back to article BT to win Norfolk broadband contract - if Europe gives the nod

BT has been chosen by Norfolk County Council as the preferred bidder for a £39.3m contract to run fibre-optic broadband out to the sticks. However, the agreement between the national telco and Norfolk won't be sealed until later this year, and is subject to Europe's approval: the European Commission stalled the deal to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This Side Up
    Pint

Norfolk Broadband

How appropriate!

1. No, I will not fix your computer
      Paris Hilton

Re: Norfolk Broadband

Thaaaarts royte boy....

1. Pedigree-Pete
        WTF?

Please explain why...

do we have to have EC aproval to spend 9.3m of BT money, 15m of NCC money & 15m of BDUK money. Lets go Norfolk/Suffolk. Get on with it.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Norfolk Broadband

"Thass roight bor...."

There, fixed that for yew.

2. bluest.one

Infrastructure should be neutral, owned by the state/non-profit. Commercial operators should lease capacity, allowing real competition instead of a local monopoly or a provider also owning the hardware and giving them a material advantage if they have to share with other operators.

1. HMB

You're issue is BT's monopoly and your answer is to disallow network competition? Are you mad? You honestly think a state monopoly is a good idea?

The market gives people what they want (because that's what people pay for and makes them money).

The state gives people what it thinks they should have (Go drive a Volga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Volga_31105.jpg ).

I assume you don't believe in a free internet then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

(state v market)

@HMB

The market tends to give the people what it can make them buy.

Sometimes central planning is the better idea since it takes into account those who do not have a direct influence (the disadvantaged) on whose behalf the state spends money.

And sometimes the state makes provision for the benefit of the whole including industry.

(one example I can think of is the Brabazon Committee, which got things about 75% right)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alan Partridge will be pleased.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cables

we don't need anything very high tech, better cabling will deal with most of the problems.

We've just had a new phone line in at work and had that broadbanderised and we're getting six-eight times the speed of our old line (the new one gets all the way up to 4Mbps!).

You can actually hear the difference in the lines even on voice calls.

1. Tim #3

Re: Cables

i entirely agree... last week new poles and stuff were installed down my road by BT, download speed has gone from 1.8 to 6Mbps, which is plenty good enough for me. No idea why new copper should be so much better than old, but hey...

1. Jared Hunt
        Happy

Re: Cables @tim#3

Really old copper cable would have been patched up a lot over the years so could have a load of ropey joints all along it's length. That said, with the speed difference you're talking about, it probably wasn't copper. There's still a lot of aluminium cable in the network and it's really crap for data. They always replace old ali with copper these days which leads to big speed increases for customers on the end of it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Money well spent?

Or would we be better off getting our road infrastructure sorted so actual things can move quicker into and out of the county.

Though when I say things I mean goods and products and not those lot going "home" for the weekend who clog up the A11 at Brandon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Money well spent?

Last time I was up that way, they'd marked out the A11 Thetford to Fiveways roundabout for dualing. Bout time too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They've been talking about it for twenty years. I'll believe it when I can drive down it.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

It's far from clear whether the 'works' have anything to do with dualling, or are just Elveden estate works (e.g. to stop the serfs escaping, or Kubrick film buffs entering).

6. Zog The Undeniable
    Coat

Norfolk and chance of fast broadband

Where's the punning headline writer today?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like