back to article AMD to double up cores with Jaguars

For those of us hoping that Advanced Micro Devices would get into the low-powered server racket with some earnestness, it looks like the forthcoming processors based on the "Jaguar" cores will fit the bill quite nicely. The Jaguars are the kickers to the current "Bobcat" family of x86 processors used in ceepie-geepie hybrids …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Azzy

Damnit, the naming theme is cats?

I thought they picked Bobcat to contrast with their Bulldozer line (I don't know if this brand is common in the UK, but in the US, "Bobcat" is a brand of golf-cart sized mini-bulldozers, and it's common to refer to any mini-bulldozer like that as a bobcat).

What a bummer. Though I guess there wasn't a ready name for something that's like a piledriver only smaller anyway...

1. leexgx

Re: Damnit, the naming theme is cats?

bobcat (seem to be slower then intel atom) CPUs annoy the Hell out of me, the CPU is slower then systems that are 4-7 years older (slower then celeron in some cases, like Mouse lock ups due to the cpu getting stuck for about 1-2 seconds) and this is talking about an Dual core bobcat

only thing thats good about them is the GPU

AMD need to do what intel have done Not allow an netbook CPU/APU in an full size notebook/laptop

the Daft thing is for around the same price (£320-£380) you can get an i3 or an intel dual core sandy bridge or an bulldozer AMD laptop that are about 3-7x faster(intel) 2-3x if its bulldozer)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

damn

floor plan looks rough

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: damn

Simulated annealing presumably. Funny how the FP unit is still evidently hand placed (roughly square) though. Done by an entirely different team perhaps?

3. petur
    Meh

Apple lawsuit in 3...2...1

They probably patented all those names

1. dogged
      Meh

Re: Apple lawsuit in 3...2...1

Depends on whether the AMD guys can pronounce "Jaguar".

1. h4rm0ny
        Paris Hilton

Re: Apple lawsuit in 3...2...1

"Depends on whether the AMD guys can pronounce "Jaguar"."

???

1. TribalTalker

Re: pronouncing "Jaguar"

I once worked with a US American who collected Jaguar sports cars. He was astonished that I had never heard of Jaguar, as I'm British. It took me half a day to decode his pronunciation.

UK: Like "Jag you are"

US: Like "Jag waah"

Then he started talking about "stick-shift", "hoods", "trunks". I learned a lot of Americanese that day. And some Hispanic swear words... Happy days.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: pronouncing "Jaguar"

It's alleged that the original reason Steve Jobs personally banned all contact between Apple and The Reg is because, way back in the day, we poked fun at his pronunciation of "Jagwire".

C.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"That's 512MB of L2 cache per core, the same as in the Bobcats."

That is some serious cache, but surely the author meant 512KB of L2 cache per core especially since the cache banks have a total of 2MB of L2 cache. 512MB of L2 cache would be very expensive and take a huge amount of real estate.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like