back to article AVG kicks out new touchy-feely UI to grab smartphone-fondlers

AVG launched a revamped range of its security products on Thursday that it said offered faster scanning and support for the latest touchscreen Windows 8 devices through an updated user interface. The 2013 vintage of AVG includes new versions of AVG’s consumer products, such as AVG AntiVirus Free, as well as paid-for security …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Spearchucker Jones
    FAIL

Bloat with new lipstick

'...boasts tune-up features and "advanced privacy controls"...'

Seriously, WTF is that?

I'm soooo ambivalent about Windows AV. Every time I look at a slow PC AV is the cause of it. Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows Firewall, Bitlocker, Truecrypt and a good password policy are quite enough for me.

2. The Alpha Klutz
    Megaphone

face is now going into palm

unix was built to be a universal pipefitting between networks. It's perfect for todays Ghz-class smartphones and is very secure. Now imagine Microsoft Windows + Wireless + Quadband modem + bluetooth + GPS and imagine yourself slapping your face over and over as you get hacked over and over again.

this is the reality, unless you buy AdVanced shaftinG software, which will only cost you MORE MONEY on top of what you paid for Windows! Jeeeeeesus Christ. It's just like Ballmer said; "It's an incredible value but it's true!"

mushroom_32.png

3. dotdavid
    Stop

"while improved heuristics, file reputation and crow-sourcing have led to a 11 per cent reduction in database size"

Personally I think the wisdom of the crows is overrated.

Used to like AVG, but it became more and more bloated over time and now it just reads like a list of crappy software tools I have no need for. It seems to be the eternal Windows AV vendor's dilemma - "how do we sell more software when our existing software is always being updated anyway? I know, lets add a feature" - the feature of course gets more only-marginally-useful over time.

1. zebthecat

Re: crow-sourcing

You do realise that the corvids are the most intelligent of bird families?

Fantastic problem solving skills - perhaps they really meant it...

1. dotdavid

Re: crow-sourcing

I had heard that Raven-sourcing might yield better results.

2. Richard 116

Too true...

I'd like to say AVG is a shadow of its former self but it's not. It's just 'Ooooo look at me!' bloatware.

4. Sarah Davis
    Coat

AVG !! Seriously ??

One of the worst, crappiest, bloatware ridden, bits of free protection ever made. I didn't know it was still made. Does it work right yet ? Are people actually using AVG ? Have they not heard of "Avira", AVG's nemesis in that it doesn't have bloatware, it's the best free anti-virus bar none, very few false positives, and it works - unlike AVG

5. Sarah Davis
    Coat

Has anybody tried the "AVG Hat",..?..

.. it has several "features" setting it apart from other hats. It has pockets and a built in sideboard, a foot pump, a 24 volt onion peeler, an elastic tape measure, a depth meter, a ticka-tape machine, it's scented with porridge and amonia, is powered by four 24v truck batteries, and comes with it's own trolley (with one broken wheel).

The extra weight of these additions means that the "AVG Hat" can no longer sit on your head, instead it rests on your shoulders leaving your head free to tilt and turn in any direction unrestricted more freely than with any other hat known to man - the new "AVG Hat" because if you don't know about hats you won't know why to avoid it!

6. Handon

When AVG antivirus starts scan it almost blocks the computer. If google chrome is used it crashes the shockwave plugin. AVG should address the problem.

7. Arachnoid

Yet another AV that has historically hit the buffers by giving out a corrupt updates which caused acute problems to the end user.

Do I really want it on my system..........hmmm

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like