back to article Famous SAS man trousers £1m as e-publishing startup sold to Tesco

Famous ex-SAS man "Andy McNab" will pocket almost £1m as Mobcast, an e-book publishing operation he co-founded, is sold to Tesco. Mobcast has 130,000 titles available to read on tablets, phones or computers and is not tied to any specific device. The service was founded in 2007 by McNab and the firm's head, Tony Lynch. "As an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice one

Got absolutely no problem with ex-services folk making it big on civvy street.

1. Tom 7

Re: Nice one

Quite agree! Even if I wouldn't read another of his books at gunpoint.

1. dogged

If I could upvote you fifty times, I would. And it would still be more intellectually stimulating than reading his shitty books.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trooper MacNab circled the cringing captive, flexicuffed to the wooden chair. "Do you know what this is?", he screamed, face contorted in rage (though curiosly never quite coming into focus). He thrust a state-of-the-art electronic gadget at the tear-stained face of the bewildered Tom 7. "It's an e-book reader, my friend. And it's loaded to the brim with one of my best-selling action thrillers. You said that you wouldn't read one of my books at gunpoint. Well, let's see about that." Dropping the e-book onto the chairbound Tom's lap, he unslung the intimidating bulk of a silenced Hechler and Koch MP5 and pointed it Tom's head. "Let's see what you really prefer - devastatingly authentic, pulse pounding story-telling at it's best, or three rounds to the head."

etc, etc

1. Tom 7

As an old girlfriend of mine used to say (I now realise with the intention of getting it over with quickly) "Pump Away!"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

MacNab's finger gently squeezed the MP5's trigger and the gun bucked as a three-round burst tore through the silenced barrel to rip into the side of Tom 7's head, richoceting through his brains and ripping them to mush. 7's body slumped against his bonds as he exhaled a last, croaking breath.

The head of the Society of Authors' armed response wing allowed a wry smile onto his (curiously out-of-focus) features. "That's the last time you give me one star on Amazon, sucker!"

1. Kane
              Coffee/keyboard

This.

/thread

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Even "Andy McNab" knows that you can't silence a machine pistol effectively beyond "gunshot" sounds like "gunshot in the next room".

2. Steve I

They're OK...

some noticible better than others. I've read B20, Immediate Action and most of the Nick Stone series, which get a bit samey (except Liberation Day - I think : set partly in Monaco?) which was just dull.

Chris Ryan is a better writer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They're OK...

>Chris Ryan is a better writer.

...and Vince Phillips was a better soldier.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: They're OK...

I suspect James Blunt was a better soldier.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

800k loss eh?

Seems McGrab's business skills are on par with his writing abilities...

AC, naturally as their wasn't an icon with black tape over the eyes.

1. SteveK

Re: 800k loss eh?

He walked away with £1m out of it, sounds like his business skills are OK. (from his perspective at any rate!)

4. Chris Collins

Blurred

Given that anything he did remotely exciting was over twenty years ago why go through the farce of blurring his face, like they did in the Fail? Surely anyone who wanted to kill him for crimes against literature would already have done so?

5. Hieronymus Howerd

Ohhh...

So he was in the army.

6. Martin Taylor 1
    WTF?

VC?

Perhaps I'm being stupid, but I don't understand the reason for the "VC" reference.

1. Victor Ludorum
      Black Helicopters

Re: VC?

I'm presuming it's more to do with Vulture/Venture Capitalists than the Victoria Cross...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: VC?

I was wondering about that too considering he only got a DSM (just before the cutoff too). Vulture capitalist seems appropriate... pick over your past to make money. The past funded in HRM's service of course, someone has to foot the bill. The dead sods, well, what have they done for us today? That is the true measure of vulture capitalism, stand on the biggest pile of skeletons and wave the cash around.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance

Big McNab fan...

But I think he would be as welcome around the boathouse in Hereford as James Hewitt would be at a Life Guards parade. Persona non grata I believe is the term.

It wasn't so much that he gave away all the OpSec (operational security) of THE REGIMENT, it was more the fact that it was a load of bullshit and he made an even bigger load of money from it. Who knows maybe there was jealousy involved - there certainly will be now, as Andy laughs all the way to, and certainly back from, the bank.

I must say, I do enjoy his books. Hard men in tight corners, thinking on their feet and doing what needs to be done.

My particular favourite is when he decides that his second marriage is going nowhere, so to escape it - he dives out of the second floor window with kit (essential, of course). That is class. Now I don't know if it is true or not, nor do I care, but what man, trapped in a second marriage hasn't fantasized about doing the same?

The book is called Immediate Action and it's a great read. Good luck to you Andy old boy. To paraphrase Gurdjieff: It's just fleecing the sheeple.

<George in Blackadder goes forth>

Bravo!

</George in Blackadder goes forth>

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Off Topic

I read two of his books and although from an artistic point of view they have as much value as you would expect from an action best seller, I enjoyed his unusual sense of humour: not only he doesn't really win, but he ends up getting all his loved ones killed by the end of the book (and some of their relatives too, for good measure, IIRC).

Incidentally, does he have a ghostwriter, or a very competent editor, or he's just got the hang of it? I'm wondering because his writing is professional quality level IMHO (as before, not saying literary masterpiece, same way as a TV jingle isn't, but it's still done by a professional musician, as opposed to some enthusiast off the street).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like