back to article Another trans-Pac fibre mooted

With wannabe pacific Pacific Fibre out of cash out of the game, a new group has re-emerged with a proposal to string a cable from from Australia and New Zealand to Hawaii, taking in a group of Pacific Islands along the way, rather than following the direct-to-US route proposed by the defunct Pacific Fibre. The proposal for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. leeCh
    Meh

Just more SPIN

Like this one will happen NOT

At the time that SPIN was being promoted as SPIN East, there was also SPIN West (a complementary line of fibre), plus another couple of offerings.

The french really want this but they just keep shooting themselves in the foot every time they try to get it.

The primary motivation should be for the Australian East coast to not be so utterly dependent on Sydney. Run some major backhaul from Cairns to PNG (replacing the hopelessly inadequate PoC that's there now) and also on to Guam and then from PNG go West to East as far as possible through all of the Islands before tracking straight for somewhere in the Americas (forget Hawaii). Main problem, lots of earthquake fault lines. Main advantage, nice big pipe going in a different path from all the others, with a nice bonus of getting a large number of the small island states (10 million people roughly) off Satellite.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Just more SPIN

"Main advantage, nice big pipe going in a different path from all the others, with a nice bonus of getting a large number of the small island states (10 million people roughly) off Satellite."

The monopoly telcos in those islands quite like having them on satellite TYVM and they'll kick up a stick trying to keep things that way. My personal experience in this area is that they'll happily lie to govt select committees and/or pay massive backhanders to keep things the way they are. Corruption is rife throughout the central pacific, which is one reason why it's hard to get anything done.

1. leeCh

Re: Just more SPIN

I would suggest that you are well more than five years (if not ten) out of date in your opinions. I personally know staff or executives in almost all of the Pacific Island Telcos and Regulators and have worked for one of them for over five years.

Most of the Pacific Island states no longer have monopolies, in particular in the mobile area. The explosive growth in mobile and data in most of them has opened the eyes of the local carriers to the need to get access to a hell of a lot more data bandwidth. They can smell the money to be made but not one of them has anything like the financial wherewithal to lay the cable themselves. Meanwhile they are subject to the whims and fancies of various organisations who never seem to have the right motivations to get this job done. I've met several of these guys, great rhetoric, lousy follow through.

2. Graham Cunningham

Drunk?

"With wannabe pacific Pacific Fibre out of cash out of the game, a new group has re-emerged..."

3. Ryan 7

Haha

It's even the same map

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you want to make it happen...

Get one of these island nations to change their banking laws so that they become a haven for people to stash their money. Watch Larry Ellison buy another island...

1. Fatman

Re: If you want to make it happen...become a haven for people to stash their money

Would you be suggesting a Pacific Ocean version of the Cayman Islands perhaps???

If that happens, i would bet that Romneymoney could find some change to "park there".

This topic is closed for new posts.