back to article Phone-hack saga: Prison officer cuffed in cop bung probe

A 31-year-old prison officer was arrested at his home in Northampton this morning as part of Scotland Yard's investigation into alleged bungs to cops. The probe is related to the Met's ongoing phone-hacking inquiry. The unnamed suspect remains in police custody. He was cuffed over allegations of conspiracy to corrupt, contrary …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Crisp

Why the phrase "illegal payments"?

When the word bribe would do?

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: Why the phrase "illegal payments"?

Two explanations:

- publicity. The word "illegal"acts as a reminder that a dodgy act took place (well, when convicted, let's not get ahead of ourselves). "Bribe" is too tame.

- consultitis. Never known a consultant to use one word where a fully indexed, bound and cross referenced book needing 6 man years to complete would do..

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

I guess 'bung' wasn't good enough for you. I'll bear it in mind.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also, on this side of the big water, bung is either

a) misinterpreted to mean an alternative-personal-hygeine, alternatively aromatically gifted practitioner of an alternatively-residenced lifestyle

b) an object rammed into a not-yet-empty keg when the tap is removed.

But to be fair: "bribe" usually means a payment for action/inaction, while "illegal payments" can cover payment for unlawful goods as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Others

What about the rest of the press tabloids and broadsheets?

Are people and officials naive enough to believe they just spent all these years trying to compete with NotW and the Sun without ever resorting to the same tactics?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Others

And which of the tabloids/broadsheets/TV companies wants to become the next News International in terms of receiving a good bashing from the public?

There is a comparison of the use of private investigators across the major news papers and TV companies and all were involved. I'm sure some of it was legitimate, but the practice of using private investigators was common within the industry.

At the very least, look at Leveson's response on Operation Motorman:

http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ruling-In-Relation-to-Operation-Motorman-Evidence-11-June-20123.pdf

The Leveson inquiry appears to be as much about settling scores (Labour v News International) and winning points over the current government as it is about addressing the concerns raised by journalists and their employers conduct.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Nothers

Nothers are the people who don't get caught even when they are dirtier than ****.

Squeaky clean Rupert Muckdog for one.

How come all these unknown people are in the clink when that egregious know nothing is allowed to skate on ice so thin it isn't there?

3. Gordon Pryra

Others?

Considering its a small industry and they all move about or freelance it must cover all papers.

And with the amount of people being fingered, the Murdoch’s can hardly claim they knew nothing. Is our Govt going to man up and get the two of them extradited from Aus to face perjury and real jail time?

Im forgeting, they were under oath when they gave evidence to the Leverson enquiry weren't they? I seem to remember their Toadie, Cameron saying something of the like when people asked for a public enquiry. Or was this exactly the reason why he wouldnt do that?

With hindsite Camaron will be shit scared of any future Govts pulling out of the EU thereby allowing us to reinstate the death penalty, which he should face for using his powers of office to protect his friends and obstruct justice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh? What?

With hindsite Camaron will be shit scared of any future Govts pulling out of the EU thereby allowing us to reinstate the death penalty, which he should face for using his powers of office to protect his friends and obstruct justice.

I suggest you lay off the double espressos for a while, you're seeing things.

5. Jemma
    FAIL

*sigh*

"...remains in Police custody... up until the point we can make up a way to get him off.. did I just say that out loud?"

My grandfather, a east londoner who "fought" in the Battle of Cable Street (in London, not Ankh) and the war had a saying that was trotted out on a regular basis concerning the police "they're all as bent as a 9 bob note". Glad to see the old standards are being upheld..

This is just going to rattle on like a Rover 75 with low oil pressure until it ends up being abandoned through lack of interest. The cops that cant be transferred will take 'early retirement' at the taxpayers expense - the others will trundle off to the other end of the country and scratch another criminals, sorry did I say criminal, I meant coppers', back in the fullness of time. I very much doubt a single copper ends up locked up, if they do, to quote a certain German Gent, "You can call me Maier...!"

On the other hand, the civilians journalists will have the book, the lectern its sitting on, the gavel and anything in grabbing range thrown at them - shortly followed by starring in their own private personal Diane Fossey documentary with the assistance of HM Prisons, given the actualities of the case the ending of the real film and the HM Prisons parody will probably be the same.

Personally I prefer my previous and much cheaper solution to all this. Find Gemma Dowler. Provide and explain the workings of a 5.56mm chambered Minigun (7.62 is a little heavy). Take all the coppers, journos, sleaze merchants and pond slime involved and put them in a enclosed wooded area (come on, it wouldnt be much of a challenge otherwise) and let the girl work out her frustrations. Everybody wins for very little outlay. The genetics of the human race are improved slightly, the forest (well apart from the trees that get in the way) gets a nice dose of fertilizer, the police are warned that playing silly buggers will not be tolerated. All for the price of a couple thousand rimfire cartridges and the hire and adaption of a Steadicam mount (ala Vasquez). Not to mention thats one more person trained to deal with the zombie apocalypse..

And yes, I am cynical and violent - but then I know what its like to deal with someone close to you being murdered, because its happened to me. Trust me, it is not an experience to be savoured.

1. Mako

Re: *sigh*

I... I don't suppose you have a newsletter I could subscribe to, do you...?

2. NukEvil
      Mushroom

Re: *sigh*

In the meantime, Rupert Murdoch is clearly above the law...and getting even further above the law. His golden parachute from resigning his position at News International has caught the updraft of the U.S. political system, lazily taking him higher and higher until he achieves godhood...at that point, the only thing that will be directly above him will be Glenn Beck's gaping, sucking arsehole.

6. Vic

Did I miss the cuffing of the Police Officers?

Surely, if someone has been making illegal payments, someonie else has been accepting them.

I don't seem to remember anyone getting nicked on that front, though...

Vic.

This topic is closed for new posts.