back to article Official: Google's brazen domination of Earth nearly complete

The word “google” is the top domain name on the internet, in terms of registrations, according to new research. A study by domain data provider DomainTools has found that the ad giant's name is registered in 231 of the world's 300-odd top-level domains (TLDs) - from google.biz and google.com to google.tk. It beat its closest …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Deeper Meaning.

Is there some deeper meaning that I need to take from this story, or is it basically nothing but a bit of marginally-interesting trivia? (I have nothing against marginally-interesting trivia; I am just wondering.)

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Deeper Meaning.

Well, it is August. And, er, it's odd that there are more google.tlds than nic.tlds.

C.

1. Turtle

@diodesign: Re: Deeper Meaning.

"Well, it is August. And, er, it's odd that there are more google.tlds than nic.tlds."

Oh so there was a deeper meaning!

Thanks !

(Maybe I need to read up on numerology or something. I wonder if it can be done in binary.)

2. banjomike
    Thumb Up

75 per cent of names registered in .com are not registered in any other TLD.

That makes perfect sense. If you are going to just type in a URL then the chances are pretty damned good that the one you will try first will be the .COM. Even if a troll is camped on "MyDomain.wonk" there is no reason to panic. Unless you are Google, Amazon, etc

3. Lennart Sorensen
    Paris Hilton

Hmm, so nic.ca and nic.mil don't exist, nic.edu and nic.org are something else entirely (and not registrar info). So does anyone actually know that nic.* is supposed to be a useful domain name?

1. Adam Foxton
      Joke

That's not what you worry about

it's Google.MIL that you worry about! The patent war with Apple is about to go nuclear :D

4. Thomas 18
    WTF?

"nic, for Network Information Centre, is often considered the default left-of-the-dot domain"

Interesting.

nic.org is an old folks home.

nic.uk doesn't exist, neither does nic.co.uk

nic.us looks like a legit agency as does nic.com (although their site and logo are pretty fugly).

Have I misunderstood the article or what?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "nic, for Network Information Centre, is often considered the default left-of-the-dot domain"

nic.uk - you'll need a www. with that.

5. Khaptain Silver badge

Is it NIC or NOC

I must admit to being a member of the group that has never heard of nic.tld before.

I have always understaood NOC as being Network Operations Center but NIC is new to me. I don't ever remember reading anything about it in DNS and Bind or any other book for that matter. ( Although I may have overlooked it)

Today could be known as Trivial Tuesday.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

.ie

I always thought it vaguely amusing that while www.nic.uk, .de, .fr et al. all go to some flavour of national internet registry, www.nic.ie until recently was the website of some local removal company.

1. Al Jones

Re: .ie

.ie used to be run by people who understood how the internet worked, but then it was hijacked by IEDR, who understood how important it was to have a CEO earning a 6 figure salary, despite the size of the market, and the relatively restrictive rules. (Though they were able to modify the rule that prevented new 2 letter domains, so that they were allowed as long as the 2nd character was a number. About 6 weeks before the 02 brand name was introduced to the public, funnily enough).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In other news...

Bear feces have been found in the woods.

1. mhenriday
      Headmaster

Agreed,

but please do spell that «faeces» !...

Henri

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's fast becoming Googles Internet. We're just visitors

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like