back to article 'Google strangled Acer phone using Alibaba Android rival at birth'

Google has reportedly forced Acer to cancel the launch of a phone that used an Android rival as its operating system. In an embarrassing U-turn, Acer cancelled a launch event for the smartphone so late that journalists were left milling outside the doors of the venue in Shanghai this afternoon. Acer had been collaborating …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

Acer lol

Acer huh? There is sure a name I haven't heard in awhile except in profit warnings. The smartphone/tablet revolution has not been kind to them. I thought the ultrabook revolution was going to save them.

1. D@v3

Re: Acer lol

They seem to be doing ok out of the Nexus 7

1. CmdrX3

Except for one small tiny problem. Asus make the Nexus, not Acer, so I doubt they are doing that well out of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Don't you mean ASUS?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

No comment

"...Register attempts to contact Alibaba, Google and Acer have so far received no replies. We will update this article as and when we hear more..."

Does anybody actually talk to you guys?

1. Doogie1
      Joke

Re: No comment

Oh no! It seems like they're all copying Apple. We know where this is heading!

3. Tapeador
    Unhappy

That sounds a bit anticompetitive.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I really don't get why people think Google are nice people. They talk about open source and freedom, but they're still interested in world domination and reducing competition just like any other big company.

1. Daleos

For a very long time, I've had Google's "Don't be evil" thrown into the same bullshit bucket as Apple's "It just works"

People don't think Google are 'nice'. Just because they had good intentions way back in the mists of time, when they were small and spritely doesn't mean they can continue with that wonderful thought now that they're a huge megacorp.

Basically, nice guys don't get the girls and this applies in business as much as real life.

4. John Styles

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Time for a merger - Microogle or Googosoft?

5. joe_bruin
    Linux

Open source always triumphs

Wait, I thought Google were the good guys, do no evil and all that. My understanding was that the definition of open is "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make". There must be some aspect I'm missing here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Open source always triumphs

There are at least two aspects:

1) Early access to pre-release Android source code, otherwise Acer will still be porting old versions by the time others have had the new one. Android is not really a true open source project in the sense that you can download the latest HEAD version from their website. Google restricts pre-release code to preferred partners.

2) Stuff like the Play store, Maps, Gmail apps are closed source which Google only licenses to devices they approve. Selling an Android device without any of those things is very hard, unless you're Amazon and have the resources to fill in all those gaps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

3) The name 'Android' is copyrighted by Google. If you want to release a phone, and call it Android, you need google's approval, or only sell in China.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That only showed part of the script, the commands before were "rm -rf <competitor>".

6. wim

ubuntu

Is there someone else waiting for Ubuntu (debian would be even better) or some other big shop to release a truly open source phone OS ?

I dream of a day that I could have one source for laptop / tablet / phone and hopefully that those three devices (and maybe a smart tv thrown in the mix too) could be synchronized.

1. SD2
      Meh

Re: ubuntu

I dream of such a day, but don't believe it will happen.

Even if it does happen, it will have only limited traction, since most of the porting to specific devices will have to be done by the users, not manufacturers.

2. mathew42
      Linux

The closest would be <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolla">Jolla</a> ( the successor to Meego, the successor to Maemo). If Nokia hadn't kept changing partners and strategies every year and not jumped into bed with Microsoft then you might have had your wish.

The biggest challenge is binary drivers. If open source drivers existed then it would be relatively easy to upgrade the phones. The same problem exist for Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tizen is another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for a phone OS that doesn't piss away all your data to anyone who asks. Linux would be ideal. But there's no advertising money in that.

1. nematoad

"Linux would be ideal."

Depends on what you mean by "Linux", if you mean the kernel, which IS Linux, than you already have your wish. Android uses a modified Linux kernel. If you mean the OS commonly known as Linux then see the post by SD2 above for some of the problems involved with such a project. That's not to say that it might not happen, just rather difficult.

8. Dr Trevor Marshall

I'm waiting for a phone OS that doesn't piss away all your data to anyone who asks

I have my phone locked down so that it doesn't send anything I don't want it too, and "AppTraffic" (inter alia) to detect sneaky apps. But you have to root the Android, Null all the Ads, and be ever vigilant. But isn't the same with any computer OS?

But if you want to use Twitter and Facebook (etc) then you are totally out of luck...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah but...

The people that subsidise the Operating System is an *advertising company*. How fucking secure do you think it can be? Really?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah but...

...and the other major contender is Apple. Entering the ring is Microsoft, possibly. There is no platform there that I would want to keep personal data on; let alone holes...deliberate or otherwise.

9. nematoad
    Unhappy

Law suit?

This looks "Tortious interference" to me.

IANAL but jumping into what must have been a contract between Acer and Alibaba must mean that Google have left themselves open to yet another bout of litigation.

It will be interesting to see, if such a lawsuit does come about, where the complaint might be lodged. If in China, no contest, Google gets its arse kicked. If in the US, Google gets its wrist slapped or Acer et al are taken to the cleaners by one of these wonderfully informed juries they have over there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Law suit?

Not a chance. Both Google and Facebook appear to be the IT version of Wall Street's version of how to deal with the law: something to ignore and any convictions are just the cost of doing business..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here's a post from Google's Andy Rubin :

" Hey John Spelich -- We agree that the Aliyun OS is not part of the Android ecosystem and you're under no requirement to be compatible.

However, the fact is, Aliyun uses the Android runtime, framework, and tools. And your app store contains Android apps (including pirated Google apps). So there's really no disputing that Aliyun is based on the Android platform and takes advantage of all the hard work that's gone into that platform by the OHA.

So if you want to benefit from the Android ecosystem, then make the choice to be compatible. It's easy, free, and we'll even help you out. But if you don't want to be compatible, then don't expect help from OHA members that are all working to support and build a unified Android ecosystem."

1. James 100
        Mushroom

The trouble is, that whole "OK, it's not actually copying us, but it's piggybacking on all our hard work and our ecosystem" sounds a lot like Oracle's argument against Google ... I'm sure Google remember how that one ended, does Alibaba or Acer?

Nuke, because threatening your own best customers/partners really doesn't make for best friends in future.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Pooh!

So much for 'Don't be evil'.

Maybe Mozilla should start an open source phone.

11. mikebartnz

Lack of understanding

Why should Google treat Acer as a preferred partner when Acer aren't doing the same in reverse.

They can still build an Android phone and an Alibaba one they will just cease to get assistance from Google and I can't blame them.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So Google were right

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/technology/google-alibaba-acer-android-aliyun-china-292615.html

Still - its always good to put the boot in on Google isn't it... condemning them before any of the information became available...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like