back to article Amazon: Time for a new Kindle Fire, this one's sold out

Amazon says the Kindle Fire has completely sold out and production has ceased, paving the way for a successor to be launched at the company's event next week. While a 2nd-gen model has yet to be officially confirmed by Amazon, the fact the Kindle Fire did so well commercially - grabbing 22 per cent of US tablet sales in nine …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Unhappy

So the UK never got a look in ?

Bit of a rum do, eh ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So the UK never got a look in ?

I'm no longer interested in purchasing one.

Even if Amazon's next tablet ends up being sold in the UK their actions with the original has meant they have permanently lost me as a customer.

1. Anonymous Hero
        Happy

I for one am happy to wait for them to iron out the kinks and bugs on the yanks before releasing it here, so maybe no bad thing after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Amazon have had nearly a year to use the collonists as guinea pig. Rather than release the 'proper version' to us Limeys, the instead have let it sell out. Given the challenge from Google however this was probably wise. I'm with Anonymous Coward, Amazon have made it clear what they think of the UK market. Even if 2.0 is released I wouldn't trust them.

2. Tapeador

"Anyone else fancy a Kindle Fire 2?"

I'm reminded of the John Rentoul blog "questions to which the answer is no".

3. Ashley Stevens

Software update?

Can we have a software update for the Kindle Fire 1 please? It's been ages since the last one and nothing has fundamentally changed. The hardware is OK save for the stupid location of the on-off button, but the software is sadly lacking

1. fishman

Re: Software update?

And that's why you buy a Nexus......

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Anyone fancy a Kindle Fire 2?

No thanks, I've got a Nexus 7 with the Kindle app installed.

Had the original Fire been released over here I'd probably have bought one, but it wasn't so I couldn't.

Amazon's loss is Google's gain.

1. Martin
      Thumb Up

Re: Anyone fancy a Kindle Fire 2?

Hear hear.

What on earth is there to downvote about that post? (Unless you bought a Kindle Fire from the US just before the Nexus 7 came out...?)

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    FAIL

Memo to Amazon UK

Until you release the bloody things over you will get a big FAIL on this and many other forums.. Even B&N has decided to release the nook in this part of the world..

22% of the US market is still 0% of a much larger one, Europe.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Facepalm

Re: Memo to Amazon UK

Don't get out much? Europe is #3 in market size, behind US and China.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The population of the EU is approximately 503 million compared to the USA's 314 million.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, but if those 503 million are poor, who cares ?

Actually, many years ago, I was watching a PBS business show in the US, and it was amusing that more far sighted leaders had picked up the EU as a single market outweighed the US market, but no major business players had planned for it.

Remember, the UK is the US portal to Europe.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

> Remember, the UK Ireland is the US portal to Europe.

There, fixed it for you.

2. Captain Save-a-ho
          Facepalm

The population of the EU is approximately 503 million compared to the USA's 314 million.

Tablet market size != Population size

I swear, you people really cannot see beyond the end of your crooked noses, can you?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Don't forget the Yanks class Afghanistan and Iraq as theirs now (and if the Republicans get on add Iran to that), and still cling on desperately to the hope of Cuba being theirs one day..

2. Ramazan

Re: much larger market, Europe

There's no such thing as european market (there are always Greeces, Icelands and Spains there)

6. Jason Hindle

Meh - I got bored waiting

And now I'm carrying Google's cash register round with me instead, in the form of a Nexus 7. I'm sure the Kindle 2 will be at least as good, at least in terms of its hardware.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sorry, too late ...

I was very interested in a Kindle Fire not so long ago.

I waited for it's release in the UK, toyed with the idea of getting someone to grab me one in the US and promptly forgot all about the device.

Then Google came along and offered their device for sale immediately in the UK. Not only that, but the price and specs were leaps ahead of the kindle fire.

The stance by Amazon not to release outside of the US has pretty much made me decide to never bother with any of their devices again.

Well done Amazon - you just let Google get the jump on you. FAIL.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Sorry, too late ...

The Fire2 clearly won't be the same spec as the Fire1 though, so could in turn trump on Google.

If they only had a limited number of units, they might as well test them in a single market first. A few nerds saying "not interested any more" doesn't change the fact that in 1-2 years everyone with a tablet now will be buying a newer model.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sorry, too late ...

> A few nerds saying "not interested any more" doesn't change the fact that in 1-2 years everyone with a tablet now will be buying a newer model.

Those "nerds" have a disproportionate influence on the tablet buying habits of the rest of the population.

I am one of those "nerds" who will not be buying a kindle fire and a large number of family and friends will ask me for advice before buying a tablet. Needless to say I will recommend that they avoid the kindle fire. Not just because they failed to release the original one here, but because that act demonstrates that Amazon simply do care about the UK/European marketplace.

8. Big_Ted
    FAIL

Until we get the same deal as the US it won't sale well here, we need the same movie and music services for the same price, not a restricted tablet locked to a non standard OS tablet.

9. Tankboy
    Happy

Identity crisis

The Fire is good for what it's supposed to be: an E-Reader. Works great for that. A tablet, the Fire is not, although it really want's to be. Amazon would do well to have the next generation figure out what it want's to be when it grows up.

10. Steve Mann

Bah!

Not a tablet? By what yardstick?

Actually I'm not arguing that it ain't an iPad, but as far as what people actually use 7" tablets for, I gotta disagree. I use mine as a reader mostly, but I've watched TV on it and surfed Da Webs (though it isn't how I'd do it by choice, nether is a smart phone which I see put to the purpose by others every day). It plays games and I can take notes on it if I absolutely must.

The only change I'd like to see apart from a systemic one on the DRM front (like that will ever happen) is I'd really like an electronic dictionary interface arranged so that the dictionary can be searched properly like a dictionary and not like a bunch of document pages. How f-tarded it it that searching the Kindle default dictionary for "Zebra" takes forever as every mention of "zebra" is found *before* the actual dictionary definition? All the dictionaries I've tried for the fire are functionally useless outside of the (nifty) in-book lookup because of this oversight. The reader should understand that a dictionary is fundamentally different from just another book.

pantpantpant. Rant over. What was the question?

11. Chris 171

I'd prefer the Amazon till over apples.

But then, I bought a Sony Tablet anyway so I'm just weird.

I said when the Fire was announced that Amazon could be disruptive with it. I wonder which patents apple will try to sue under? These next ones from Amazon could really upset the idiot money applecart if they're half tidy.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "Fire 1 wasn't realised here so wah wah waaaah"

Amazon are probably dead worried that so many of you aren't going to buy a Fire 'cos it's not on sale in the UK yet - especially since the Kindle wasn't sold in the UK until v2, and look how badly that went for them. Yup, Amazon have made a big ol' boo-boo there and no mistake.

13. inopsology
    Unhappy

MPAA blocked it most likely

I believe that the main use of the Fire in the US is access to all of amazon's movies 'free' with Prime. But movies are blocked by studios outside USA.

14. Jan Hargreaves
    Mushroom

Your most successful product launch to date.... was selling a product for less than it cost you to make it... well fancy that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You weren't paying attention, were you?

They made a profit on each one. Very small, granted, but profit nevertheless. And this is exactly what Amazon knows best - razor thin margin, massive volume.

15. chrishansenhome
    Meh

I got a Fire last April when I was in the US (thanks for the gift, brother!) I use it here as an e-reader, but not as a tablet. I am waiting to see if when Amazon finally release Fires here in the UK I'll be able to register it here and make it "legal". The interface is geeky and no intuitive, though. Battery life isn't much, either. So qualified "Pass" with the qualification removed when they start selling it here and I can legitimise it.

16. Anne Hunny Mouse

Not just the Fire but Kindle Touch 3G

The Kindle Touch 3G is currently showing as unavailable and they don't know when it will be back in stock on the Amazon UK site . http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Touch-Screen-Display-Globally/dp/B005890FOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1346401683&sr=1-1

Maybe it's getting an update but it's a relatively recent model.

17. Ironclad
    Meh

Too late

I also got tired of waiting and bought a Nexus 7.

Think Amazon have missed a trick. By the time they launch the Fire 2 here a large chunk of the market will already have a rival tablet, either Apple or Android.

18. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    FAIL

What? Ya mean there are people outside the USA?

Why weren't we told? Ahhh don't remember seeing any meemos or emails about that?

How can y'all expect us to sell to people if y'all don't tell us that they are there.

Amazon.co.uk??? What in all tarnation is that all about?

UK, aint that them folks we helped finish kickin' the Germans asses some time back?

Me? Nah, ahhh ain't hardly been outside of Texas, let alone the USA.

19. Steve 16
    Go

Appstore

Amazon have just launched their Android Appstore in the UK which may well be a precursor to the launch of the Fire 2 over here too!?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like