back to article Microsoft to open 32 pop-up retail stores for the holidays

Whenever Apple opens a new retail store, it's a major event with fanbois lining up to be the first to grace its stone tile floors. By comparison, Microsoft's foray into the retail market will be a quiet affair – almost tentative – beginning with 32 pop-up stores to open in the US and Canada for the holiday season. Microsoft …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

We don't get one in Accrington Stanley?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

Accrington Stanley is a football club fool.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What?

I know I was being ironic!

2. LarsG
      Meh

A shop

A shop built on promises, stocked with the Surface, Surface pro, Xbox.... Ummmmm what else ohmI know!

An end of line sale for the Zune and the Kin!

And I suppose a bit of software that will be cheaper to buy on Amazon.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who picks these places?

Only 5 of the 10 largest cities in the US are on the list (assuming a "suburb" 30 miles from the city center counts). Chicago, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego and San Jose are all markets that are considerably bigger than Tulsa.

1. Eddy Ito

Re: Who picks these places?

I was thinking the same thing. Why are two of the stores within spitting distance of Boston yet the whole state of California gets 2 and only 3 in Texas. My guess is that they signed a deal with a retailer in those areas to rent a bit of space for the time. Pretty clever I think as it gives them a fair sampling of which areas would be best to put their own stores.

I also thought it funny that many, if not most, of the locations also have an Apple store. Granted I only checked about seven or eight at random and only the Ohio location didn't have an Apple shop, I guess they aren't renting space from Apple.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, they have one very big advantage over Apple Stores

As UK people will appreciate, it's going to be hard not to beat a set of stores now led by the former mastermind of Dixons...

4. James O'Shea

Well, this should be interesting

Apple has stores in both Aventura and Dadeland Malls. It would be almost worth the effort to drive down I-95 to see how Microsoft does head-to-head... except that both Aventura and Dadeland are in _Dade_ County, and I don't go near La Habana del Norte unless someone's paying me. And someone would have to be paying me a _lot_ to go on I-95 in Dade in December.

5. mikebartnz

Permanent or not

I suppose they have their XBox and will have the Surface but unless they continue to make PC style hardware this will just be a me to reaction to Apple.

6. Goat Jam

Hehe

I wonder if they will go with the same "folding tables" style decor as those other pop-up stores that sell remaindered books or Persian rugs in empty shopping centre stalls at Xmas.

In any event, I don't expect they will need to be hiring many "queue attendants" to keep jostling punters in line for when the next Lumia hits the streets

1. Miek
      Linux

Re: Hehe

It will be more like a pound shop, I would imagine.

7. Kurt 4
    Coffee/keyboard

Doom and Gloom

Nobody is going to buy a PC with out the start button.

8. Fred Flintstone Gold badge
    Pint

Of course they are trying to do this quietly..

.. I think they know already that a SOFTWARE shop may not quite work as well as a HARDWARE shop, so no fanfare means less egg on face when it fails.

I wish them luck. No, wait. It's Microsoft. I hope their aggregate customer numbers for year 1 is 20 - and 19 of those only came in because it was raining outside. There. Payback for Windows. Bwahahaha.

Was that fanatic enough, or slightly overdone?

Beer, because I can.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Fihart

The shop from Hell.

I have so far avoided the Apple stores in London, but I can imagine the perky jerks who they'd staff up with in the "positive" atmosphere of such an establishment.

Now add the oppressive hand of Microsoft to the equation. My God, perky nazis.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The shop from Hell.

Bwahaha, quality.

I get this image of goose-stepping shop assistants now, proclaiming "zis zoftware iz perfekt and haz no bugs"

Thanks for that, I now need to get drunk to get that out of my head..

11. Ole Juul

The Cheese Shop

I can only imagine the huge variety of products one will be able to purchase - or not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Cheese Shop

More importantly, the "pop-up" store concept means that when you want/need to return it, you trudge back, and hey presto! the store is now just another whitewashed retail vacancy.

Quite a good idea for MS, really, sell on promises in the flesh, and run away before people have the chance to realise they've been had.

12. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

pop-up MS xmas shop

So are they going to be selling Windows 8 branded tinsel, XBox ball-balls and Office themed novelty light-up father Christmas ornaments?

13. Bunker_Monkey
    WTF?

M$ Oppressive???

I can install anything I want on my Win 7 PC... Freeware, shareware, paid for software, viruses, p2p torrenting......... any browser I choose........

Apple on the otherhand??????

Or am I wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: M$ Oppressive???

I don't know, I have a MacBook which also runs Windows XP (out of sheer perversity, not because its of any use other than as a bandwidth tester), and Linux (OpenSuSE, CentOS and Mint). And I use OpenOffice (free), iWorks (free with the kit but very usable), and MS Office (roughly 1/3 of the cost of the laptop, and I only need it because of other people).

I have been through two OS upgrades with the machine already (it's from mid 2010), which have set me back for, umm, £30 in total (£15 per time). And the Apps I bought run both one my MacBook and on my work PC when I am logged in - legally.

Oh, and every weekend or so I let it check for updates. Yes, that's weekend, instead of every hour or "patch Tuesday because we can't afford people noticing just how much we need to replace as we really shipped an alpha product".

Wanna try again? I'm like an ex smoker - two years ago I gave up Microsoft. Best decision I ever made.

I have said this before - I buy kit because it works, not because some idiot in a suit tells me it's wonderful (and by "works" I mean by default, not after spending a week hacking and patching up the problems it creates - don't have the time).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Or am I wrong?"

Yes.

14. I think so I am?
    Meh

I care...

so little that if I cared any-less, I might some how cause myself physical harm doing so.

15. Not also known as SC

Why?

I can just about understand the concept of an Apple Store - with its nice shiny Apple toys and legions of devoted fans. But Microsoft? Sorry I just can't see it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like