back to article Yahoo! to! guzzle! £4.7bn! in! Alibaba! stake! sale! 'next! week!'

Chinese internet giant Alibaba is set to get back half of Yahoo!’s 40 per cent stake in the company for a whopping $7.6bn (£4.7bn) outlay, as the two firms near the end of their bumpy relationship. The deal for 20 per cent of Yahoo!’s shares, which was outlined in May, will be closed by next Wednesday, according to the usually …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. wowfood

Stop! The! God! Damn! Exclamation! Point! Headers!

Please!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop! The! God! Damn! Exclamation! Point! Headers!

"Please!"

Leading by example not your strong point, I see.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

It's amusing that the only noteworthy thing about Yahoo in this little corner of the internet is the fact that someone always objects when ElReg inevitably make their ! joke when they post a Yahoo story. The only other kind of comment is along the lines of "Ya-WHO? I thought they quit years ago" .

I admire your tenacity in posting this comment every time though; conscientious but futile. You'd miss it if it wasn't there.

1. wowfood

They said the same thing about school. I'ts been almost a decade and still not missing it.

3. Killraven

Fully agreed. I refuse to even read the articles anymore, same goes for the Google+ junk. I came straight to the comments.

Yeah, it's kinda pathetic on my part, but as somebody who actually pays attention to punctuation, I literally "sound out" every word as an exclamation in my head as I read. It's seriously annoying. The same issue makes it nearly impossible for me to read cellphone text messages.

1. wowfood

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

2. Tank boy

I wonder...

If Yahoo! (that's for you punctuation Nazis) is doing that poorly, what are the odds that some other company will just buy it out? I don't think Facebook is in the position, but gooooogle could easily absorb what's left of the shambles that is Yahoo!. The real winner would be Microsoft, if they chose to gamble, and the upside is that Bing would go away.

3. Pete 2 Silver badge

Beware the Pac-Man

> If Yahoo! ... is doing that poorly, what are the odds that some other company will just buy it out?

One company that could be in a position to, and knows a bit about Yahoo is Alibaba! All they have to do is sit and wait for Yahoo's acquisition strategy to go badly and then jump in. The question that remains is: why would they want to?

1. wowfood

Re: Beware the Pac-Man

Well, Yahoo! suddenly gets a huge influx of cash. They blow all that cash on acquisitions which, if history is anything to go by, they will somehow cock up and wind up losing a lot of money doing so.

Yahoo! then go up for auction, and Alibaba buys them. Suddenly they have not only Yahoo! but all of their acquisitions. They can then strip down everything to the bare bones, and integrate it with their own system. Something Yahoo! always seems to miss. Around $5 billion worth of recent acquisitions, most likely purchased for half that price. And since it isn't a US company they probably wouldn't shed a tear for letting go of the entire yahoo staff if need be after teh merges are over.

4. Allonymous Coward
    Headmaster

the company's new CEO Marissa Meyer

Has she changed her name then?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like