back to article Capita ITS ditches UK job cuts, offshoring dream

Capita IT Services has finally shelved its plans to offshore jobs and make compulsory redundancies in 2013. In August just 84 unionised workers at the reseller-cum-integrator threatened industrial action over moves to send part of the service desk to India and push through job cuts across the wider organisation. Then last …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Jones 1
    Happy

Perhaps a Good Move?

Given the recent flaky performance of many outsourcing failures perhaps Capita chose the business sensible track this time?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A rare victory for common sense

Good to see that just maybe a company realises that a well trained, experienced IT worker based in the country where the contract is being carried out is better than someone who is thousands of miles away from the equipment/customer being served who is relying purely on documentation rather than actual knowledge.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A rare victory for common sense

100% agreement. But hopefully the unions will now sit down with the management and try and sort out some common goals that keep these jobs secure. That might include putting in more training, instituting a proper six sigma or Lean framework. I think it's obvious Capita can't think this through for themselves, but if the unions will prod them in the right direction it can be work for both sides.

AC because I don't want to be accused of optimism or wishful thinking.

1. Rob 5

Six Sigma?

Are Capita ITS going into manufacturing, then?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Six Sigma?

That would make sense, probably in more ways than you meant ;)

2. jbuk1
        Stop

Re: A rare victory for common sense

Captia and common sense in the same sentence. Don't think I've ever heard that one before.

3. Shagbag

"its members would not undertake work related to the offshoring plan"

Nice. I applaud them for telling management to go and fuck themselves.

1. N2
      Thumb Up

Re: "its members would not undertake work related to the offshoring plan"

Couldnt have put it better myself.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yeah, but no, but yeah, but

this would be great news, but I've got this feeling, they (i.e. the management) have given up rather easily, which makes me think they have made this decision on other grounds, than a threat of a strike. Honestly, how often is offshoring cancelled these days, particularly because of a threat of a staff action? How often is it cancelled, period.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe...

..they have stopped it because ITS is failing at such a fast rate without need for further complications. Not enough staff to carry out the work, "areas of excellence" all pulling in different directions, empires being built at every corner and moral lower than whale's shit!!

Wank company to work for and management that fails at all levels because they don't learn by their mistakes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe>....

They're heading for the same list as Fujitsu and will be losing the contracts they were planning to offshore anyway....save paying the redundancies, just TUPE them to whoever takes over

7. PeterM42
    Thumb Up

Stop jobs going overseas.....

Well done UNITE!

8. Ascylto
    Big Brother

If everyone at Crapita went on strike ... would we notice?

9. Westdene

The thing Capita haven't told the press .....

..... is that 90% of the Capita ITS customers refused to allow their business to be offshored ! I suspect THAT'S what has stopped the programme not the threat of a strike.

This topic is closed for new posts.