back to article Samsung chucks 'free' Galaxy S III at dragon sketcher

A Canadian who adorned his request for a free phone with a sketch of a dragon, and received a kangaroo in response, has now been rewarded with a custom S III as Samsung spots some good PR. The posting on Samsung Canada's Facebook Wall asked for a free handset and offered the sketch as payment. Samsung Canada wittily responded …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

http://loonyletters.com/ms-sandwiches/

Ouch. Just how many security warnings can be generated from a single page?

1. Olafthemighty
      Black Helicopters

@Nick

Almost all of them, apparently. Scary page.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I tried it with a co*ck and b*lls picture but they said they couldn't customise the phone as it was too big to fit.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Should try again using your own

3. SirDigalot

aye..

my security server and software just defacated clay based rectangular building blocks

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

None?

Ghostery: Blocked 6 of 6

+ Noscript and Requestpolicy

ahhh

2. FartingHippo
    Thumb Up

Bravo Samsung

And grounds for overturning the Apple patent verdict if ever I saw one.

(IANAL)

3. CASIOMS-8V

I want one. it's the RAWR and fire breathing from the dragon which has sold it to me. Is there a gelskin with this design yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

You can make custom Gelaskins.

Just copy the photo from the guy's Facebook stream, it's the Samsung way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

htc

its never worked for me when asking htc for freebies.

spoil-sports.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Viral Marketing, Anyone?

See above.

6. James Hughes 1

I thought Apple had patented green dragons?

NT

1. LaeMing
      Joke

Re: I thought Apple had patented green dragons?

Yes they have. They saw the KDE mascot and just had to patent it for themselves.

7. sproot
    Pint

Samsung Canada are probably wetting themselves at the thought of all the kit they'll be supplying across the border when the Apple ban hammer comes down, guess this was just to let the yanks know they exist.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desperate for publicity.

9. Jeebus

Don't Apple own the patents on dinosaurs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, you're thinking of IBM.

1. Jeebus

Touche sir, touche indeed.

2. pepper
        Joke

Where does HP fit in? Like one of those ancient but still alive fishes?

10. El Presidente
    Windows

Pitching whimsy as the next big thing

Forget it.

Apple have just patented the following: "A system of interacting with humorous individuals requesting free products in exchange for badly drawn wildlife" USPTO No. 6876464647687687867364646464

1. Homer 1
      Mushroom

Re: Pitching whimsy as the next big thing

Let's hope Cook is more responsive than Steve "Our goals do not include helping you get a good grade" Jobs.

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Possible prior... art

November 2008: "Below is the complete email conversation that Adelaide man David Thorne claims he had with a utility company chasing payment of an overdue bill." As seen on [Have I Got News for You] (BBC).

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=665847

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Possible prior... art

Thorne fans may be interested to know that he has a book out:

The Internet Playground

I haven't purchased it yet myself - looked like a good item for the gift list - but I imagine it's mostly stuff reprinted from his site. Still, ought to be good for a few laughs.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. FunkyEric

Re: Pathetic

Meeeeeeow!

2. Irongut

Re: Pathetic

Tim Cook is that you?

12. Smudged

I drew a kangaroo on a unicycle ages ago. Can Samsung please send me $1 Billion :)

13. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

My own little tale

I once managed to blag a free mousemat from http://www.raith.com/ because I claimed they had taken my name in vain, and demanded a mousemat as payment for my hurt feelings and inability to claim my domain.

I felt the response I got from a senior manager who I shall leave nameless to protect his professionalism, was excellent:

"Dear Mr Raith

Thank you for your email.

This provides the written proof that you have been using the name Raith for nearly 30 years, without permission.

Raith has taken legal advice concerning this matter and has concluded that your continued use of the name Raith is damaging to our corporate profile and has detrimental and on-going effects to both our good name, and corporate brand.

Please stop using the name Raith immediately, it is legally protected under EU copyright law, and you have not been authorised or licensed by Raith for its use.

Failure to comply with the above request will result in immediate legal action from Raith GmbH, Raith Asia and Raith USA (all protected under copyright).

Just kidding – if you want a mouse mat we will need your address."

I was mighty impressed - and I swear I didn't make it up, either. And I have a mousemat to prove it.

In retailiation I threatened to sic the frickin lawyers with lasers on their head on behalf of my dad, who's been using the raith name for over 60 years....

Customer Service is not always as it seems.

Steven R

(yes, I realise I should have got some nanolithography gear off of them instead....)

14. Mikel

It's a happy story

And the dragon and kangaroo did get national press coverage and 500,000 views.

Reddit is tearing it up right now. President Obama did an open "Ask Me Anything" interview on there today.

15. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Samsung is growing on me. As a company, I find them less offensive than some...and increasingly I find myself buying their widgets. Then they go ahead and do something like this.

Well, I'll be.

MIght there be a consumer electronics company worth not actively despising after all?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Happy

If you do decide not to despise them, they are far easier to patronise than most of the others too. I don't have any of their phones, computers and such, but I do have a fridge and a washing machine with the Samsung badge on 'em.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Not despising corporations is hard for me. There is an innate distrust that I hold against people who are financially motivate to screw me over and take all my money.

That said, I have an SII, a Samsung Netbook and who only knows what else from them...

16. Morrie Wyatt
    Flame

Strong Bad would be totally unimpressed!

For proof, see http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

Trogdor! (The Burninator!)

(Flame icon? Obvious.)

17. jamesrhamilton

Small people?

Some large people work for organisations, too.

18. Andy Hards
    Thumb Up

I thought the Samsung Ad

taking the piss out of iSheep was quite funny in a advertising and not too offensive way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mo5pEAHPek

19. Homer 1
    Thumb Up

I liked this so much, I bought the t-shirt

http://media.slated.org/albums/userpics/10002/fyiad.jpg

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like