back to article Cambodia set to boot out Pirate Bay co-founder

A co-founder of The Pirate Bay website is to be deported from Cambodia, police have confirmed. Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, who co-founded the infamous BitTorrent site in 2003 with Peter Sunde, Carl Lundstrom and Fredrik Neij, will be sent packing from the southeast Asian country to Sweden where, in April 2009, he was convicted - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quick...

Flee to the Ecuadorian embassy...

1. geekclick

Re: Quick...

Even that has its downsides, such as cohabiting with Assange(tm)!

1. Fred Mbogo
        Trollface

I wonder if the condom will break in that case...according to some dubious sources Mr. Assange is hump-happy.

Best not to bend over in front of him.

2. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Sorry, the Ecuadorian embassy is already taken. But he might have better luck trying North Korea. I hear they don't think much of intellectual property law over there lately...

1. CmdrX3

I hear they don't think much of personal property there either.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cambodia did the same to Gary Glitter so I guess he could go to Vietnam same as him

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forever is a long time...

...to run and try to escape prison. I'm betting he ends up in prison soon.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

I heard Pakistan also is a good place to hide...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet TPB just links to stuff, same as Google. Fair enough, it's linking with malice aforethought, but it's still only linking to stuff.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

err...

There were all those torrent trackers they ran...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: err...

Still just glorified linking. Anyway, that was then.

Just strikes me as a little OTT that all these international laws and extradition gubbins is being waved around for linking. Seriously, you could get away with a bit of genocide and still get less crap than these guys are attracting.

Just shows you where the money is.

1. Psyx
          Pint

Is it possible to do a 'bit' of genocide?

Isn't that like committing a quarter of a murder?

2. Psyx
          Alert

"Seriously, you could get away with a bit of genocide and still get less crap than these guys are attracting."

Isn't that the fault of our media, though?

It's not like the government tells us what to pay attention to. It's the media that focuses attention. There are plenty of mass-murdering fuck-heads with warrants to their name, but we're not interested in them, apparently.

Which is sad.

The threat of us perhaps not being 'allowed' to download a movie illegally is more important to us than hundreds of people being shot in the face because they believed in the wrong invisible, unprovable entity.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

That's more or less my point. I'm pretty bloody sure that there's bigger things to worry about -just in Cambodia- than someone who coded a linky site 5 years ago (or whatever).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can't get past..

"Gottfrid Svartholm Warg", what an absolutely wonderful bezerker name!

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon:

Due to bad weather conditions, all flights from Cambodia to Sweden to be routed through the USofA. Thank you all for your cooperation.

P.S. just wondering, can a country arrest someone who is being routed through their airport?

1. CmdrX3

Yes, they can. Although at this point there is no arrest warrant out there for him, although that doesn't mean that won't change any day now.

9. WireNews+Co
    Meh

I guess it depends on which country he arrived from; i.e. the country immediately before he arrived in Cambodia. If Gottfrid had the misfortune to fly via the U-Stated Nights, then, he's on his way there.

10. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Have Sweden joined some kind of extradition loyalty card scheme or something? Like buses, you wait for one international criminal mastermind to be arrested by the Swedish, and 2 come along at once...

Why can't people just do the decent thing, and go to Northern Cyprus? No extradition treaties there. Apparently Asil Nadir only came back here because he'd seen the huge loss the Serious Fraud Office had taken in damages, for their most recent balls-up, and wanted a piece of the action. What a shame he was found guilty! Tee hee.

11. mark l 2 Silver badge

Obviously Gottfrid Svartholm Warg hadn't paid enough of a bribe to the police/judge in Cambodia for them to turn a blind eye to the arrest warrant as the legal system there is pretty corrupt. Or maybe the RIAA/MPAA had just paid a bigger bribe for them to get him deported.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Doubt there's enough cash in the world to outbid the entertainment industry.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What goes around...

...eventually comes around. Sweden will welcome Warg with open arms and a prison cell. Good luck mate.

13. Mectron

Cambodia

Now a ENEMY NATION

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cambodia

Not really. Any fugitive should expect to be caught and returned to the country they fled. TBP people should expect to be punished for their crimes. They flaunted their crimes, were prosecuted and sentenced. End of story. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

1. SJRulez

Hmm, yep prosecuted after the US threatened sanctions against Sweden if it didn't co-operate

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

SJRulez-

Your baseless alligations are laughable. Sweden has copyright laws and the Swedish judicial system found TPB owners violated law. They even received an appeal hearing where their jail time was reduced and their fines increased. They knew they were violating law and they flaunted it. Now they are being held accountable for their violations of law. This should be a lesson. You can fight the laws of society but you will never win. Prisons are filled with those who believed they were above the law. They are wrong.

1. SJRulez

Yep that's why the lead investigator left the police shortly after the raid to go work for the MPAA and Warner Brothers and had previously done private work for them before, not slightly suspicious at all let alone a conflict of interests.

And not to mention the leaked memo:

A letter titled "Re: The Pirate Bay" from the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) to Dan Eliasson, State Secretary at the Swedish Ministry of Justice, was dated two months before the raid and hinted at trade reprisals ("It is certainly not in Sweden's best interests to earn a reputation as a place where utter lawlessness is tolerated") and urged him to "exercise your influence to urge law enforcement officers in Sweden to take much needed action against The Pirate Bay"

Yep utterly baseless and so laughable, so are you an AC, MPAA Employee or Gov stooge??

"You can fight the laws of society but you will never win." no but in this case you can come up with a disaster plan that exceeds even that of the big boys and have your site back up in less than a few hours.

14. mhenriday
    Thumb Down

What we need now are for the cables that have been going back and forth

regarding this case to be leaked, so we can follow the money and see just who paid whom. Or have the RIAA and the MPAA and the US and Swedish governments learned from previous indiscretions and «negotiated» with the relevant Cambodian authorities face-to-face, with all the cash in paper bags ? Oh well, at least we ḱnow that (the so-called «rights-holders» version of) justice has been served....

Henri

1. night troll
      Pirate

Re: What we need now are for the cables that have been going back and forth

Strange that the United States Trade Representative, Ron Kirk went to Cambodia on the day that Gottfrid Svartholm was arrested. Also strange that the Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Valery Khoroshkovsky was in the US on the day Demonoid was shut down by Ukrainian police. Maybe the MAFFIA have learned their lessons and are getting their bought and paid for representatives to deal face-to-face with the other governments so as to not leave a paper trail. I would have thought it would have been cheaper to bribe the other governments direct instead of going through US politicians, I suppose they want to see some return on their "investment" in this US election year.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not working...

For Warg denial ain't working.

16. DanceMan
    Flame

Cambodian Justice

took over 20 years to put any of the Kmer Rouge leaders on trial for the genocide of 2 million people. Four years to deport Warg. Glad to see they have their priorities straight.

About time to play "Holiday in Cambodia" by the Dead Kennedys again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like