back to article Love vSphere? You're going to have to love Flash too

If you're considering building your cloud infrastructure on the latest version of vSphere, you probably weren't banking on Adobe Flash being part of your set-up. VMware has announced vSphere 5.1 and along with it an updated web based management client. Features new to vSphere 5.1 will only be available in the new web client, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurrah; perhaps now I can use my Mac for some work.

2. Volker Hett
    Thumb Down

Not writing off mobile devices can't be the reason for flash

last I looked Adobe doesn't support mobile devices anymore.

1. albaleo

Re: Not writing off mobile devices can't be the reason for flash

"Adobe doesn't support mobile devices anymore"

But it's possible to compile a Flex application as an AIR application as well as a browser-based Flash app. I think Adobe is still pushing AIR for mobile.

3. ElNumbre
    Thumb Up

Huzzah!

Although I only manage a very small farm of servers, I've come to loath the vSphere client - bulky, resource intensive, and not all that inuitive, I'm interested to see the new interface.

Yes, Flash is a BBoW, but its already installed on my management machines, and having to install one less local application makes me feel better about the world.

However, I wonder if it can replace the app that's on my tablet that manages the estate through a touch interface from whereever I am (provided there's an internet).

4. J.T

A lot of companies are moving to flash from java for their management interfaces. At a minimum it's just plain faster to render your management app and at a maximum you don't have to worry about when Oracle is going to show up demanding you pay for an enterprise license for a open source product they put out for free.

1. Victor 2
      Trollface

you forgot your troll face

5. GitMeMyShootinIrons

vSphere Web Client...

This first reared it's head with vCenter 5.0 (needed Flash there as well). It works reasonably well, but why oh why did they have to go down the Flash route in this day and age?

Still, it could be the dogs dinner that is SCVMM.

6. jpvlsmv

Goodbye mouse button

Most of the civilized IT world are used to having more than one mouse button. When you right-click on a Flash "application" you get the lovely useless Zoom In/Zoom Out/Print plugin menu. Unlike in the annoying C# client where you get a context menu that actually can perform useful tasks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Goodbye mouse button

Flash has customizable right-click functionality.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Goodbye mouse button

My experience with the client in question says that right clicking on nearly every element in the UI works just fine.

7. david 12 Silver badge

This is an issue

I don't have flash installed on work machines.

If I was a full-time administrator, this wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not I've got a tiny virtual workplace, it is a tiny part of my job, and this is a reason not to trial the new version.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle just dumped their Flash-based support site and VMWare copies the idea?

Oracle tried to build Oracle Support in Flash, it lead to an unusable application - they rewritten in in HTML. Now VMWare copies that very idea? It is true Java has deploy issues, but you can deploy a local JRE if you need to use a given one, IIRC. IMHO most problems with Java are due to poor developers skill.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like