back to article Hands on with LG's 21:9 monitors

With so many telly boxes out there, it seems likely an on-board tuner on the TV itself will become a thing of the past in the not too distant. Perhaps LG’s EA93 21:9 aspect monitor, announced at IFA, offers a clue to the shape of things to come. LG EA93 21:9 monitor A 29in monitor touting a 2560 x 1080-pixel resolution it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dazed and Confused

Argh!

Argh! another 1080 line display.

Thanks for some pixels on the side, but please please please can we get back to ensuring at least 1200 lines. This isn't 2001 and this isn't funny.

Even if you want to watch videos, you might like to be able to have some screen space to put controls or other stuff.

At least they're also offering a 27" 1200 line screen.

1. AceRimmer1980
      Pint

Re: Argh!

+1. I recently needed to source a new 24" monitor, and the selection of those that can do 1920x1200 pix is pitiful.

Note to manufacturers: This isn't a telly, it's a monitor. To be connected to a PC*. To *do work on*. We need a massive desktop for many open windows at once, and playing videos is only a *tiny fraction* of how it'll be used.

*Other computers are available.

1. two00lbwaster

The best of which is the Dell U2412m. I'm glad at least one manufacturer recognises this market. Unfortunately, they're not exactly the £100 monitors I'd usually buy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"you might like to be able to have some screen space to put controls or other stuff."

how about putting the controls on the side instead of underneath?

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: how about putting the controls on the side instead of underneath?

Because actually I don't give a s*&t about displaying video, what I want to be able to do is comfortably display 1280x1024 desktops inside a window on my screen, which is largely what pays for the screen in the first place.

Of course if I could display 1600x1200 or bigger desktops inside a window that would be all the better, but 1280x1024 brings displays up to about 1988 spec when 1024x768 was deemed too low res to live with.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

good

its about bloody time too.

broadcast tv is on its last legs around the world,its about time makers realised this.

perhaps the price of decent grade,sensible size monitors will start to go down.

have never been able to work out why the same screen with a tv tuner shoved in is cheaper than a straight monitor.

3. twelvebore
    Unhappy

Ugh, 1080 again.

Waiting for the 40" 3972x1600 pix version for some proper wide-screen desktop and games playing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"it seems likely an on-board tuner on the TV itself will become a thing of the past in the not too distant."

I've been using the "telly" as a display device for years. All it needs to be is a screen (till holography kicks in), I'll throw what ever content I want to it. Sky box, games console, PC, DLNA devices, what ever, but the traditional telly tuner will become extinct. Telly will be via the fibre/copper lines, not broadcast. Seems it's taking years for any manufacturer to release such products.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung T240M - check this.

Samsung T240M:

1920 x 1200 - check;

DVI - D - check;

HDMI - check;

VGA - Check;

Video Component - Check;

Remote Control - Check.;

Included Speakers (low wattage, but it has sound at least) - Check.

Onboard analog tuner for Aerial TV - check; - even when if you don't need it.

Under US$ 300, even imported to Brazil - hell check!

on the other hand:

Cheap TN panel with narrow view angle - and who need wide view angles on a PC or small Den? - check.

Now ask Samsung why they stopped making those, and the answer is: it cannibalized all the TV's they made to sell here at the time, because it had FULL HD at 24", and they were selling those here at 3x the price. I didn't want a large(r) screen, (I don't have a large room) but I wanted the resolution.

So... they have the means to do it, but they choose not to. Not anymore.

6. Christian Berger

Who thinks of those things?

Seriously, if I want a _wider_ screen, I'll simply put 2 or 3 screens next to each other. It's trivial to do this, and since the only serious use for it is having multiple windows next to each other, the gap won't matter.

What we need are higher screens. Stop making mailslots. Mailslots might be good for portable devices (see Nokia Communicator), but on the desktop you have enough horizontal space.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who thinks of those things?

Agreed. Time to buy a pair of 1920 x 1080 displays and put them side by side.

... after tipping each one on its side, that is.

1. Christian Berger

I have actually tried tipping them on their sides. It works, although the border in the middle is more distracting. However for unreleated reasons I had to switch graphics cards, and I don't know if that one supports tipping over the images.

One problem I've noticed that at least my screens have just a small vertical viewing angle. Usually that's not a problem, but tipping them over gives you a small horizontal viewing angle.

Maybe one day I can afford a huge room with a back projection screen driven by a large bank of high resolution projectors each one perfectly aligned so they form one giant and high resolution picture.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

All graphics cards in the last few years support rotation, it's even offered by the OS directly these days.

Windows 7 calls this Portrait. It's about the only way Office 20xx becomes usable.

1. Christian Berger

Well the driver configuration tool of my obscure cards (made by nVidia or something like that) doesn't have a function for it.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
              Happy

Not really the right forum for this, but anyway:

In Windows 7, right-click the Desktop and choose "Screen Resolution". One of the options there is Orientation.

(I think this was a driver-specific option in Windows XP, though I did think every nVidia in the last ten years offered it.)

7. samlebon23
    Linux

I'll wait for a 10600 x 1080 monitor, I watch a lot of snake movies.

When the Olympics come, I'd be able to see the whole 100m track. That way , I would see Usain Bolt in finish line and in the same time an American loser who tripped and broke his ankle and blaming the shoes for his misfortune.

And also, I want this monitor to be touch with rounded corners(SCREW APPLE).

1. Christian Berger

Actually

There is an old German comedy sketch (I know that alone would be news) exactly predicting that. I think it's called "Superskop" by Loriot.

8. JaitcH
    Happy

A new "I want" toy ...

for The City and Wall Street traders.

Imagine four of these stacked 2x2 on your desk!

9. James 47

I picked up a £330 (inc postage) 27* 2560x1440 DGM monitor from overclockers.co.uk. It's the biz, I don't know how many nits it has but the value for money is something else.

1. James 47

here it is

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-003-DG

2. Random Handle

Very good value when you consider Apple are charging £899 for that exact panel.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like