back to article 'iPhone 5' released by Chinese Apple copycat

Fanbois in China who just can’t wait to get their hands on the much-hyped upcoming iPhone 5 are in for a treat, as an Android-based version of the device modelled on the imminent handset's rumoured specs has made its way online. Yes, hot-on-the-heels of a Japanese fanboi's efforts, China's Goophone is hoping to steal a march …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Look and 'Feel' alike?

Does it have a GUI skin that gives it an iPhone 'look and feel' too? If not, some enterprising Android App developer could find a market for such a skin.

1. bazza Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Look and 'Feel' alike?

Hang on, hasn't the US courts already decided that they're identical in every conceivable way? That would mean there's no market for such a skin...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Two tone back?

Is this the liquid metal we have been hearing about?

As to the front, more than likely the screen will be slightly longer and wider but the overall phone size will be the same.

But does it need a quad core processor? At the expense of having to add more battery?

No one knows, and until on is left in a bar (which is part of the marketing scheme) or it is released everything we hear and see is just speculation.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As with all

Apple phone releases, it will be the iPhone 5s which when released next year will be the more polished phone.

The 's' version tends to be the one that irons out any design faults of the new models.

1. Annihilator
        Facepalm

Re: As with all

"The 's' version tends to be the one that irons out any design faults of the new models."

Which design "faults" did the 3GS resolve then?...

1. Steve Beesley
          Mushroom

"Which design "faults" did the 3GS resolve then?..."

As a 3GS user I couldn't agree more, mine fails to make and receive phone calls, text messages and emails on a regular basis, requires rebooting on average once every couple of days, phone turns off when trying to take a photo (which helps reduce the number of reboots required!)... oh and as software developer I resent not being able to write my own software to run on it (it's a work phone so I can't jailbreak it and I'm not prepared to pay Apples extortionate costs). I regulary resort to my 5 year old WinMo phone instead!

For the record I'm running iOS 5.1.1 (the latest available) although I wish I hadn't upgraded to iOS 5 as it wiped all of my music and TV programs and it's a PITA to put them all back (so much so that the phone remains largely empty over a year after I "upgraded").

Wish I could afford to replace it with something good :-(

1. Hans 1

Your phone seems to have a hardware fault - rebooting when attempting to use the camera sounds like an old samsung I had that did the same.

I totally agree on this, though: "For the record I'm running iOS 5.1.1 (the latest available) although I wish I hadn't upgraded to iOS 5 as it wiped all of my music and TV programs and it's a PITA to put them all back (so much so that the phone remains largely empty over a year after I "upgraded")."

So ffffing true!

1. Gerhard den Hollander
              Coat

> our phone seems to have a hardware fault - rebooting when attempting to use the camera sounds

> like an old samsung I had that did the same.

Maybe Samsung should start suing Apple over this then ... clearly it's a samsung design and original idea, shamelessly stolen by Apple ...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

A phone you claim is a work phone, but you wish you could afford to replace it?

Just ask your boss?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>it will be the iPhone 5s which when released next year

The iPhone 6 will be out early in 2014...why not wait for that?

.....rumours are it will be fully wireless [power and all] move to an efficient TI-OMAP 4+1 for CPU, ditching PVR in favour of Nvidia - also will include UK/EU 4G support and much improved battery life thanks to its larger form factor over 5 and the low power 'house keeping' CPU core.

...then again, your logic is also correct - so maybe I'll wait for the iPhone 6s....

1. Bod

"The iPhone 6 will be out early in 2014...why not wait for that?"

Not typical behaviour of an iDevice owner though.

Buy now because it's new and shiny and you've been told to buy it, and buy the one that follows it a year or two later for the same reasons. Doesn't matter that they're all almost the same and you don't actually need a new one. The old one is obsolete by being unfashionable and you *need* the new one.

1. JDX Gold badge

@Bod

Don't pretend Android users are ANY different.

4. LarsG
      Meh

A Fake?

Its marketing Jim but not as we know it.

Regular little 'snippets' released every couple of weeks keeps the speculation going and the interest alive.

This is all about Apple marketing 101, the next release a couple of weeks from now will be another 'leaked copy) until finally two to three weeks before the official announcement someone will accidentally leave a real one in a bar somewhere.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What's not to like. 1/4 of the price, no lock in, more free apps.

Nobody need know it's not an Iphone.

6. DeepS

There already is a "look and feel" alike. It's called Espier Launcher and it's available from the Google Play store although I'm unsure why Apple hasn't shut them down yet.

2. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Happy

This should be interesting

...buys more popcorn, settles into chair, waits for show to begin.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This should be interesting

it wont be, goophone will only sell in China and surrounding areas with the odd one being palmed off to the west via ebay and dodgy websites (one up from the box of potatos)

2. Anonymous Coward 15
      Devil

Re: This should be interesting

I do hope you smuggled that popcorn in under a false bottom in your bag instead of paying the cinema's extortionate prices.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung

It's only considered a copy if Samsung does it.

1. LaeMing
      Joke

Re: Samsung

Actually, I heard Goophone is going to sue Samsung for infringing their look-and-feel.

2. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: Samsung

"It's only considered a copy if it's better than an iPhone."

There. Fixed it for you.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. nuked
    Facepalm

Well..

A bad copy is a copy nevertheless and is illegal.

A collection of good copies is an Apple, and above the law.

A better copy of a collection of good copies is Samsung, who have to give all their money to Apple and Lawyers.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Well..

This is released before Shiny No 5. If it's look-n-feel is identical to Shiny No 5 it will get interesting. It is released _BEFORE_ it so these guys can pretend that it was Apple who copied it... Where is the popcorn...

1. Avatar of They
        Thumb Up

That would be funny. Goophone have every right to take Apple and the iphone 5 to court for infringement as they came out first and no apple official photos exist. And in China (Home of anything from China wins automatically - just ask BMW)

2. Mark .

I assume it'll be just like almost every other feature and product, where the media and fans will claim Apple were first, even when they weren't.

2. bazza Silver badge

@Nuked

By definition you can't 'copy' something that does not exist. Apple have released no images, details or anything whatsoever about any putative iPhone 5, so there is absolutely nothing to copy. For Apple to successfully uphold a complaint they would have to prove industrial espionage had occurred, and that's going to be veeeeery difficult. Otherwise it's just hard luck.

Indeed Apple themselves would more likely to be on the receiving end of a successful legal complaint from Goophone, especially in China!

There is some precedent for a situation like Apple's being un-resolvable in Europe too. Rover (the now extinct British car manufacturer) completely by chance chose a style of radiator grill design that was uncannily similar to that which Audi had also chosen. Rover got to market first. Audi did actually make some very quiet public complaints, but there was nothing they could do. Rover theoretically could have made a formal complaint against Audi, but did the sensible thing and made nothing of it themselves. Commonsense prevailed (and Rover went bust anyway).

1. Bod

Re: @Nuked

"By definition you can't 'copy' something that does not exist"

That's not how Apple sees it. If someone designs something before you did, you release your product with a back dated patent on it, then you sue the ass off the people who "copied" from something that didn't exist at the time (or even where there was no patent on it at the time).

2. Patrick R
        Holmes

Re: you can't 'copy' something that does not exist

Except here the non existing object (the 5) is actually a copy of an existing object; the... 4S.

What if Apple names it "4S-II" instead of 5 ?

3. 1Rafayal

Apple fanboi quote of the century perhaps?

"...A collection of good copies is an Apple, and above the law...."

Its the ironic inclusion of the "above the law" bit that made me laugh quite a lot.

6. Khaptain Silver badge

China, lol

China are now one step ahead of the rest of the world, they can even bring out fakes before the

originals are released.

Apple must be amused........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: China, lol

That has been nominally true for a very long time.

1: If you place your manufacturing in China, you cede your IP, trade secrets, production techniques and everything else to the Chinese for free. If you build a factory, an exact copy of it will magically appear somewhere else in the country, including the design errors of the original factory. I haven't heard of it, but in theory the copy factory could appear first.

2: Therefore, the cost savings by manufacturing in China have to be sufficiently large that they cover the loss of the entire business.

3: Go to 1

There are examples of copy products from China hitting the shelves before the originals

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple have lost their way

There are too many photos and videos being leaked showing this iPhone with the 2 tone back so it must be the real deal as loads of people in the Chinese distribution chain are turning up with the casing

That 2 tone back is suicide in my eyes it looks absolutely shocking ironically like another company trying to rip apple off. There can't be anyone out there who thinks the 2 tone back looks good regardless of what technical merits it may give the device.

If they release it with this it will be the start of Apple losing its style status

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple have lost their way

Lol sure sure.

Larry Crapbeans? Is that the Samsunged copy of Barry Shitpeas?

1. Arctic fox
        Trollface

RE "Larry Crapbeans? Is that the Samsunged copy of Barry Shitpeas?"

No, it's his even more evil twin.

8. K
    Facepalm

LMFAO...

They guys should be in the comic hall of fame, they've even ripped off the Galaxy S3 :D

http://www.goophone.hk/shop/product-27.html

1. Soruk
      WTF?

Re: LMFAO...

I spotted that one too - and beside it... who the fsck would name a phone after.... the AK47 ?!

http://www.goophone.hk/shop/product-22.html

I wonder how, um, accurate a copy that one is!?

9. Adrian 4
    Meh

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Why not copy ? The rest of the design world does, and likes it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakley_lessons_from_fashion_s_free_culture.html

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Yes, indeed ! And, besides, as Steve Jobs admitted in that famous video, Apple has «always» stolen and copied. Perhaps if those who make the rules listened a bit more to people like Johanna Blakely, instead of «competition by lawyer» we'd get back to competition on price and quality even when it comes to technical apparatus. Make it illegal for Goophone to put an iPhone label on its products without permission from Apple and for Apple to put a Goophone label on its products without permission and then leave the choice between the two to consumers ! Alas, as those who make the rules - in the US at least - are almost exclusively lawyers, these rules are devised in such a way as to promote the well-being of lawyers, rather than innovation or other consumer interests. Moreover, to take the specific example discussed in the article, if Goophone releases a actual product with a «two-tone back design» before Apple does, by the logic that Apple's lawyers developed in their Samsung suit, isn't Apple imitating Goophone and therefore «infriging» on the latter's rights when it releases later a product with this «feature» ?...

Henri

10. Richard 116
    Thumb Up

Finally!

Where do I queue?

11. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

Behold.. Ye Goophone!

This is what you get (i.e. Goo-phone) when you call those pay-by-the-minute numbers. As in "Look, there's goo all over my phone".

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Version?

"The phone runs Android but it's not clear exactly which version."

Umm... Honeycomb, judging by the photo just under that comment...

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Black Helicopters

Re: Version?

Exactly what I was thinking, but since they've "cloned" the look and feel of the phone, perhaps they've "cloned" the look and feel of the OS underneath as well...

2. A J Stiles

Re: Version?

Honeycomb was for tablets only, and IIRC the full Source Code was never released.

So it'd be impressive to get that running on a phone .....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward 15
    Gimp

Not to worry, they've ripped off Samsung as well

http://www.goophone.hk/shop/product-27.html

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want to buy one of these purely for the lulz.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why, I'd rather buy the real thing (not)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIRBxRlsYR0

16. gaz 7

of course it's a copy

It's a rectangle with rounded corners - what else but an apple could it possibly be?

I would love 'em to sue the arse of Apple if the iphone5 does look like that (and win of course).

I wouldnt want one as I would not want anyone thinking I was an Apple sort of guy...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

"Fanbois in China who just can’t wait to get their hands on the much-hyped upcoming iPhone 5"

That's about 10 sales guaranteed then!

18. Chika
    Trollface

Nothing new. See this offering from last November.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSO1KWLGd50

19. CmdrX3

Not just Apple

Looking at the site, it looks like they rip off pretty much everyone's designs. at a brief glance through I spotted an Apple copy, a Samsung S3 copy, an HTC copy and a few others. Why anyone buys any of this shite for not far off the price of the original gear I'll never know.

1. mhenriday
      Holmes

Re: Not just Apple

And if the «copy» is as well or better executed than the «orginal» ? And if, in the case of the Apple iPhone5, the «copy» offers an operating system which a given user prefers to that offered by the so-called «original» (which hasn't yet appeared on the market, so which is to be considered the «copy» and which the «original» is a moot point) ? I'd very much like to see some detailed tests of these Goophone «knockoffs» which compare them to the «originals» ; perhaps we're missing something ? How about it, El Reg ?...

Henri

20. IGnatius T Foobar

Thanks, but I'll buy a Samsung

Why would anyone want either a genuine iShiny *or* a clone of one? Samsung phones with Android operating system are an overall better product anyway. Apple and its clones are irrelevant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like