back to article HP throws an extra 2,000 staff onto chopping block

HP has added an extra two thousand workers to its mass redundancy programme, it confirmed today. Back in May the troubled US tech titan threatened to axe 27,000 jobs by the end of fiscal 2014 to cut overheads and use some of the savings to invest in R&D. However, in a 10Q form filed today with US financial watchdog SEC, HP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Morale down ?

Don't worry! Those lads in China and India are ready to pick up the slack and they don't seem to be affected by morale problems.

1. Chris Miller

Until morale improves

beatings will continue.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Morale down ?

On past performance, this probably just means that they had more volunteers who wanted to go than planned headcount...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dell Killer

How's that Dell killing online store going ? Shipping PC's over the internet is the key to success - well, at least amongst senior HP SVPs who think hiring Dell's best staff/ex-staff to build a great online store is the answer to all their problems...

1. Raz
      Thumb Down

Re: Dell Killer

HP's online store is terrible. I just ordered another server from Dell because they have the configurator in there and I don't have to wait for sales reps to get me quotes and stuff like that. When HP's online store will work I will consider them. It still blows my mind how a company with HPs resources cannot get together such a (relatively) simple task like creating an online store that works.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dell Killer

HP have this enormous grand plan to build an online site that's better than Dell's. Inevitably, it's late but even if it's very good, will it be the answer to HP's salvation ?

3. regadpellagru
    Holmes

Another quarter ...

another X thousands job cuts at HP.

Same goes for acquisitions ... Hardly any scoop here as the HP budget exercise has always gone this way:

- positive = another acquisition

- negative = another round of layoffs

So each quarter would exhibit one of those ...

Interesting Wikilink here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Hewlett-Packard

Shame the same doesn't exist for layoffs ...

4. asdf
    FAIL

the hp way

1. Every few years new CEO fires lots of employees.

2. ?????

3. Profit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Regulation

HP believe that Europe is over regulated. I contend that most of the world is under regulated. You know fair wages, working conditions, severance. Of course, the corporations hate all of those. They'd rather we'd be indentured servants, much like Americans will become if Romney/Ryan win, although I believe the likelihood of that is decreasing.

6. Denarius
    Trollface

and revealing quote in filing is

problems are being caused by loss of staff.

Have HP hired Phil Niezchke as an advisor ?

7. micheal
    Boffin

Note to CEO

laying off production staff who actually produce stuff and generate income = COST

Laying off upper management who are a cost drain and produce little = SAVINGS

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a pity

Totally incompetent managment has caused the downfall of HP who was once a great company. The loss of 29,000 more jobs sure won't help the worldwide economic picture as tens of thousands of other jobs are being lost weekly. This is a really bad economic situation getting even worse for many.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a pity

This is just a symptom of something that is happening in most developed countries. Good quality jobs are going to the developing economies. It has been happening for twenty years or more and it is going to carry on happening until an equilbrium is reached. Those jobs are not coming back. HP is mirroring what is happening in the global economy, and are aheadof the curve of the other "western" IT services companies. It is just that the likes of IBM , Oracle and Accenture are just a lot more stealthy about their workforce changes.

9. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Down

PR drivel

Dear HP:

Fire the flack who wrote this; S/he has made the public hate you more, not less:

"We are working to improve our execution and financial performance and to align our cost structure with our revenue and margin profile," HP stated."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Death spiral

I agree, this is probably because they have found out that more people want to leave than expected..which in the current climate is unbelievable, but true.

Its a death spiral, less people = lower quality = less customers = less revenue = less people and so on, to blame it solely on industry conditions is BS. Companies like HP are forcing the trend in insourcing as customers are sick of poor quality.

Also, still no mention of where these 'savings' are going to be invested ?

Keep a close eye on your pension pots HP guys. HP execs will be rubbing their hands together to do a Robert Maxwell.

11. The Godfather
    WTF?

Off with their heads

The next Executive that uses the word 'execution' needs precisely that. Ranks alongside...

Win-win

Touch base

No brainer

110%

close of play

On my radar

Flagging up

Pillock language....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like