back to article Microsoft gives Android punters some official SkyDrive love

Android now has an official SkyDrive client, bringing Microsoft's cloud storage to Google's handsets and dragging a little of Redmond's new GUI along with it. Screen shot The new application is free, and works well. It not only provides remote access to SkyDrive content but also appends itself to the Android Sharing list so …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheProf
    Happy

Good

Nothing to moan about here.

Oh? What?

2. Robert Grant

"surprisingly comfortable to use"

Because it's on Android, or because it's designed by MS?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Could be expected.

You can say about MS what you want, they do treat Android quite seriously. And this isn't the first time they did something like this; the OneNote app. for mobile is also available on Android.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: Could be expected.

Course they take Android seriously - the $5 per handset they extort is their only revenue from mobile.

4. Dcope
    Thumb Up

and for those with 25 GB ...

as long time hotmail user we get 25 gig of space tied with unlimited data plans makes this worth using for me, been waiting for this thanks!

5. Stuart Ball

OneNote

The OneNote App is rather good, if you already have Office installed at home, the Sync is seamless. Better than other note apps I have tried on Android. The cross-platform capability is really useful, as I can write stuff for the RPGs I run on a desktop, and use the tablet to run the sessions on.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The app benefits from Microsoft's new minimalist approach to GUI design"

Translation - fugly, fisher-price designed interface. At least on android they can't disable the 3d look on the login button and text fields, but everything else is flat, lifeless, and filled with dumb rectangles.

But at least I can access those 25GB I thought I would never use, maybe put them to use as a backup of my backup of my photos.

1. Ian Yates

Re: "The app benefits from Microsoft's new minimalist approach to GUI design"

It's an interesting point: interfaces are expected to be intuitive, with interactive elements being visually distinct from non-interactive ones. The time-honoured tradition of 3D elements has always helped emphasise the "you can press this bit" paradigm and making everything flat and samey raises a whole slew of possible usability problems.

7. Philip Bune
    Trollface

Watch out M$

Watch out M$ you are using square tiles Apple will be after you

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

user interface

As Galaxy Nexus owner, I love the openness of Android, the fact there is an app for everything and Google doesn't get to say what you can and cannot do. But the user experience is rather iffy on a lot of apps.

I personally really like the windows phone interface (on a phone, on the desktop it is shite) and the clear, simple graphics. I find the plain Jelly Bean UI ok, but the small desktop icons are far harder to see or to push than the live tiles on windows phone. It's just a pity the rest of win phone is as locked-down as iOS and presently lacks essential features like device encryption and VPN or I would have been tempted.

As for skydrive, i had it on my PC/laptop, and it kept forgetting it was supposed to be syncing my webs folder. So i eventually moved everything into dropbox which works far, far better and never seems to forget which folders it is syncing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like