back to article If you can't take the Samsung, get out of the kitchen

Samsung’s IFA keynote was true to form, some might say. Although the company had "a different script" with its presentation style, it did seem to have copied been influenced by the recent UK Olympic opening ceremony, given its theatricalities. Samsung's head honcho and chief wizard of the day, Boo-Keun Yoon, consumer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ohhhh 75" OLED, sounds nice! my wife was complaining that the 55" is too small last night...

Now as soon as it drops to around £2K I'll consider it

2. K
    Trollface

Got me one of them...

Big samsung fridge freezers.. now how do I upgrade that firmware!

3. Anonymous Coward 101
    Happy

Can't wait for the Samsung toilet brush to make scraping shit from the back of my bog an 'inspirational experience'.

4. andreas koch
    Unhappy

Samsung kitchen appliances

All very fine, and no doubt very useful.

<fiction>

But:

Have they got iPad docks on the fridges? What? No? Then you can't possibly want that.

Lets face it, Samsung (and everyone else, really) has had it. Every thing nowadays has to have at least Apple compatibility, if its not Apple itself.

The whole technology sector will become an accessory supplier for Apple. You buy an iPad, and then the accessories follow: iPad compatible washing machine complete with app that sets the washing cycle according to a picture of your dirty washing (which you snapped with your iPhone). Apple compatible oven: "Siri, check my weight (on the iPhone compatible bathroom scales) and make up a menu for me tonight and set the oven accordingly."

Docking station on the kettle that downloads how many skinny soy-milk lattes I've had today (gathered from the pay-by-iPhone app) and refuses to boil water for another cuppa if I don't shoot a video of using decaf, because the doctor's iTunes advisory told me to cut the caffeine.

</fiction>

This paints a bleak* picture, but so did Orwell's "1984", and we have got more cctv around now than even Big Brother could watch.

I've heard people referring to a 3.5mm headphone jack as an "iPod plug". . . phew, come on.

Even though I don't think it will happen, there is a certain dynamic towards it; the more devices go compatible, the more Apple stuff will be bought, and the more pressure will be on other manufacturers to join. I just hope it's not going to be as bad as my dystopian nightmare.

At the moment I feel a bit like my mum and dad must have felt during the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. The end of the world as we know it might be near, and it can go either way - - -

*Or, for Apple fans, an wonderfully carefree iLife.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Samsung kitchen appliances

You need a hobby, or to get out more.

1. andreas koch
        Thumb Up

@ JDX - Re: Samsung kitchen appliances

This is my hobby. Painting the future in dull colours.

Upvote to you for spotting me as a padless loser, though.

I guess I'm just bitter because i havent got an iPad.

5. nozzo

Very nice picture...

don't think much of the bloke or the telly though

6. h4rm0ny

I have owned a number of pieces of very good hardware from Samsung. But their presentations have always been hysterically bad. Their reveal of the Ativ line yesterday featured the classic line: "Now, we've heard a lot of shit about sharing tonight..."

Oh, and -1 point for advertising your products by having a woman in a tight dress next to them. Could the sex not be represented by a woman engineer who works there, or does Samsung not have any?

1. Shagbag
      Thumb Down

Make that -10

She was near flat-chested.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Make that -10

"She was near flat-chested."

You have bigger tits, presumably?

7. Christian Berger

Strange

Strange, considering the most interresting innovation in the kitchen was done by a Chinese company which actually made a solid state microwave. A microwave oven without a magnetron or other vacuum tube.

8. Anonymous Coward 15

Kitchen products?

Will it make me a goddamn sammich?

This topic is closed for new posts.