back to article Twitter joins Linux foundation

A week after it rocked its developer base with a new set of API rules, Twitter has become a Silver-level member of the Linux foundation, assuring the open source world that it’s “fundamental” to Twitter’s success. The microblog already had a keynote slot at the upcoming LinuxCon in San Diego, with its open source manager Chris …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. banjomike
    Meh

willing to give Twitter the benefit of the doubt

Really? I was thinking that Twitter are joining the legions of big companies (Google, Amazon, Apple, etc) that do what they want, when they want, to whom they want, and expect to get away with it.

1. Ru

Re: willing to give Twitter the benefit of the doubt

Google, Amazon, Apple, Twitter. One of these is not like the others, much as it might wish otherwise. Hint: it has something to do with 'profit'.

Twitter's control-freakery is desparation; they've got a massive userbase and a world-wide brand and they simply don't have a clue how to extract any money from it. It is probably premature to call this 'death thoes' rather than 'incompetent flailing', but not too far off the mark. Compare with Facebook's endless stream of privacy-violating ad-pushing instruments.

2. Infidellic_
    Meh

And to think that they've discontinued TweetDeck for Linux, real dedication to all aspects of the platform there. Oh what's that Twitter, you're only interested in the server side of Linux not the client? That doesn't seem self interested at all

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@infidellic

I don't understand the complaint here, 3rd parties can write their own clients. It's not like Linux lacks existing clients. Hell, there are even CLI clients.

Is is not prefereable that Twitter spends it's time/money developing a rock solid server and a good set of API's which would then allow the 3rd parties to write good clients ?

or maybe there is something that I have not quite understand.

3. Zmodem

can try this badboy https://sourceforge.net/projects/nullnuke/ , its fully cross platform file system and will work on any of the mainservers, in any sub directory in muliple times, you can make a twitter module in 2 mins

1. Zmodem

delete the banners client and change the theme to ush and it will look like http://nullnuke.netai.net/

with a whole new code base from any other CMS/portal, setup a custom html index with custom blocks in ./themes/*/blocks.php and ./modules/index.php, add columns to the articles block in blocks.php and you can make reg type index with ease with full customizable side blocks for any module page

any of the functions in ./get_functions and get_functions_file can be used in any page at any time

4. Herby

Will programs...

...be limited to 140 characters?

Or could that be the limit on the data. The final hope is that the ads will be limited to 140 bytes of content (I don't think you can fit a banner ad in that much space, which is a "good thing").

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like