back to article Sarko calls for global Mars exploration gig

Newly-wed French president Nicolas Sarkozy called yesterday for the world's space powers to work together in a global programme to explore Mars, New Scientist reports. Sarkozy, speaking on a trip to the Ariane rocket launch site in French Guiana, declared: "I am convinced that an exploration programme can only be global, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Cooper
    Coat

Ryanair?

Maybe they could get Ryanair to help fund a spacecraft to take them there, you know, patch up their differences. I can see the advertising now, grown women dressed as schoolgirls eating Mars bars as a rocket ship goes into the sky in the background.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

It's there, so we go there

"He added: "Because Mars is there and Mars is accessible to the technologies available to humanity, we cannot refuse to attempt this adventure.""

So is the same with any rock in the vicinity, then ? Let's got there to brag in front of the cameras, and gain nothing but PR out of the taxpayers money ? Imagine the recorded voice of the astronauts: "Ok, I'm putting my foot for the first time on Phobos. A small step for me, and ... er ... well a medium one for humanity. Geez, what a dump ! Even Belfort is nicer ..."

Can't believe we've elected that twat, really. Hope we won't do the same mistake as the US folks did with Bush, but who knows ...

Anon, as the militia is looking for me ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Dear Mr Sarko

Please stop talking about things you nothing about, and spare us all from your tiring French arrogance and smug personality.

4. Tawakalna

zut alors!

Will it become part of the EU? And will Frenchmen living on Mars be able to cast their votes in Eurovision?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

French teamwork....

We must all work together... we can build everything in France you lot sort out the money.....

6. anarchic-teapot
    Alien

Remarkable timing...

considering there just happens to be a series of documentaries about possible missions to Mars on the telly this week. At least I now know which channel His Coleric Shortness (or one of his gophers) watches.

@AC Makes a change from the tiring British arrogance and smug personality of Tony Blair and his ilk, dunnit?

We're going to need a Sarky icon if this continues.

7. amanfromMars Silver badge

Seconded ......and the cheque's in the Post ?

"We must all work together... we can build everything in France you lot sort out the money....."

Good Plan, JonB.

8. Michael
    Linux

Vote fer dustin...yer only man

Will we get the olympic games and crossrail to go to phobos too? or maybe just Tessa Jowells ..........

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: RyanAir

Nice idea, but RyanAir's service to Mars actually terminates at Phobos from where you need to take a connecting bus service for the last 10,000km.

10. al1

mirror

@Coward. To treat others to be arrogant asks for a good level of self-importance ;-)

11. Richard
    Paris Hilton

Pork <-> Barrel

This, of course, would have nothing to do with the expectation that CNES would get shedloads of money out of such a scheme.

Paris, because even a small share of Daddy's billions is quite a lot.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whistling in the (solar) wind

You can feel the nostalgia for lost leadership, for projects with a simple mission statement, for objectives so clear that everyone from the boss to the office cleaner knows why they get out of bed every day.

Fast forward to now. Deception, fraud, double-dealing, and fear - and the higher you go the worse it gets, and those who are supposed to lead can't, won't and don't. Nostalgia for a time when people in the West admired their leaders.

There is no magnetic field to speak of around Mars. The returning capsule will be bringing back corpses if NASA succumbs to its own junk scientists.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To use an Americanism...

Hang on to your wallets!! When Sarko mentions the U.S. contributing "financial resources" before anything else it sounds like he wants us to fork over cash to the French industrial sector.

Meanwhile, despite Europe's alleged skill in robotics, NASA still has two non-French robotic rovers rolling around the surface of Mars, each having exceeded their planned operational life by something in the neighborhood of 1000%-1500%.

It's scary when NASA (the people who crashed a Mars probe into the planet when they mixed up miles and kilometers in their programming and who came to the brilliant conclusion that a 1/4 inch thich carbon composite leading wing edge would not be at risk from 20-30 pound blocks of ice traveling at upwards of the speed of sound) are more competent than whatever the EU has on offer, but that seems to be the case.

14. lucmars

why?

Why Mars when the Moon is nearer?

15. Tawakalna
    Alien

Corpses..?

"The returning capsule will be bringing back corpses"

or aliens, or aliens disguised as corpses in some kind of bizarre Quatermass and the Pit dead but not quite dead invasion of Earth...

..and I for one welcome our new undead Martian masters, and look forward to aiding their conquest of the Earth by supplying them with with fresh live nubile females for them to ravish and horribly consume.

16. lglethal Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

@ lucmars

Because the moon is like soooo 1960's!

17. DV Henkel-Wallace
    Coat

The great Green rush

I like that at the end of this message (and just above the comments) I got the ad, "What's your take on the great Green rush? Join the debate here." So are we to colonise Mars and massacre all the little Green men?

Right, then, first plan should be that upon landing we burn the ships. Oh and bring some blankies of smallpox. Let's see, what's next...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ lucmars

Because it's there.... hmmm.. so is the pub...

This topic is closed for new posts.