back to article Sysadmins: Your favourite tool's now ready for, er, fondling

Spiceworks, the system-administrator's toolkit which thinks its a social network, now comes in a fondleslab-optimised flavour for BOFHs who like to oversee their empires from the pub. Spiceworks already comes in a handset version, for iOS and Android, but it loses some functionality in squeezing the layout. There's a web- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior art

I knew some sysadmins who used to perch a terminal screen in the company's front window, and periodically monitor it through binoculars from the pub across the street.

There seemed to be an inverse relationship between the binoculars' ability to focus and the amount of beer consumed

1. geekclick
      Thumb Up

Re: Prior art

Genius! Why did i not think of this? *fires up spare laptop and digs out the binos*

2. Peter Mount
      Thumb Up

Re: Prior art

If they were real sysadmins with a pub across the street I'd have thought they would have put a terminal in the pub.

Not quite the same thing but was told once that during power strikes of the 1970's there was a pub across the street from a certain uk news service of the time which was protected from power outages. Let's just say the pub never had a power cut due to a spurious cable running above the street, so I'd be surprised if no-one ever did that with a terminal ;-)

2. Peter2 Silver badge

I have to second Trevor's comment about Spiceworks.

As a single manned IT department with no budget worth mentioning, I simply wouldn't be able to provide the level of service to the company that I do without Spiceworks and it's array of integrated tools.

3. preppy

Linux?

Looking at the Spiceworks site, it seems that the only OS support is for Windows, Apple, Android. No sign of managing from a Linux client. Am I missing anything here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Linux?

It's web based so it should be fine, as far as I know.

We're starting to lpay wit Spiceworks and I run Ubuntu at home, so I bloody hope it is - but I'm sure it's not a problem.

Anon.

1. brooxta
        FAIL

Looks like the scanning client (ie. the really useful prog that automatically inventories your network) is Windows only. It's a shame really, but I can't see this being especially useful to me until they sort out a Linux client.

1. Ben Snape
          Happy

You don't need the client to scan windows, apple or Linux machines.

The client is used for machines outside a trusted network to call home and is only windows based.

2. Ben Snape
      Happy

It runs on windows but you manage it via a webpage so Yes you can use it from Linux

1. Huw D

As Ben has stated, as long as you can browse the management web page, you're sorted.

Similarly, as long as your Linux based device can be seen by Spiceworks, you can manage/monitor it from Spiceworks

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"our resident BOFH Trevor Potts' enthusiasm for the software is unbounded"

That's probably a useful clue that I should give it a miss then.

6. phuzz Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Bloody wonderful software, I'd still be using it now if I hadn't joined a company of beardy Linux types who won't let me have even one windows server to play with :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like