyone get a flashback to "In the night garden" when looking at that desktop picture, on page 1?

Just me? That'll learn me for watching too much TV with my kids.

1. Andrew James

Re: Iggle Piggle

Upsy Daisy ... Prostitue, or not? Seems odd to me that she has a very short skirt that lifts up when she gets excited, spends time hanging around in the woods, and takes a bed everywhere with her.

5. Prof Denzil Dexter
    Thumb Up

Looks lovely. Like the author, I'm not fond of overly garish design. I'd take this over an iPad any day. But I still think £400 is at the steep end. The Nexus, albeit smaller, at half the price still looks like a better deal if you don't mind 7"

6. batfastad
    Coat

Video

What video formats can these things handle? Pretty much everything? What are the decent open source media players for Android?

I like the idea of just playing video without having to downsample/transcode. That's what has put me off going anywhere near video on my phone. And the fact that my phone barely does 2 days despite spending most of its time in my jacket pocket so with video I'd be charging it at least every day.

I still can't see myself using a tablet for much more than video playback (having to prop it up on something or buy one of those covers with a wedge) or light web browsing though. Anything more then the lack of a keyboard would drive me insane. And a cut-down OS without the abililty to run my essential desktop programs. Price is double what I paid for my 3 year old Asus 1005HA-P. Less storage, width/height probably not that much different but much thinner. Mass is over half that of my netbook (1Kg) and I don't notice carrying that around with me all day.

The cons of tablets still outweigh the pros for me. If they could run a real OS then that would be a start. Until then I would probably still end up carrying a laptop in addition to a tablet when travelling, which would relegate a tablet to pretty much just video playback. But I am tempted!

Mine's the coat with a netbook bulging out of the pocket. Battening down the hatches to avoid the inevitable storm of downvotes!

1. Bassey

Re: Video

"What video formats can these things handle? Pretty much everything? What are the decent open source media players for Android?"

Yep, anything you wish. I use MX Player which has handled anything I have thrown at it. VLC is available too (I think it is still in beta) and my cheapo chinese tablet came with something called "Gallery 2180p" which has also handled every video format including a streaming video feed from TVCatchup designed for the iPad which I THINK appears as an iTunes video playlist.

I don't give format or bit rate a moment's thought any more. As long as you choose an Android tablet with MicroSD or USB support (preferably both) then storage space isn't an issue either. I picked up a 32GB card for just over a tenner a few weeks ago and there is usually a 16GB memory stick with a few films on it floating around in the bottom of my bag somewhere.

1. batfastad
        Go

Cool... that does sound pretty good actually!

I tried playing an AVI on my phone once and it would only play the last 30 seconds and even that was upside down. Like I said, I am seriously tempted. My netbook's reaching the end of its life, 4 years of air travel has taken its toll.

But maybe the Nexus 7 is more in my price range.

1. Bassey

Keep in mind there is no SD and no HDMI on the Nexus. That might not bother you but it is worth considering. I'm leaning more towards a Kindle HD. Again, no SD but it has the USB port and HDMI and the 32GB is only £200 so I think I could cope. I just haven't seen what Amazon have done to Android yet!

7. PhilBack
    Terminator

Good for development

I would sure pick one as a target for games development on Android.

Got an iPad2 for iOS target, this one would be perfect as Droid target.

The question is now: 3-screens, 2 tablets, 1 or 2 mobes on the desk... Well, I will need to wall mount them in this age of mobile. Mobile development is not that mobile for sure :-)

8. Sarah Davis
    Coat

Made by Acer !!!

isn't Acer the Amstrad of the computer world. I always reckon if it's not good enough for geeks it's not good enough for me!

1. taxman
      Facepalm

Re: Made by Acer !!!

Eee - how could you!

2. dogged

Re: Made by Acer !!!

They certainly have been for the past few years but it seems to be something that Acer are aware of. There have been various stories about their board recognizing the quality issue and being determined to go higher quality and higher price.

Pity about the price - the quality change remains to be seen.

9. Baudwalk

Oh, matron!

>>>a very pleasant to the touch dimpled behind<<<

And a ring interface too?

(Yes, I have been hitting the spiked cough syrup. Got a runny nose.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of this article about $49 Android tablets in China

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/15/hardware-is-dead/

1. 4.1.3_U1

Re: Reminds me of this article about $49 Android tablets in China

These $45 tablets are easily available online (including delivery for under $60); I'm thinking of picking one up.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There are 7" 16GB tablets available UK retail £80

I've had two. Lots of different names, lots of different shops, same core hardware, lots of decent reviews.

I've had two. One appeared to have a memory or SoC fault (random crashes), one came with useless WiFi. Both RMA'd courteously and efficiently.

If I had one that worked reliably I'd have been very happy with the price vs capabilities.

I'll leave it a while before trying again.

11. Raz

Not enough price differentiation for this tablet. I am watching the tablet market looking for a replacement for my original Transformer (my wife gets it :) ). I like the Transformer Infinity, which here in Canada is $500. The Acer A700 is $450. So basically for $50 more (10%) you get a nicer screen and the ability to add a keyboard later. If I would be to spend that much, I might as well get the Asus.

12. Radiodoc
    FAIL

Why no listing for Channel coverage ??

It's all very well spouting on about this, that, and the other Tablet. But there's seldom ANY mention of WHAT Channels they can be used on!

Presumably Yankee Hegemony demanded that the Asus TF101 - bought & using in Hong Kong - will never find or connect to anything above Channel 11 ! Same goes for my "long in the tooth" IBM T60p !

And far too many Wi-Fi routers that have gone thro' my hands in HK are similarly restricted - and you don't know till you try to set 'em up!

Amongst all my portables, I can only use Channel 13 on my Commie Chinese-made Lenovo S10-2's !!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like