back to article Radio arse tags solve modern-day TV musical chairs dilemma

Little electronic tags that broadcast data over the air turn up in the strangest of places. Now they've managed to end up sewn into the back of contestants' shorts in a TV version of childhood favourite, musical chairs. The programme is called Oh Sit! and made by US broadcaster CBS. It adds live music and an obstacle course to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Just checking.

Do we actually have an example yet of a problem solved using RFID tags that wasn't dreamed up for that purpose?

2. bill 36
    Flame

Kids competing for money?

No wonder they need arse tags.

The parents would sue if little Chuck was pushed off his chair and the umpires got it wrong.

What a fucking sad world.

1. Haku

Re: Kids competing for money?

Er, no. They're full-grown adults, but they do behave like children when they're playing the game, especially as pushing is allowed in certain cirumstances to beat the opponents to the chairs.

It's a bit like Wipeout - you've seen one show you've seen them all, really there are only minor differences between one show and the others; different contestants (though that's not saying much, they all behave the same in the end) and slightly different obstacles for the contestants to climb over/under/round.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

It's not kids

as reflecting upon the title may suggest.

It looks more like the movie [Rollerball], which depicts a future spectator sport that is like ice hockey but with violence.

[Oh Sit!] probably has less violence. Than [Rollerball], anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Like ice hockey... but with violence?

Well I never.

3. Richard Ball

These people really ought to go and find useful things to do with their lives, instead of broadcasting morons playing musical chairs.

How about pin the tail on the donkey?

Or pass the parcel?

Or piggy in the middle?

1. Scott Pedigo

You forgot duck-duck-goose.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

*These* people *are* doing something useful with their lives.

The useless people are the ones that watch the show and thereby bring in the advertising money.

3. Haku

I'd like to see Full Contact Hide & Seek.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

> I'd like to see Full Contact Hide & Seek.

Isn't that called "sardines"? OK, it was a long time ago...

4. Graham Marsden
    WTF?

Ah...

... more highbrow TV!

5. Christoph
    Joke

O dear

"The programme is called Oh Sit!"

I do hope they are careful how they pronounce that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: O dear

Why the "joke alert" icon, is that not the entire point of the name?

2. Anonymous Coward 15
      Thumb Up

Re: O dear

I'm shorry, I have a bit of a shpeech impediment.

6. BoldMan

They should have Sean Connery as the host...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"A slip-ring antenna? I slipped something inside your mother's ring last night, Trebek."

7. Christian Berger

I feel reminded of "Wipeout" and "Don't Scare the Hare"

And unfortunately I'm sure that show will come to Germany, where it'll be produced by utter idiots. Contestants will be type C and D celebrities and it'll be terrible. But since commercial stations have virtually no competition (public TV is mostly censored on cable, for example) it'll be "successful".

Anyhow, wasn't one of the ideas behind RFID to track every-a*se's movements?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like