back to article Anonymous considering another tilt at Australia

Anonymous is not at all pleased with the speech Australia’s Attorney-General Nicola Roxon gave earlier this week, and is considering another round of action to make its point that data retention is an unacceptable erosion of personal liberty. But the nature of those actions may not be the DDOS attacks or leaking for which the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I really don't care what Anonymous thinks

There are proper ways to steer political discourse, and they are the only ones by which a SUSTAINED result can be obtained. The problem with not following democratic processes is that you have to keep guarding what you forced.

If Anonymous wants to change something it should start sensitising the voters. Buy hey, that would be, like, work, right?

1. Old Handle

Re: I really don't care what Anonymous thinks

In their defense, high profile "hacks" and leaks could form step one of a voter information campaign. They grab headlines, and at least get the germ of the message out there. It's certainly not enough on its own, but governments prefer to slip these through with as little publicity as possible, so I'd say it does have some value.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

".....get the germ of the message out there...." Yeah, with a massive negative connotation for the vast majority. "What, the Anons are taking that side, then that must be the t*sser viewpoint!" I'm sure there are plenty of groups out there that shudder at the thought of their carefully crafted arguments and work being blasted into the weeds by the Anonyputzs and their vandalism.

2. Mark 65

@AC: The problem in such matters of using political discourse is that the outcome has been predetermined and that any consultation is there to dot i's and cross t's thus the politicos just totally f*ck you. It's their game and their rules and they don't intend changing anything. It is for this reason that people protest - because those in power seldom rule to the benefits of the citizens that vote and empower them but merely act for their own and their cronies' benefit. I say go right ahead.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"An outcome is predetermined" is another way of saying you haven't tried hard enough. If you are addressing a major issue you can change, provided you get enough people to join - this is the actual role of the media, to help you there. Not reporting on some tosser who is avoiding the normal cause of justice by claiming he'll be shipped to the US when he has to submit to court processes like the rest of us and pay for what he has done wrong..

1. Mark 65
          Alert

AC: I'm sure you believe what you write, but there are few things other than jobs and taxes that will ever galvanise enough people into fervent action to force a politician to u-turm. It really has to be an election loser for them to care. Few topics meet that standard, especially in Australia.

Try explaining to a politician how this record keeping will catch nobody and how organized criminals or anyone in general can bypass the system with a VPN or TOR and they don't care. Enough people? Changeable issue? Too naive.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Re: I really don't care what Anonymous thinks

"The problem in such matters of using political discourse is that the outcome has been predetermined...." Mark 65, what you really don't get is that politicians listen to POPULAR ideas, not the views of a tiny minority. You are screaming and shrieking because your views are simply not agreed with by the vast majority.

1. Mark 65

No Matt, not at all. I am not shrieking at anything, merely making an observation. Politicos listen to ideas that suit them and their agenda. Empire building mainly. The main issue is party A and party B both having very similar policies with nobody else in the running. You can kid yourself that you can get through to them or get your point across but you only have to watch question time, Paxman et al to realise what totally duplicitous worthless fucks most of them are. The ones that are genuine are few and far between and are often voted/shouted down in parliament. Unfortunately that is the World we live in. Look to the lobbyist US for a greater clarifying view of how "democracy" rolls.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            Facepalm

Re: Re: I really don't care what Anonymous thinks

Oh dear, Mark 65 is still failing to acknowledge the obvious.

"....Politicos listen to ideas that suit them and their agenda....to realise what totally duplicitous worthless fucks most of them are...." OK, that should make them even easier to deal with seeing as you think they have no scruples. By your reckoning, their key concern is getting re-elected, so if you can get enough people in their constituency to voice support for your idea then the politicos will take it up with alacrity.

But thererin lies the rub. The Anonyputzs' ideals just don't appeal outside their tiny group of basement dwellers. What does the Anons stand for? Well, one Anon "ideal" is not paying for movies/music/software. Problem is the majority just view that as theft, they think artists, coders, movie, recording and software companies should get paid something for their efforts. In fact, like a lot of the Anon whining, it smacks of the old Communist mantra of "all property is theft", and we know just how popular that wasn't. People that actually work for their livings don't tend to feel sympathy for those that sit around on their arses and expect everything given to them on a plate. Dressing up internet vandalism as "concern" about security? Puh-lease, it just comes across as vandalism. Face it, the biggest problem with the Anons is their lack of a coherent agenda with popular appeal.

3. Thorne
      Childcatcher

"There are proper ways to steer political discourse, and they are the only ones by which a SUSTAINED result can be obtained."

Problem is this legislation doesn't have proper discourse. The police want the powers and so it's getting rammed though despite public opinion, ISP complaints and so on but hey think of the children

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's a clue...

No one with a brain gives a rat's arse what Anonymous thinks or feels regarding data retention. Authorities are going to do what is right for society and Anonymous can go pound salt while they are in prison.

1. Thorne
      Black Helicopters

Re: Here's a clue...

"No one with a brain gives a rat's arse what Anonymous thinks or feels regarding data retention. Authorities are going to do what is right for society and Anonymous can go pound salt while they are in prison."

Yes the police state is good for society. GPS trackers for everyone. Just wait until they invent brain chips to control your every thought. That'll be great for society. No more crime. No more protests and they can program you to vote them back into power.

3. Falanx
    Mushroom

Oh, the old two-party works, screw activists mentality, eh?

I was going to comment on the naiveity of some of our ACs and their desperation to get their irrelevant twopenn'orth in, but meh.

Slurp me.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Breaking news" - "Anonymous plans yet another waste of everyones time and money".

When are they going to get that the whole "threatening/DDOS'ing people to get what you want" thing isn't working? That it can't be allowed to work, because the moment it does, every Tom, Dick and Harry will try it on, and all the grownups in the room know that.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking for a place to stay

Anonymous members are homeless and clueless and looking for a place to stay. The Iron Bar Hotel awaits them with open arms.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like