back to article LinkedIn adds nagging notifications to social-network-for-suits

Social-network-for-biz-types LinkedIn has begun offering a Facebook-like feature that notifies a user when another member connected to their network views that person's profile, accepts an invitation or carries out other creepy stalking habits as is de rigueur in the Web2.0 world. The company said in a blog post that LinkedIn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I get enough nagging from LinkedIn as it is

and I don't actually have an account

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: I get enough nagging from LinkedIn as it is

Yeah. I blacklisted them a while back. I've still got my account but despite ticking every 'do not contact me' box I could find I still got their stupid newsletter.

2. preppy

Almost all of the "LinkedIn" emails which arrive in my inbox are actually spam from elsewhere....but they look exactly like the genuine article. Beware!

3. PyLETS
      Mushroom

I've never had an account yet they think they have the right to spam me. I've blacklisted their IP addresses.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

slinkedin

Oh, what? That place? Didn't it used to be "Friends Reunited"?

I get Linkedin invites sometimes but otherwise only go near it when I'm bored or need to add a new skill - "cat wrangling" is the most recent... It's another site that doesn't really work that well without Javascript so I spend very little time there.

3. The Baron
    Pirate

LinkedIn is magnificent. In our company, at least, it's by far the best place to find out who has what job, since nobody can be bothered to maintain the global directory. It's like we've accidentally outsourced it to the cloud...

4. Stevie

Bah!

"Friends Reunited"? Didn't that used to be four-something?

5. Spoonsinger
    Paris Hilton

Maybe I'm "special',

but been getting the 'person XYZ has looked at your profile bla bla," for ages, (I'd probably hazard years). Or is this a different type of stalking?

Paris - maybe?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The LinkedIn network is used for stalking...

I have personal experience of this. The way it works is this way...

1. Company hires "recruitment" agencies.

2. These agencies pose as "recruitment agencies" and advertise jobs (the job could be real or fake it does not matter)

3. The recruitment agency invites employees, from the company that hired it, to join their network.

4. Thats it! Now the recruitment agency gets all the activity details of the company's employees i.e. who else they are connecting with, what changes the employees have made to their profile, what comment they have made etc.

5. The recruitment agency then reports these details back to the company.

I may sound fiction, but this actually happened to me. I blacklisted lot of recruitment agencies who were involved in this activity. The recruitment agencies are one of the well known in UK and the company that is using this method to spy on its employees is one of the leaders in its field! Shameful, but true!

7. Badvok
    FAIL

"Facebook-like feature that notifies a user when another member connected to their network views that person's profile"

You do know that this supposed feature only exists on Facebook in the spiel of con artists don't you?

8. Not_The_Droids
    Facepalm

Surely

Facebook already has a patent on this, and now California Court Hilarity will ensue.

9. Test Man
    Stop

Is this tied to the update of the LinkedIn app? Since upgrading, it's completely broken.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Talking of Facebook-like features...

When did that "Like" button appear?

11. Charles Smith

It's not what you know but who...

Of course people really in the know about professional networks don't use LinkedIn. They use the other genuinely influential network ...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like