back to article Yahoo! ditches! BlackBerry! for! 'smart! fun!' phones!

Apparently, new Yahoo! CEO Marissa Mayer doesn't think BlackBerrys count as smartphones: she has launched a program to give a free smartphone to every employee, but handsets from Research in Motion (RIM) didn't make the cut. "Ideally, we'd like our employees to have devices similar to our users, so we can think and work as the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Moyra J. Bligh

Yahoo! SUCKS!

Please! go! bankrupt! soon!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So that's where all the new iPhones have gone!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I might not listen to what she says, but I do like to Leer at her sexy ar*e,

In fact it really doesn't matter what she says, I'll buy it.

1. Thomas 4

Seriously?

They make billions in revenue each year but they can't afford a decent editor or news team for their home page?

2. RonWheeler
    Devil

Explains a lot

Because work phones are a toy not a tool, aren't they? Glad to see her continuing the company culture of pissing about on superficial nonsense rather than getting any work done..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmph

No sign of an "Smart Fun" for UK staff :-(

Yet!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmph

Nor for those in Canada. These things do seem to be rather US-centric at the moment...

4. bdam
    Alien

Yah Who?

Fuck me, they still going?

5. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

So that'll be a Nokia 3120 then?

"Ideally, we'd like our employees to have devices similar to our users, so we can think and work as the majority of our users do"

6. Mr Young
    Coat

Ye

smartphone! penetration! what! never! tried! that! before!

7. James 51

RIMs biggest problem is that it is fashionable to knock RIM. That is something they can not control. It annoys me that companies don't release apps for blackberries but I guess they don't want my money.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd rather see an article on why Yahoo didn't consider the Samsung Galaxy S3. My guess is Yahoo really wants their employes to be productive.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please help us to unlock our phone so we all can move our stuffs to Yahoo.

10. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

Yahoo knocks RIM

Sort of like two drunks flailing about trying to hit each other.

11. James 100

BES

It doesn't help that the BlackBerry - alone of the handsets mentioned - is not smart enough to talk straight to a standard mail server: you have to pay and do extra to funnel everything through an extra step in the middle, either BIS or BES. Yahoo - like Google - have a huge distributed email server farm - is supporting BES easy, cheap or sensible for them, when switching to any other handset eliminates that dependency and the extra cost as well?

I wonder - supposing they said 'OK, we'll give you an S3/iPhone/whatever on AT&T/Verizon/Sprint and pay the basic cost, OR you can have a BlackBerry handset and pay the extra $5/month for BES yourself', how many do you think would take that option? I remember at my university, even when BlackBerries were the only handset the university would pay for there were staff who provided their own handsets at their own expense instead; once there was a choice, there was a mass exodus.

1. Andrew Baines Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: BES

Hmm - yes it is - called BIS. In the UK, price for BIS is included in your data plan. My Blackberry Bold connect to my Exchange Server using the free Blackberry Express Server (BESx), also connects to another company's Exchange Server using IMAP. Can also use POP or OWA.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yahoo mail

Yahoo doesn't support Blackberry on it's email anyway. Internal mail is on...Exchange :-(

Lets just say that over the last few years, IT has been managed by people with zero imagination. Zimbra was trialled for a while, but the powers that be never took it seriously

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One! Irrelevant! Company! Stops! Dealing! With! Another! Irrelevant! Company!

We! Stopped! Caring! Years! Ago!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can understand if Google we're throwing shiny new phones at all their staff, given that they have huge piles of cash to play with. But aren't Yahoo! trying to flog off units because they are a bit short in the ol' cashflow department? Seems an odd thing to be pissing money up the wall on.

15. Joeykins
    Meh

sigh

I wonder how many RIM shares she shorted before releasing that particular puff-piece?

16. Swarthy

Poor RIM

They just got kicked in the blackberries.

17. I think so I am?
    Trollface

REALly! OMG!

I! REALLY! REALLY REALLY! DON'T! CARE!

HA! TAKE! THAT!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like