back to article iPhone 5 wait drives record Samsung smartphone sales

Samsung steamed ahead of Apple during Q2 to end the quarter with more than double its rival's share of the Western European smartphone market, in marked contrast to the situation in the US. Figures out from market watcher IDC put Apple on 19 per cent, Samsung on 43.6 per cent, from respectively 21.1 per cent and 22 per cent in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

Just proves Apple's legal case

...all those people buying Samsung phones 'cos they thought they were iPhones, and that 'samsung' on the front was probably just an Apple model number?

1. Shagbag

Re: Just proves Apple's legal case

If I were Tim Cock, I'd ramp the price up of the iPhone 5 to the MAX. Let the Apple Fanbois pay through the nose for their 'brand'. Really ramp it up so that they forgo other things like feeding their kids, their kidneys, etc. just to see how far those freakin' weird Apple devotees will go before they cry "it's price is greater than its value".

I'd like to see that.

1. Shagbag

And then turn around and sue them. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are more than 100M iPhone users. Not all of them can be rabid hipster Apple "fanbois" who look like Justin Long. Most iPhone users are just average people with average incomes and average technical competency, like many of my friends and relatives. They didn't do anything to deserve your anti-iPhone hate. What's going wrong with you or your life that you need to make posts like this?

1. mike panero

Most iPhone users I know stole them in a blood drenched argument

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC 18:12GMT - Re: Just proves Apple's legal case

You surely meant average to high income. Where I happen to live right now, the difference in price was significant to make the choice between iPhone and Samsung Galaxy SII an easy one. I admit I wasn't confused at all looking at the two, they are both a fine piece of technology but in the end I had to settle with the one that looked priced reasonably for what it offered.

3. Shagbag

What's with the "anti-iPhone" slant, fanbois? I don't have any favourites. Microsofit is the old Apple and Google blows big time on Privacy.

3. dssf
        Joke

Re: Just proves Apple's legal case... and...

If Tim does it on a whim, it'll blow up in his face and be Apple's first bone-ef~fied cockup, ehh?

I... Couldn't ... Re...sist...

2. N13L5
      Pint

What a retarded premise! Its not Apple's iPhone 5 wait leading to good Samsung sales. Its pretty damned good Samsung products leading to good Samsung sales :P

Otherwise, you'd see Motorola and Sony and HTC and RIM all selling great too, no?

Maybe a lot of people are buying Samsung, cause they're annoyed with Apple by now? who knows...

I was already annoyed with my iPhone 3G, having to fight Apple every step of the way to try to do what I want on the phone rather than what Apple wants me to do on it.

The new Note is another good reason why I'm not even 'waiting' for any iPhone, I've always loved Wacom's pressure sensitive tabs... now I get to have one on my phone with a big enough screen to draw stuff anywhere I have an idea.

Pair that with Autodesk Sketch and that double strength battery, why wouldn't Samsung have great sales

2. Joerg
    FAIL

Nonsense fake numbers...

Twisting numbers as per marketing dept wishes but far from truth.

From these fake stats it would seem like Apple had just a 20% or less market share and so few profits...

Because counting all the ultra cheap Android $50-$150 phones makes sense,really? Those can't even be regarded as smartphones at all. That's just old hardware packaged into cheap phones to make a buck.

The simple fact that Apple has 70-80% of whole market profits should tell everything.

Twisting numbers can't change the fact that Android is a joke (all manufacturers combined can't even get close to 30% of Apple's profits), WindowsPhone7 and upcoming 8 with MetroUI/ModernUI is a huge failure and Nokia since they trashed their good SymbianOS with Qt APis just kept going downhill with Microsoft childish live tiles craziness, then RIM which is toast and has no chance at all to survive.

Add to this the fact that over 90% of those that buy any Android phone don't want to pay even $0.50 for an app..and in fact developers on the platform can't make a buck without some in-app advertising that then obviously make the apps/games an unusable joke and people end up not using those...

While iOS users 90% of them even with jailbreak just buy the cheap apps/games supporting developers and ensuring that the platform can not just survive but keep getting better and bigger.

1. thegrouch
      Thumb Down

Re: Nonsense fake numbers...

You are the ghost of Steve Jobs and I claim my £5

2. DAN*tastik

Apart from agreeing or not with your comment, the part where you say

"Twisting numbers can't change the fact that Android is a joke (all manufacturers combined can't even get close to 30% of Apple's profits)"

That doesn't prove anything - Mc Donald's profits are much higher than Planet Organic's. Ferrari's profit ( I know very little about cars, so please correct me if I am wrong, I just googled figures ) seem to be lower than Tata's or Fiat's.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Typical idiotphone user! One sided bollox. Knows fck all.

Too many assumptions being made to be able to take this nonsense seriously.

4. Lutin

You should relax more.

5. Hellcat
      Facepalm

"The simple fact that Apple has 70-80% of whole market profits should tell everything."

Indeed it does... It tells me how easily money is parted from the brainwashed. They must have seen you coming mate!

6. Chris 146
      Flame

This is rich as apple charge a fortune every year for a minor upgrade at best, and i still argue the iPhone is not a smartphone it still is unable to do some basic features without being Jail broken. Android has far more going for it then Apple iOS which is looking old and outdated.

When your old enough to use a Real Smartphone then you should be aloud to comment on news forums.

1. Peter Storm
        Facepalm

"When your old enough to use a Real Smartphone then you should be aloud to comment on news forums."

Made my day...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Then you clearly don't know what a smartphone is. A smartphone is often defined as a phone that you can add software onto to extend its capabilities or create applications for using programming APIs.

But the term is quite hazy at best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

(Smartphone user since 2001).

1. Mark .

That used to be a sensible definition, but the problem is it's way out of date - around 2004, most phones had the ability to have software added, but instead they were marketed as "feature" phones. Meanwhile, the original Iphone doesn't fit this definition, yet was marketed as a smartphone. And all the smartphone sales stats, such as the ones in this article, ignore the feature phones (even though these days they also have touchscreens, Wifi, GPS, etc) but include Apple.

Personally I'd be happy to include all feature phones as smartphones, and not include the original Iphone. But if instead we wanted to have a definition that distinguished feature phones from smartphones, I think it should be to do with how open and customisable (like a general computer, as with the older traditional definition) versus locked down they are - feature phones don't have the same ability to replace things like the default keyboard, as smartphones do. As the OP suggests, Apple is again the one that needs to be categorised as a feature phone for this to work.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As other posters have pointed out, the definition of "smartphone" is so hazy as to be meaningless. Years ago it used to mean that you could get your email on the phone, or look at actual web pages, or put apps on the phone. These days you can do all of that with the cheapest, most basic phones, so any "smartphone" vs. "feature phone" definitions are going to be arbitrary and irrelevant. Why even discuss it unless you have a childish need to be able to call your own phone smart and other peoples' phones dumb?

As for Apple charging a fortune for minor upgrades, that doesn't jibe with reality. First of all, Apple doesn't even offer upgrades. Second, there's a strong market for used iPhones on Craigslist, eBay, etc. so you can usually sell your old iPhone and buy the latest one pretty cheap. But ultimately I would say most average people (who don't root/Jailbreak their phones) don't need to upgrade their iPhones very often anyway, since iOS updates keep the phones pretty current for at least 2-3 years.

7. Gashead

iJoerg, Android is no joke. I bought an Android G1 followed, a few months later, by an iPhone 3GS. I gave the iPhone a chance, honestly, but more and more it sat in my bag while the pioneering G1 allowed me to do real things well. Come the Motorola Milestone I passed my iPhone on to a sucker at a premium price who has since himself ditched it in favour of an Android phone and tablet. If you want to ask people on Twitter what time X Factor starts then an iPhone is great, if you want to find out for yourself while still enjoying your timeline then get yourself in on the joke.

8. Platelet
      Joke

I suspect a Topper Hijack attempt

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2012-09-02/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dilbert%2Fdaily_strip+%28Dilbert+Daily+Strip+-+UU%29

9. Mark .

Market share and profit are not the same thing. Just because one company might have a higher share of the profit, doesn't mean it must also have high market share - and it's ridiculous to try to twist the numbers to match, when they are different things.

This is an article about sales, not profits. And as a consumer, who cares about profits? The only people who benefit from the profits are the shareholders - and if you are one of those for Apple, you're a shill with a conflict of interest here. Never in the most heated Windows vs Mac/Linux/Amiga/whatever debate did a Windows fan go "But look how much money Bill Gates makes" - no one cares. We do care about sales, as it shows what people like, and how common various platforms are.

I challenge you to give me a definition of "smartphone" that includes the original Iphone (couldn't even run apps), but not the lower end Android phones? (Or indeed, feature phones, come to that - as I say below, the smartphone definition is contrived anyway.) Discounting phones because they are able to be sold at a lower price is not just spin, but nonsensical - it means you punish companies in your reporting, for delivering things at a better price!

On Android, you don't have to pay money as much, because there's so much available for free. As a user, this is better. As a developer, if you aren't able to offer better value than what people are giving away for free, then you need to rethink your business model.

The only thing I agree with you on is that I too like Symbian and Qt.

10. fandom

"The simple fact that Apple has 70-80% of whole market profits should tell everything."

One of the reasons I have been long Apple a couple times is the way Apple fans like to boast about how much they are overcharged.

11. vic 4
      Pint

Cheers Joerg, can't decide if I should upvote you or not for the sheer entertainment factor.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The idiotphone sells well in the US, SHOCKER!

Say no more.

4. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Ummm, no. It just proves that Samsung phones sell better than Apples. Probably because they are just better.

That's what happens when you give consumers a choice. Something Apple just does not get as a company. Trying to litigate success in the marketplace seldom works and often has a negative effect.

1. andreas koch
      Holmes

@ NoneSuch - Re: Just proves Apple's legal case

>. . .

That's what happens when you give consumers a choice.

. . .<

I agree. And that is exactly why Apple is fighting so hard to keep this choice from the consumer.

As I don't like their "almost fascist" attitude either, nothing I buy will have an apple on it.

We can only hope that the market will be saturated before the iPhone5 hits the high street.

But then, as I rate it as a fashion article: has any lady ever stopped buying handbags?

If you can afford an YSL one, you will buy another, however hideous it is.

In this class of people Veblen Goods are important.

2. VinceH
      Facepalm

" Ummm, no. It just proves that Samsung phones sell better than Apples. Probably because they are just better."

Psst! Keep this to yourself, but I think the OP might have been kidding.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hmmm

"iPhone 5 wait drives record Samsung smartphone sales"

Or could it just be that Samsung have a better product hmm?

6. JDX Gold badge

When ARE we due the iP5?

I don't want one, but I have Apple shares :)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Joerg

Apple has a majority share in the USA only (barely, and it is eroding daily). Elsewhere in the world, it is barely over single digit's in most markets.

I don't care if you use Apple devices. I do care that you abuse facts to substantiate your case.

1. andreas koch
      Paris Hilton

@ AC 1313h - Re: @ Joerg

Have you considered that Joerg might be an American who hasn't heard of the "USA != world" thing?

That'd excuse him somewhat . . .

8. Big_Ted
    Thumb Down

The simple fact that Apple has 70-80% of whole market profits should tell everything.

@Joerg

Yes it tells me that Apple are a monopoly on their OS and so can stiff those who want an iOS device and rip them off profit wise.

It also tells me that compotition in Android devices means that the profit margins are lower so we as consumers are getting a better deal for out money.

As to MS & Rim boy dream on MS have a powerful chance of success purely on enterprise wil IT departements likeing the idea of phone, tablet, laptop & desktop having a unified system to support.

Rim also are not dead yet, they are growing in some new markets and once BBX finally arrives with new phones etc could become the new cool for the younger market as BBM is perfect for them and the new OS is so slick it makes iOS look even more like a Vtech learning UI.

1. andreas koch
      Pint

@ Big_Ted - Re: The simple fact . . .

> . . .

Vtech learning UI

. . .<

Love it! Bruahahaha!

You're the smilemaker of the day.

9. dotdavid
    Boffin

"But colossal growth is easy when you come from next to nothing - retaining it and building a big user base is something else altogether. "

I do hope you're referring to Windows Mobile's growth numbers rather than Android's. After all, Android has had a big user base for quite some time now (unsurprising considering it ticked the price *and* quality boxes).

As for the growth figures of Windows Mobile, see this obligatory XKCD.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

More proof, there's an xkcd for everything...

However, those Win Phone sales aren't bad. Assuming all the Nokia smartphone sales are Lumias, and some of them aren't still Symbian (all listed as feature phones): That would mean that Lumia alone had captured about 8% of European smartphone sales last quarter. Add in the odd Samsung and HTC, and that's none too shabby for a phone OS that many people keep wanting to insist is dead. It would also give a bit of hope to Nokia, I think it would be a shame if Nokia went pop, so I welcome that.

There's a couple of big caveats there. Some of those sales should be Symbian. And they're European figures. The Nokia 900 supposedly had a great start to US sales, but then seems to have tailed off. Finally, Nokia may have had to do a lot of discounting to earn its sales. You can get Lumia 710s for under £100 unlocked at Carphone Warehouse. Buying market share might be a reasonable strategy given Nokia and Microsoft's predicament, but it's also expensive.

1. Mark .

I believe the worldwide Q2 sales for Nokia were roughly 6m Symbian, 4m WP (sites like All About Symbian have stories with links to the stats). I don't know how that relates to the European market, but yes, a surprising amount of their smartphone figures are still coming from Symbian.

Not that there isn't hope for WP - the sales have been increasing significantly since Nokia's support. The question is whether that will tail off, or grow with WP8...

10. the-it-slayer
    Facepalm

Although i'm not a huge fan of fandroids/androids...

I must admit, this articles smells of poo IMHO. Whether the iPhone 5 got released a month ago, gets released now or in 2 weeks time; wouldn't necessarily make any difference to the sales figures of Samsung's smartphones. There maybe the odd few that may of decided to not bother waiting (maybe a guessimate of around 5 - 15% max?).

Most people buy whatever phone is out at the time. Only the minority people waiting for the iP5 because of a contract renewal or just simply waiting because they want the new one won't make them impulse to a Samsung phone.

@Big_Ted - "It also tells me that compotition in Android devices means that the profit margins are lower so we as consumers are getting a better deal for out money."

Ummmmm.... maybe there's better competition at the lower end because Nokia are almost dead and WinMo/RIM are out there in the distance somewhere. But equivalent like-for-like Android phones with the same/similar features as the iPhone are not neccessarily cheaper. A SIII is only £20 cheaper SIM-Free to the iPhone 4S 16GB. Pay monthly, it's the same to buy it outright almost with a slightly higher monthly cost (around £5). The unfortunate thing is that we only have a 2 horse race for smartphones currently and that really doesnt push any costs down to what you think maybe a better deal for only a few pounds cheaper.

1. Gashead

Re: Although i'm not a huge fan of fandroids/androids...

Comparing like for like pop along to Amazon and you have a 16Gb Galaxy Nexus at £295 or a 16Gb iPhone 4S at £495. Could be a clearing of the decks prior to a Galaxy Nexus 4G (i.e. one advertised as 4G that actually works with the 4G available in the country in which it is sold) but either way 40% cheaper is one hell of a difference.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

It's entirely possible for the iPhone to have zero effect on Android sales. i.e. people have made their choice of OS and never move. And therefore a delayed iPhone wouldn't change Samsung's sales numbers. However, it could have a large effect on market share.

This could be true if the smartphone market has grown slower in the last quarter, as people who want the new iPhone hold off on their purchase. Then you get a rush of sales, pushing the size of the overall market up. That would make Samsung's market share artificially high now, but knock it back on an overall annual basis later.

We'll know more after next quarter. It's possible for all OSes sales to grow, and yet some decline relatively, as was happening to Symbian up to a couple of years ago, when it started to fall off a cliff.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@the-it-slayer

I must admit, this articles smells of poo IMHO

The key word in the article is "shipment". That does not equal sales. I have no idea where all Nokia's phones are in Western Europe but they are certainly not really filling the shelves here in Germany.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what i cannot understand...

...is why some people who favour one device, seem to almost to resent the fact there are alternative products.

Do they not realise that without vibrant and viable competition, their own favoured platform will simple stagnate, like Internet Explorer did in the early 2000s until Firefox and Chrome broke open the market?

Apple certainly does not benefit from Samsung's amazing success, but Apple users do, just as Microsoft IE users benefited from Firefox and Chrome.

1. auburnman

Re: what i cannot understand...

Maybe they're hacked off that they're still locked into contracts and jealous they can't upgrade to the S3. I stuck by HTC on my last upgrade and while they've been pretty good to me, watching my mucker on his lighter, thinner, larger screened S3 does make me envious...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what i cannot understand...

Not to disagree with your point but I see it claimed often that Android has advanced iOS. I'm curious to know what features or design cues you think are in iOS because Apple was feeling competitive pressure from Android? Because I can't think of a single one. Maybe the current notification UI but I'd have to check the dates on that--it came from an old Jailbreak project called MobileNotifier.

1. Mephistro
        Joke

Re: what i cannot understand...(@AC 4th September 2012 18:32 GMT )

"I'm curious to know what features or design cues you think are in iOS because Apple was feeling competitive pressure from Android?"

Apple used a different approach to the competitive pressure issue.

They sued the fuck out of the biggest android smartphone maker, that's what they did!

12. Ryan Clark

Confused

I know quite a few people with iPhones, I don't know one who is waiting for the 5. Everyone I know who has a new phone has a droid one.

1. Mark Wilson

Re: Confused

I know one, he even agreed that WinPho was superior to iOS yet is waiting for iP5 because it is Apple. A fool and his money.

13. vmistery

I have absolutely no doubt though that next month or whenever the iPhone 5 is released these sales figures will be very much different. I am actually holding off upgrading My S2 until its released so I can decide if it is actually worth spending the extra on the iPhone. TBH I am also interested to see what MS brings.too!

14. Alan Denman

They all caught the bus !

Why wait for something that will copy much of the older Galaxy S2 ?

History waits for man nor Apple.

15. Mark .

"Smart" vs "feature" is just marketing

The whole smart vs feature is just how the companies choose to market the phones - Apple label 100% of their phones as "smart" (even though the original one couldn't even run apps), whilst Nokia and Samsung don't. Whilst "feature" vaguely correlates to lower end, with the low end WP and Android devices the line is blurred. There is no objective distinction between them (feature phones do all the same things smartphones do, just with a different name - they are certainly not the same kind of thing as dumb phones).

So yes, Nokia have lost out to Samsung, though they are still 2nd place. Saying that they are behind Apple, when you compare 100% of Apple sales to only a fraction of Nokia's sales is just spin...

"devices IDC classes as smartphones"

Which is itself a useless definition, although in practice I think the various statmakers just go by what terms the manufacturers themselves use.

"Android now accounts for 65 per of smartphone shipments in the region, its 71 per cent annual growth rate exceeded only by Windows Phone's 874 per cent. But colossal growth is easy when you come from next to nothing"

Indeed (as parodied in a recent XKCD) - but it's worth noting that the media gave the same kind of positive coverage for Android and Iphone. E.g., I remember a BBC article in 2010 falsely spinning it as Iphone having faster grown that Symbian, because they looked at relative growth - even though Symbian had far larger sales, and in fact was growing *faster* in absolute numbers. Nokia also got negative coverage for years due to falling market share (another misleading stat, in a growing market). So I wonder, with WP now having the explosive relative growth, and Apple's share falling, is the media spin going to favour WP over Apple? Or will they just switch the statistics they cover, so that it still benefits Apple?

As for Iphone:

"But this annual update frenzy - and the current-model sales dip that precedes it - is now a traditional feature of the smartphone business."

Except Apple's sales are now dipping all year round, with only an upspike the quarter after the release, whilst Samsung sales are holding up all year round. People are buying Android and Samsung because that's what they want.

1. Joerg
      Thumb Down

Re: "Smart" vs "feature" is just marketing

You are dreaming and living in Samsung/Google marketing dept fantasy world if you seriously can see Apple sales getting any lower..

People want Android? That is the biggest marketing lie ever.

Google with Android created a huge fraud. Nothing more than that. Bad products, bad support, no standards, low performance, a mess just like Linux is all about and Java virtual machine on top of it made things only worse.

The only Android phones that people want are the ultra-cheap ones because they are cheap and those not willing to spend $500-$700 on a smartphone just don't care about product quality and usability much.. in fact they don't even try to buy apps, they want everything for free or nothing.

Surely anyone spending $500-$700 on an Android smartphone just to hate Apple regardless of actual product quality must be really gullible and enjoy drinking the Google marketing machine kool aid.

1. Tom 38
        Stop

Surely anyone spending $500-$700 on an Android smartphone just to hate Apple regardless of actual product quality must be really gullible

Not really; at the high end there really isn't much difference in quality between the S3 and an iPhone. The iPhone has a more standardised and easy to use UI, but both are excellent. The build quality on both is top notch, the apps are virtually identical across both (but with more quality paid apps in the Apple app store). There are good reasons for buying either.

TBH, anyone paying $500-$700 on any phone upgrade is slightly gullible. Anyone who had an S2 but upgraded to an S3 is just as gullible as someone with a iPhone 4S waiting for an iPhone 5.

(disclaimer: I have iphone (4) and ipad (1). I'll upgrade them when they break)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
        Happy

Ooh, you're going to get some downvotes...

You're also being a tad unfair on Android. I know plenty of non-techy people who are extremely happy with their Android phones. The fact that I might have to set them up for them isn't just because Android can be a bit complicated, as I know plenty of people who can't set up an iPhone either...

Some of the Android cheapies can be good value. Although I suspect that it's the mid-price where Android wins out. The iPhone 3GS is waaayy overpriced at £300, and you can get a lot of Android for that, or a Nokia Lumia 800 (if WinPho7 floats your boat).

I'm also sure there are plenty of people who want the latest Samsungs. Because they've got huge, lovely screens. A lot of people wouldn't know the difference between Android and iOS if you explained it to them with a cattle prod and a large hammer. Not because they're stupid, just because they don't care.

Personally I don't particularly like Android. It doesn't suit my needs. However, it's not total crap and it's not a fraud.

Although, I'm thinking it's time to call all the top-end mobiles out. If I can buy an iPad 3 for £400, how come an iPhone 4G costs £100 more!? Equally, I can have 3 Google Nexus 7 tabets for less than the price of a Samsung Galaxy III. I guess it's because mobiles are bough on hire purchase agreements disguised as phone contracts, whereas you pay for tablets up-front...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Haha!

Joerg, you are a class act.

You've brightened up my day no end.

You're like some kind of fundamentalist, jihadist, foaming-at-the-mouth rottweiler of a fanboi.

Hilarious. Do keep it up.

(AC because I'm slightly concerned that you'll try to find out my address or something)

4. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

Is Apple paying you by the hour or is it a contractual sort of thing?

Your posts are so full of holes and hyperbole I am amazed they have any mass at all.

People choose Android phones because they want the CHOICE to be able to use the phones as they see fit and not as Apple wants you to. For example, I do not like the default keyboard on my S3 - simple - download another one - and that is just ONE example. Apple on the other hand are so closed as to make a ducks ass look like a bloody black hole.

Lets see:

Want to put something on an iphone? - you have to use the bloated itunes crap. Android phone? simply plug it in and copy it over.

Expand storage? (admittedly not all android phones do this but most do) simply plug in an sd card. Iphone? new bloody phone.

Call reliability? my work iphone? - drops calls constantly, my s3? no problems at all. Same network.

Bluetooth file transfer? Iphone - lets not go there.

Turn off 3g and use 2g in poor signal areas? Android - check - iphone - not any more.

A phone made out of glass both sides (know anyone with an iphone who does not have a crack in it?) - Android - nope - iphone - yep.

The list goes on and on.

There. I did it. I fed the troll.

1. Tom 38

I've had an iphone since the 3G launched and never cracked the screen. I have seen a lot of smashed iphone screens though (working iphones underneath).

I don't use itunes and synch music just fine to my phone.

Bluetooth file transfer - theres an app for that.

What happens on Android if you swap out an SD card that has your running app on it? IE, how feasible is it actually to swap SD cards, if you install your apps to SD card?

1. vic 4
            Happy

Re: how feasible is it actually to swap SD cards

Very feasable and practical thanks very much.

2. Ivan Headache

OK Jim I'll bite.

People choose Android - NO they get given android. Probably 80% of non-iphone users get upgrades with Android because that's what the phone company gives them - more than likely they don't even know it's Android!

Want to put something on an iPhone. Log into the App store and install it - sitting in the Railway Station or in the Dentist's waiting-room or even walking down Oxford Street - no iTunes in sight!

Expand storage - well it would be nice but I've got enough for my needs.

Call reliability - my wife's Samsung is just as bad as my iPhone and vice-versa.

Bluetooth file transfer- what's that? I use Dropbox

The 3G/2G para means nothing to me.

Phone made out of glass - well Mine's not cracked, and in the last year I've seen only 2 cracked screens out of several hundred iphones. and as it happened, last night I was sitting next to a chap in the Olympic stadium and he dropped his iPhone about 6 feet onto a concrete floor - NO DAMAGE (and the stadium was OK too)

5. Mark .

I don't recall I said that Apple's sales would get lower? I said they had fallen, which is true this year - in fact, both in terms of share and absolute numbers. Though given that the next Iphone isn't out until Q4, and given how seasonal their sales are, it doesn't seem unlikely that their sales will fall yet further in Q3.

Yes, people want Android and Samsung phones - I'm relying on that thing known as "actual facts about sales in the market". I don't see why being cheaper is a problem - if Samsung can deliver what people want, *and* do so at a better price, then more credit to them. However, the success of phones like the S2 and S3 shows that people are buying at the high end too (indeed, I suspect that even with just the high end phones, Android would still outsell Iphone - but it's a poor comparison anyway, as it just rewards Apple for being expensive).

I care about usability. That's why I stayed away from Apple's feature-phone like OS.

6. nsld
        Mushroom

Joerg

You are a genius, how much are Samsung paying you to be an Apple fan?

Its not that you dont have the first clue, its the fact you are so passionate about something you clearly know fuck all about.

I feel your energy, your passion and if it wasnt for the interwebs probably your frothing spittle as you launch forth on your crusade.

My jedi powers tell me you might be German, will you be annexing Korea shortly?

1. andreas koch
          Unhappy

> . . .

My jedi powers tell me you might be German

. . .<

I feel slightly insulted now.

Nevermind, mate, it's OK; a bit of krautbashing ever so often keeps the Aussies from thinking that Brits only hate Americans.

Happy

andreas,

You've got it wrong. We admire the Germans, but are a bit wary of them. We like the Yanks and the Aussies, being rude about them is just sport. It's the French we hate.

We've been paying Germans to kill Frenchmen for hundreds of years, and there's little reason to change a successful formula now. Saving the Frogs from Germany was a temporary aberration, in the last century. Even if the Germans did let us down in the American War of Independence. Darnned rebels! Refusing to stand still, in bright shiny outfits, so we could slaughter them! Still, on the bright side it did bankrupt France...

16. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Hack N Sack

Is it an accident that Apple went after the Smartphone OEM that is outselling them? I don't think so. The Galaxy S3 has capabilities that exceed that of the iPhone. Ever notice that aside from the Camera and Siri, the iPhone 4S commercials offer little else? By contrast, look at the Galaxy S3 commercials and see what they offer. Case closed. Apple loses. The yearly incremental upgrade cycle will come to a head in about a week when they release the iPhone 4G and it doesn't live up to the hype. Then watch what Samsung releases and the hype that surrounds that.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if anything it's delaying me from moving

Looking towards an S3 but waiting for the iPhone 5 to be launched so that the price of the S3 inevitably drops at the same time. Either that or a new Galaxy (S4 one has to presume). I'm not fussy.

If anything it's delaying me from buying Samsung.

18. Frederick Tennant

funny thing that!

Samsung is doing very well as they are giving away their New! phone (already!!!) at well under Apple's price (source Carphone Warehouse uk). I do not recall any stories of people camping outside phone shops ready to buy the Galaxy 3? or people scampering round at every little bit of rumor, when leaked, of their phones.

I personally think that the '4s' is their best phone yet, as its better built than previous models and the price will fall through the floor when the 5 arrives, and girls, 4 inches is not going to help lol.

its all getting a bit boring now.

1. Gashead

Re: funny thing that!

So the ultimate measure of a phone's quality is the number of people camping outside phone shops prior to the release date? They need to get an iLife.

2. Gashead
      Alert

I'm not very impressed with Apple announcing the announcement date for the iPhone 5 as 12th September before the Paralympics have ended. A far higher number of disabled visitors to London than normal will have to contend with fanbois camping out and blocking the pavement outside the fruit shop on Regent Street.

Happy

That's OK. All you need is spikes on the hubs of your wheelchair, and the queues will soon part, to let your through. Come to think of it, why don't they do that in wheelchair rugby?

...Possibly because it would reduce the amount of violence...

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All this proves is Samsung have more products, its hardly rocket science

Samsung have 30 odd phones. So saying they outsell Apple who have 4 iterations of a single device, well duh. Comparing Apples and Pears.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All this proves is Samsung have more products, its hardly rocket science

That's a stupid argument. They may have 30-odd phones, but people buying them only buy an average of about one, not about 30-odd.

1. Tom 38

Say there are two bakers. One produces patisserie, fine croissants and their ilk, whilst the other does both patisserie and boulangerie - cake and bread.

The patisserie sells 30,000 items of patisserie one quarter. The boulangerie sells 100,000 items of patisserie and bread combined.

The boulanger says "Hah, your croissants are shit, look how many more I've sold". Doesn't quite add up does it?

1. Gashead

Then the patissier sues the boulanger for using the same oven-based technique for cooking food.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

the patissier sues the boulanger for using the same oven-based technique for cooking food.

Surely, since this is croissants we're talking about, they'd sue over the method of folding in the edges to make them nice and curved ;-)

2. Mark .

One cake shop sells 100,001 iCakes. Another cake shop sells 100,000 of its cakes, and another 100,000 with a cherry on top.

Only an idiot would claim the former is the more popular - which is sadly what fans and the media are doing for Apple.

Combining product types is only flawed when they're different kinds of products - so yes, your example is flawed because people might buy patisserie and bread. However, as the person you replied to points out, it's ludicrous to suggest that Samsung's sales are only higher because people are out there buying multiple phones from them. (If anything, it's probably more likely to be the Apple users fanatical enough to buy every iPhone "iteration"...)

As for the OP - maybe people are buying Samsung/Android more *because* they like the choice. And we're not interested in something that's merely an "iteration" of a 5 year old phone.

20. Tom 35

Waithing for iPhone 5

But they were waiting for the iPhone 5 last year too (only got a 4s).

21. Grazman
    Stop

Mine is better than yours

The patent/innovation argument has once again, for the most part, descended into Spectrum vs. C64. Amiga vs Atari ST. It's our footie. Tribal wars persist in Geeksville. (me being one).

22. dssf
    Facepalm

Likely the reason for the trial: gambit, bluff tactics

Here is another story i will link which el reg can whip up a story on soon thereafter...

http://mobile.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/iPhone-5-Despite-Apple-Hype-Will-Be-Disappointingly-Conservative-532222/

May be that the story annoys some, irritates others, but it is eweek's story. Still i expect 20more, unsubstantiated, emotional, irrational downvotes on top of the 75+ hits i took on 10 or so posts in under 20 hours... Some with "reachback downvotes", people going back and downvoting a week's worth of posts, likely maliciously.... But, whatever...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like