back to article Consumers warned on data loss compensation packs

Victims of Government data loss are being encouraged to buy packs claiming to help them claim compensation. Thousands have paid out, but privacy lawyers have warned that success is very unlikely. One arbitration company is selling £5.99 packs that it claims will help some of the 25 million victims of the HM Revenue and Customs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K
    Coat

Opportunistic scumbags

Doesn't surprise me that some conmen show up to try and fleece the public out of money whenever they can.

Same shit, different crisis. Still, at least they're only fleecing greedy fuckers trying to sue their own government (who is paid with their own tax money) for money for "distress".

Welcome to America! (what do you mean its here in the UK?)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tracing data...

back in the mists of time, when snail-mail was king, I used to vary my middle initial, to identify the source of junk mail .... it was very interesting too.

EVERY SINGLE company, whose "do not supply my details" box I checked supplied my details.

On a more sinister note, a friend who used this trick in the 1991 census, was not at all surprised when a poll tax demand in that name landed on their uni doormat. IIRC they actually got the council to remove the name, as; mysteriously, they were unable to find the "original form".

3. Pete mcQuail
    Paris Hilton

Great fleas....

..... have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum

4. TeeCee Gold badge

By the Grace of God

It has come to my atention that you sir have been lost detials by Her Majesty's Government so help you. In such I have proposition of mutual beneficence. By purchasing my legal bindings pack of notations and merit, I can offer to recover for you the sume of many thousands of dollars^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hpounds sterling in which to place to your banking security. In order to purchase before court proceedings for my clients, please send one thousand pount (1000UKP) to myself by Western Onion.

Iaama Thievingsod, Lagos.

5. Jon
    Pirate

£5.99 damages

If they paid this £5.99 as a direct result of the losing of their data (other wise they would not have been conned... i mean bought the information) then can't it be a self fullfilling prophecy and they will get compensation. Of course anyone that willingly buys the pack to claim back is caught under the "created" clause.

6. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

I just have to wonder...

... Whether those offering the "compensation packages" are actually just spammers/ ID thieves who are getting gullible people to *pay them* to harvest their details...!

"All we need to verify your claim is your name, address, bank details, credit card number, mother's maiden name...!"

This topic is closed for new posts.