back to article Amazon to create 5,000 UK jobs in Kindle Fire hire

Amazon is to bolster the UK launch of its Kindle Fire tablet by creating 5,000 full-time and temporary jobs in Blighty. The web retailer will open three new distribution centres in Britain, and claims it will recruit 2,000 people on a permanent basis over the next two years - as well as 3,000 temporary workers during the run …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Keith 72
    Pint

Nice one!

I'll have a new Kindle Fire for Christmas please Santa.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice one!

Only a small one if you're in the UK...

2. Robinsons

Re: Nice one!

Looking forward to being served lots of advertisements and special offers on Christmas Day then....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good start...

Now if only they paid more than £0 in taxes on their enormous sales, we'd be going somewhere.

1. Heff
      FAIL

Re: Good start...

I was going to say : 5000 jobs is pretty good for a tiny company based in luxembourg with no UK assets or sales to speak of.

but then I remembered what reality was. apparently half of them are going to be temp jobs too, so that's pretty swell.

3. andy gibson
    Unhappy

Jobs not wanted in Liverpool

Some great opinions from NIMBYs in the area:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/08/18/amazon-to-create-1-000-new-jobs-in-liverpool-but-plan-sparks-homes-row-100252-31647754/

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UP to 5,000

of which 60% are 2 week temp. Fantastic news for the unemployed and for the economy.

5. Amazon Wageslave
    Flame

Creative accounting

Even allowing for temp jobs, the figure quoted is almost certainly bollocks. When Amazon opened the site at Dunfermline last year the jobs created figure in the press release included all posts created in Scotland since the last announcement. Amazon announced 200 extra jobs for one site, of which 60-80 had already been created in the 18 months previous.

6. Doug Elliot
    Thumb Down

But no Paperwhite

After waiting a year for a Fire, Amazon are still not selling the new Paperwhite Kindle in the UK.

1. HipposRule
      Unhappy

Re: But no Paperwhite

Not sure how an upvote would be interpreted (Good thing they aren't importing it, or agreeing with the comment), but I agree with the comment. And they won't ship it to a UK address. Any thoughts as to whether there would be a problem getting .co.uk books on it (and no Calibre/DRM free/why would you pay comments please, I'm quite happy to spend less than £10 a month for books I actually want)?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Amazon jobs worse than call centre work

I worked for 1 week in Amazon last Christmas it was most definitely the most souless job I have ever done. Walking 15 to 17 Km per day in a massive hangar size building with five floors of book shelves in 30 degree celsius temperatures. Just repeating the same route hour after hour. Security checks before lunch and at end of shift are exactly the same as airport security.

When the orders stop coming in the handheld scanner tells you to report to control so you can be sent home with no pay, absolutely inhumane place to work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazon jobs worse than call centre work

Where was it 30C in December ? A hand held machine tells you to go home with no pay ?

This surely wasn't in any country in Europe...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like