back to article Star Wars animation heads for the silver screen

US aficionados of Star Wars can on 15 August enjoy a cinematic launch of forthcoming animated TV series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Variety reports. The silver screen release is the fruit of a deal between Warner Bros, Turner Broadcasting and Lucasfilm, which described this "marrying [of] TV series and theatrical release" as " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tony Barnes

Cartoon series was...

...excellent - really enjoyed it.

Not sure about a 3D affair though, looks a bit odd..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Patience, young Padawan

Anakin was allowed to *teach*? No wonder the Jedi were failing.

3. Cap'n wotsit
    Thumb Up

Excellent!

the cartoon microseries was awesome, now all I need to do is dust off my jedi cloak, re-energise my lightsaber and i will be fit to mind trick, and use all the memorable lines from the films

[jedi mind trick] this is not the post you are looking for [/jedi mind trick]

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live action?

Forget 3D cartoons, bring us the live action TV series, damnit!

Also, I hope the people doing the voices are bloody good, as the old cartoon was a bit of a let-down in that area...

5. Graham Marsden
    Coat

Why am I reminded of...

... Spaceballs 2: The Quest for More Money

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Why am I reminded of...

Hmm, possibly because Spaceballs was a pretty piss-poor piss-take of Star Wars? Um, in order to make money. Think what you're saying here, if you don't want Lucas to have your money, don't go and see it. But no, you're saying you've seen Spaceballs 2????? Which no one else (correct me if I'm wrong) has ever heard of? O right, I see, you're making a joke, there never was a Spaceballs 2. So how come you're reminded of it? Are you mental or something? If you don't think people should have the freedom to make money out of film-making maybe you should move to some communist country or something.

7. Graham Dawson Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

@ac

Satire? AmanfromMars posting as an AC? I dunno, but it seems that you obviously missed the little joke in Spaceballs about Hollywood's obsession with producing sequels to big hitters in the hopes of making more money from the same idea.

Did you even *watch* the film?

Is Paris going to be voice-acting in this one?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Oh well...

At least George Lucas is unlikely to direct these. The man couldn't direct traffic along a one-way-street.

In the hands of a competent director, Ep I, II & III would have been a lot better, with fewer useless (franchise) characters, better/tighter script, and no pathetic dialogue between Padme and Anakin...

... so here's hoping for something cool.

9. jonathan keith

Correction

George Lucas concluded: "I felt there were a lot more Star Wars properties left to milk. I was eager to start cashing some of them in through animation and, at the same time, begin driving the final nails into the coffin of my legacy."

10. Tawakalna
    Unhappy

more money...

..for old rope. I feel a disturbance in the Force, ah no, it's me wallet being prised open for another cr4ppy Saturday afternoon at the local Odeon :(

11. Mage Silver badge

No

I, II and III needed a Script Writer. George CAN Direct. He just can't write dialogue.

12. david gomm

@AC

Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper ?

13. Mike Crawshaw
    Coat

Live Action????

"Forget 3D cartoons, bring us the live action TV series, damnit!"

Hells, Eps1-3 only just classed as "live action" with all the CGI characters....

Mine's the brown hooded cloak, thanks...

14. Sam
    Stop

When is Clone Wars not Clone Wars?

Clone Wars was awesome, mostly because of the production and artists involved. I think George has seen this and will try to emulate it, badly.

15. TheHempKnight

well

So those prequels weren't bad enough that we actually need MORE star wars? I bet they'll come up with something more annoying than Jar Jar Binks just so the kiddies will like it

16. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ Graham *

"Did you even *watch* the film?"

Why, is there there some deep philosophical point you think I missed, assuming that's what you're meaning by the emphasis, as if watching isn't enough, I have to *watch* it to really *get* it. Get a grip.

It was years ago I watched so I don't specifically remember that part of it no, but it's not exactly hard to imagine. So apologies for the original assumption.

My other point stands though. Sequels are bad but "comedy" pastiches of original (sic) works aren't?

17. Guy
    Coat

I see your Swartz is as big as mine

Graham : Don't worry, your not the only one to recall that film in all it's glory.

I was always a little disappointed they never released Spaceballs : The Flamethrower myself.

Any guesses as to what the combination on my luggage is set to?

Oh and this is an unlisted wall...

I didn't wear a coat, but the dark helmet is mine, thanks.

18. Graham Marsden
    Joke

@AC Re: @ Why am I reminded of...

I'm glad to note that at least some people have a sense of humour...

(Joke alert icon because... oh figure it out yourself)

19. Dave
    Coat

Homer Simpson said it best

Why would we pay to see something we've been seeing for free on the TV?

(no quotes, because I know I bunged up the quote...)

20. Clumpy
    Thumb Down

Lucas' Follies

I oppose anything George Lucas is doing by the overwhelming evidence that everything he has done since the original trilogy is mindless cotton candy. That includes the special editions. The release of yet another Star Wars self-parody does little to excite me.

21. Rui
    Coat

Can someone tell me...

Is this the place where I can post a comment about the "Starwars Animation" news?

22. Rob
    Thumb Up

Gennady Tartakovsky is brilliant

Gennady did the clone wars animated series. He & Craig McCracken were the creators of Dextor's Laboratory. After that, he did Samurai Jack while Craig went on to do Powerpuff Girls.

23. Tim Brown

Link to sneak peek

here: http://www.starwars.com/video/view/000478.html

looks like they're using all the main characters. there's a new dark apprentice as well.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anonymous Clones...

....get back to work 'Anonymous Coward'. You seem to post a lot to these boards, or are you cloned?

(NO PICTURE, NO SENSE OF HUMOUR)

25. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Darth Sidious, Count Dooku and General Grievous

Surely they jest?

Who's next; Darth Doofus?

I stopped being a SW fan after Episode V - Empire Strikes Back

26. Colin Sharples
    IT Angle

Forget that, check out this...

The ultimate animated Star Wars: http://www.asciimation.co.nz/

27. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@AC re: Darth Sidius...

Stopped being a fan after episode *V*? When the series lost the deep plot, meaningful dialog, and intricate emotional interplay of A New Hope and Strikes Back?

And wait a minute - you're complaining about General Grievous but you didn't have a problem with Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker? You didn't notice that half of the characters have modern US names and the other half have fantasy names?

Jesus Christ, people. You don't watch ANY of the Star Wars movies because they're good. None of them are "good". But some of them have the advantage that you SAW THEM WHEN YOU WERE NINE!

This topic is closed for new posts.