back to article China could penetrate US with new huge missile

It might be time to sweep the cobwebs out of that old nuclear bunker at the bottom of the garden after reports in state-run Chinese media confirmed that the People’s Liberation Army is actively developing an intercontinental missile capable of penetrating US defences. News first emerged of the planned ‘super missile’ from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't think that the US hasn't thought of this and has not addresses this problem.

1. h4rm0ny

Addressed the problem how, exactly? I can realize in advance that someone might shoot me, but I can't just decide to be immune to bullets.

1. Monty Burns

And of course, EVERYTHING the US does is in the public domain from day 1, right?

Oh no, wait, sometimes its hidden for years! How long was the 117 flying before it was actually admitted to for example?

1. SJRulez

Yep like they hid the fact that their anti missile defense system patriot which was meant to protect kuwait had a timing glitch, despite claims they shot down X amount of scud missiles it was later found they pretty much shot down none.

1. David Dawson
            Headmaster

Admittedly, the gulf war was a while ago now... but they weren't protecting kuwait, they were protecting Israel, and the Saudi military bases.

Kuwait was the place they were about to invade...

As far as I remember, they did shoot down scuds, but tended to hit their engines rather than warheads, so, not really a big improvement when its flying over a city.

Their biggest success of the deployment was giving israel enough of a reason not to attack Iraq, which was the whole point of the scud attacks on israel, as it would've fractured the whole coalition and stopped the counter attack.

2. Homer 1
            Terminator

re: "shot down none"

I can't vouch for the veracity of the "official" statistics, but as someone who was personally impacted by the shockwave from a Patriot intercept of a Scud, I can tell you for a fact that they did at least shoot down one of them.

However, I can also tell you, again from personal experience, that the US armed forces are a ramshackle of undisciplined and incompetent kiddies who couldn't fight their way out of a wet bogroll. Indeed, the only reason they manage to achieve any victories at all is by blasting vast payloads of canon-fodder into the field, then rolling in trillions of dollars-worth of largely dysfunctional toys, thus gaining the advantage by virtue of sheer statistical probability.

Of course, that strategy only works when one has the necessary resources, and that is something that's increasingly in short supply in America.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Hmm ... about as long as it took some folks to shoot down that subsonic crate, with an "old-skool" radar and "old" supersonic missile? Think the SR-71A looked a lot more convincing and somewhat stealthy .... although not normally armed, and never shot down.

1. stuartnz

"not *normally* armed"? When was the Blackbird ever armed, and with what?

1. Monty Burns

"not *normally* armed"? When was the Blackbird ever armed, and with what?"

If the pilot was ever called Vasquez, it could have been "harsh language" (Aliens joke)

1. metal_of_goat
                Mushroom

Except the one you had was a male....

That was Frost that wot said that.

Then they ruptured the cooling towers and caused a big bang the size of Nebraska.

And this icon quotes Hicks too, everything's coming up Aliens.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Harsh language, and a good camera ;)

I meant the YF-12 which was very similar but armed, only 3 built ;)

3. FutureShock999

YF-12

The YF-12 was the prototype fighter version of the SR-71. It was to have been armed. But without Google I can't remember if any flew with live weapons systems. The problem of the YF-12 was that it was hideously expensive for a combat aircraft, and worse would have made the Strategic Reconnaissance-71 suddenly become a perceived threat - after all, a ground-based radar cannot tell the two apart. So the mere overflight of an SR-71 could suddenly become an act of war, even if it was supposed to be trying to prevent one...

4. Mike Moyle

@ stuartnz

Before it was the SR-71*, it was a prototype interceptor called the YF-12A, armed with AIM-47 "Falcon" air-to-air missiles.

*Actually, the original version was the A-12, designed as a reconnaissance aircraft, the YF-12 was added on to the assembly line along with the prototype A-12s. The SR-71 is basically a longer, single-seat A12.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
              Boffin

Re: stuartnz

An armed interceptor version of the SR-71 was planned but had too many practical issues. Amongst weapons trialled were (IIRC) Falcon homing missiles housed in weapon bays similar to those on the later F-22. A Vulcan 20mm cannon was looked at until it was realized a full-throttle Blackbird would actually catch up with the shells and damage itself! In theory, the current recce Blackbirds could sacrifice EW bays for weapons and the original weapon bays could be retro-fitted to give a limited strike capability, but existing US jets already offer better strike capability without the need to take valuable Blackbirds out of the recce role.

1. elderlybloke
                Pint

Matt, the SR-71 has been retired for years.

The military donated one to NASA for some form of high altitude science-I forget the details.

Satellites became a more effective method of spying than the SR-71.

Magnificent aircraft though.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

It appears they were keeping secret the original ancestor of the SR-71 (if we are to believe this!) the A-12,

until 2007. Agree, magnificent beast(s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_A-12

Apparently the secret-keeping methods included steak, lobster, and cold hard cash! :P

6. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> "not *normally* armed"? When was the Blackbird ever armed, and with what?

I believe the pilot carried a pistol somewhere under his space suit. :-)

7. TimeMaster T
              Boffin

Confused

I think the OP has the SR-71 confused with the YF-12. Easy to do since the have almost identical airframes, the SR-71 was a little longer and seated two. The biggest difference is that the YF-12 was made to be equipped with weapons to serve as an interceptor as well as straight recon.

Only three are confirmed to have been built.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_YF-12

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          Boffin

Look up "Anti-Ballistic-Missile" for the history of this subject.

ABM systems are as ineffective now against saturation attack (IE all out war) as they were in the early 1960's, when they were first proposed.

And no when you declare several thousand miles of Pacific a no fly zone people tend to suspect something is being tested.

2. Mark Barker
        Mushroom

Not immunity, just MAD

"I can realize in advance that someone might shoot me, but I can't just decide to be immune to bullets."

Well, no.

Not Immunity.

But suppose that you had senses that could detect a bullet being fired at you. Then suppose that when such an attack has been detected, you could pull out an automatic weapon with a REALLY huge magazine and return the favour to the shooter a hundred times over. How many would-be shooters are going to risk taking a pot shot at you?

Despite having a shiny new toy to play with, this is the situation China finds itself in.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Not immunity, just MAD

And so do all the major nuclear powers, AKA MAD as you say.

But clearly anything over say 150 is "enough" against any single big adversary and this seems to be borne out by the numbers that the Majors are sticking with. Having say 6x this isn't really an advantage unless you think absolutely all the other major powers might want to wipe you out, and why would that be? ;)

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons
      Meh

Of course the US has addressed it....

I'm sure the usual suspects (Boeing, BAe, etc) are already rubbing there hands with glee offering to provide a massively expensive solution that only works every fourth Wednesday, when it's dry and sunny, below 22.34 degrees and has been service packed following further consultancy fees.

Either that, or Obama has just bought a BIG UMBRELLA...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Respectively:-

1-Yes, they have thought about it, no doubt.

2-No, they can't do anything about it but then, they couldn't do anything much before either about any of the previous ICBMs from there or anywhere else, and nor could any other country. Sleep easier now?

Yours, Mr Cheery.

1. Monty Burns

Dear Mr Cheery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_defense_systems_of_various_nations#United_States_National_Missile_defense

Both Aster launched from our Type 45's (and France and Germany) and USA systems have proven to be able to shoot down real ICBMs (Without warheads) and then there is the incredibly expensive 747 which has also shot down real ICBMs (again without warheads).....so there is some chance... Of course, this is much harder with a sub parked off your coast firing at a coastal city like New York but so far, I haven't read that anyone other than Russia, France, UK and of course the yanks having an SSBN. I guess a Tomahawk could carry a tactical though from a normal attack sub?

so you can indeed be cheery!

In reality, an ICBM isn't really the issue, normal sea transport methods are the big risk in my opinion. Its all too easy to sail a boat across the channel.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear Mr Cheery

I read it, says "is not designed to be a robust shield against a large attack from a technically sophisticated adversary"

Might catch a few from a smaller rogue nation though... the only one that I can think of that probably has the required bits (missile + nuke warhead) is North Korea. But their rocket test this year failed .....

2. Eddy Ito
          Pirate

Actually they are believed to have one Type 092 Xia class and a few of the newer Jin class Type 094 SSBN with more on the way until the Tang class, Type 096 development is done. If you like, you can zoom in here and see a couple for yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yeah they seemed to have had a lot of trouble wit the earlier sub. Still using it though?

Interesting icy harbor on Google Maps !

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Channel" - have the French got you spooked now? ;)

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yep - one ISO shipping container among 5000 on a ship from a friendly nation.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I'm just intrigued that this has never, ever happened, despite allegedly being easy, and hordes of people wanting to do it, or so we are told ..... ;)

Time to check out "Four Lions" by Chris Morris on IMDB I think, to see why it never happens :P

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"No, they can't do anything about it"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIim3Rj7L4

Similar public information broadcasts kept me totally enthralled as a young child. All they need do is hide under the stairs or build a shelter of old doors - d'oh!

As for the headline, "China could penetrate US with new huge missile", I don't think the US will be too worried about the penetration aspect - They still have generations of UK politicians ('Call Me Dave' included) crawling around, somewhere up their anus.

:))

4. Schultz

US has addressed the problem...

by spending lots of money on interceptor rockets and radar stations. Is there any realistic chance that this missile defense system would take down an intercontinental rocket? Probably not. But some people sleep better at night, because they did all they could.

Politics: Ignore the rocket science, win the elections!

1. h4rm0ny

Re: US has addressed the problem...

"Probably not. But some people sleep better at night, because they did all they could."

Some people sleep better at night because their mattress is cushioned by millions of dollar bills.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually

The US has bigger intercontinental missiles, mines bigger than your so don't mess with me, as they say. Kept the world safe in the cold war.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually

"The US has bigger intercontinental missiles, mines bigger than your so don't mess with me, as they say. Kept the world safe in the cold war."

I hope that was homo(u)r? If not...

Meanwhile, back in reality central, the rest of us old enough to have lived during those times realised that what did in fact keep the world safe was not fear of bigger, better, faster or stronger, but a somewhat more humble set of fears altogether - maybe occasionally tinged with a large enough dose of sanity to assist in overcoming the political paranoia that prevailed for far too many years.

The US was not, nor has it ever been, interested in keeping the *world* safe. The US has - like most other nations and past empires - only ever been interested in self-preservation. But then, I suppose self-preservation is primal instinct number 1.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-36_(missile)

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"The US has bigger intercontinental missiles, mines bigger than your so don't mess with me, as they say. Kept the world safe in the cold war."

No, they really don't.

Sheer blind luck is what kept the world safe, plus fear and caution.

Look up "throw-weight" and see why the arms reduction talks were mostly concerned about Soviet equipment. I think this dates back to rocket motor development, in terms of civilian space use you can buy hugely powerful ex-Soviet designs. Like RD-170/1 and NK-33.

"The R-36M (SS-18) is similar to the R-36 in design, but has the capacity to mount a MIRV payload of 10 warheads, each with a 550–750 kt yield, or a single warhead of up to 20 mt. Throw-weight of the missile is 8,800 kg. This makes the Soviet R-36 the world's heaviest ICBM; for comparison, the heaviest US ICBM (the retired LGM-118 Peacekeeper, that carried 10 warheads of 300 kT each) had less than a half of this at 4,000 kg. The R-36M has two stages. The first is a 460,000 kgf (4.5 MN) thrust motor with four combustion chambers and nozzles. The second stage is a single-chamber 77,000 kgf (755 kN) thrust motor."

6. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Yes, i'm sure they have a giant nuclear explosion proof condom ready to cover all the dongs with....

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

made in China

It won't last much longer than a few months before it needs replacing. I shouldn't worry too much.

Besides ronny put star wars up there years ago and claimed all he got for his 110 billion dollars was a memory foam mattress and a Teflon coated frying pan.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: made in China

"Teflon memory" :P Yup.

2. Gavin 8
    WTF?

I read it as...

Dongfest-41

Oh hold on, wishful thinking.

1. gaz 7

Re: I read it as...

not just me then

3. Antidisestablishmentarianist

FUD

I wonder what percentage of all military boasting etc is just FUD designed to bankrupt your opponents in their effort to counter the perceived threat..

1. Fazal Majid

Re: FUD

A better explanation is that the military industrial complexes of both nations see each other as symbiotic partners in leeching off their respective countries lifeblood.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

i think the missile being "developed" in china is based on the US missile plans "stolen" from los alamos national labratories in new mexico several years back. There were several questionable occurances relating to satellites and missile systems between the US and China around that time.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

This is probable, but to be fair, we should also probably mention they invented gunpowder somewhat earlier ;)

2. Graham Marsden
      Facepalm

That was the retrospective "Oh, look, actually we were really being very clever" justification that Reagan gave for his Star Wars SDI programme when it turned out that all the fancy ideas didn't work.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge

Actually it was Jerry Pournelle's. Regan's speech writer at the time.

3. itzman
      Black Helicopters

The FUD is not to scare the enemy: the FUD is to scare your population so that you can run an alleged democracy as a totalitarian state, and divert large parts of its GNP through industries of your choice at arbitrary profit levels. The Cold War. The War against Communism, Star Wars. The War on Terror. The War on Climate Change..

.Europe has majored on Climate Scare to extract money, but the Yanks have never been big on it and its all falling apart now anyway, so right on cue a new scare is rolled out with the paint still wet.

21st century Fox News presents the War On Wogs. Featuring Cultural Values, A Great Profit Throughout The Land, The Yellow Peril, Contraception. Ethnicity, and Large Phallic Objects that erupt into the sky at breathtaking speed before ejaculating drops of distilled terror down on your heads.

What's hot to like?

1. Ryan 7
        IT Angle

Don't forget STRESS.

I am declaring WAR on STRESS!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I hereby declare WAR on PACIFISM and all those godless, no good pacifists!

4. Mike Flugennock

I wonder what percentage of all military boasting etc is just FUD designed to bankrupt your opponents in their effort to counter the perceived threat..

One hundred.

5. ravenviz Silver badge
      Mushroom

"The first rule of government spending: Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

- SR Hadden" (paraphrased)

4. David 45

Fiendish scheme

Off-shoot of their "peaceful" space program, no doubt. It's about time the lunatic, paranoid and oppressive Chinese government was overthrown in my opinion. Can't believe government members are all as chaste and squeaky-clean as they try and make out. Who controls the controllers?

1. That Awful Puppy
      Thumb Down

Re: Fiendish scheme

Whereas I'm sure none of those family men in the US Government would ever do anything remotely naughty. Like being caught soliciting the kind of sex they frown upon, for example, or getting bribed.

At least in China, those that fall into disfavour tend to get a lead injection, whereas in the good ol' Murrkah, they get a golden parachute.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More like get away with murder:

‘The wife of disgraced Chinese politician Bo Xilai has been given a suspended death sentence for the murder of British businessman Neil Heywood. … The sentence of death with a two-year suspension means that if Gu commits no crimes while in prison, her sentence will be commuted after two years to life imprisonment and could be further reduced for good behaviour …’ (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19312232)

‘The suspended death sentence of Bogu Kaiali, wife of a disgraced Communist Party leader, has come under sharp criticism from Chinese microbloggers who say she was spared from gallows because of her princeling lineage and high status.’ (http://zeenews.india.com/news/world/chinese-microbloggers-upset-with-suspended-death-s_795075.html)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't say commuted to life imprisonment is exactly lenient. It is the standard punishment for full-on murder in most developed countries. She also was remarkably calm and dignified about her fate, saying the "sentence was appropriate" (for what she had admitted she did), none of the usual whinging and crying and "I didn't do it" that you'd get in other countries. This to me signifies respect towards society and the verdict.

Plus, technically, if she's bad in prison "real bad" they can string her up anyway. Yeah, right. ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Off-shoot of their "peaceful" space program, no doubt. It's about time the lunatic, paranoid and oppressive US government was overthrown in my opinion"

There Fixed

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. BongoJoe
    Mushroom

Optional

Where's Alistair Campbell when we need him?

6. JohnG

If US/China relations were so bad as to consider lobbing missiles at each other, the Chinese could achieve considerable impact by simply not sending all kinds of manufactured goods to the West. Of course, this would also fuck up their own economy but so would nuclear war.

1. Stratman
      Devil

If the foil hats are to be believed, they can also activate the secret codes in all the microchips they've sold to the west.

1. hplasm
        Thumb Up

And so it begins...

My bluetooth headset is translating everything into Mandarin.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about lobbing a new super-tasty variety of reverse-engineered PopTarts in huge amounts which would then cause total lack of interest in anything else .... ;)

7. Chris Miller

What ICBM defences?

There are (were?) a few ABMs deployed around Moscow, but further deployments have been limited by treaty. Patriots are (somewhat) effective against short-range missiles with conventional warheads, but wouldn't stop a thermonuclear ICBM. Is the argument that early-warning systems would be ineffective against a threat from China?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: What ICBM defences?

>What ICBM defences?

Nuking them first - remember an ounce of prevention is worth a megaton of cure.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What ICBM defences?

This option doesn't really work for nations with subs, OK they might only be left with subs AS their nation, but hey .....

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Yeah, you can nuke the shit out of the US. So what?

"Recognising the potential threat from China and North Korea, the US is strategically ramping up its military presence in Asia, after years of focus on the Middle East during the Bush administration."

Welfare-warfare in overdrive action, more like.

We now "focus" on the following in no particular order:

- The whole area of the Middle East (anything that irks Israel, in particular nondead Arabs and Persians).

- ...except freedom-loving countries like Saudi-Arabia and Qatar and the home of the 5th fleet, i.e. Bahrain.

- Areas around the Mediterranean where Arabs can be found, ex-friends of Tony Blair.

- All the 'tans, if they don't have a friendly Torturemeisters in charge that we can exploit.

- The newly freedomized nation of Kosovo. Stern warnings are emitted to the enemy of the quarter-century, Serbia.

- China and its dependencies. They have ships, this is dangerous!

- Russia (apparently back in "enemy #1" spot). Putin puts pussies in jail, gotta stop that.

- Anything where Russia can be baited (i.e. "countries that may become member of NATO", "countries where the NED is active", the formerly lovely Georgia. Lately, Romania where we now uphold Romania's constitution for some reason. We are also putting "Anti-Iran Missile Defenses" there.

- Yemen and Somalia and Ethiopia. Dusty countries that have something to do with something. One can send drones.

- Mexico, and the inflamed "War on Drugs" countries. Enjoy the horror.

- We "warn" and "put on notice" large swathes of South America regularly.

- Kony. Don't forget Kony!! He's bad, you know.

- Phillipines. There are terrorists there.

- Cuba.

Come on Hillary, find us new targets. We are feeling idle. How about Space Nazis?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      WTF?

A downvote?

Oh yeah, I forgot the focus on the Homeland. Never forget the Homeland!

2. Humph3
      Thumb Down

Re: Yeah, you can nuke the shit out of the US. So what?

And another downvote from me.

Not that I read your original post, it was too long for me to bother with. But I do make a point of downvoting anyone who gives a fig about being downvoted.

9. jungle_jim
    Mushroom

X37B

Maybe this is what it is all about?

10. Pete 2 Silver badge

21st century warfare

The chinese don't need missiles or nukes to bring the US or any other country to its knees. They just need to stop selling them stuff (or ask for the trillions of $$$s of debt they hold to be repaid). This is nothing new, we learned this lesson during the oil crashes of the 1970s.

The "old fashioned" way to take over a country was by force of arms: invade, bomb the crap out of it, enforce a blockade. All very bloody and very messy. These days, to occupy a country, all you need to do is buy it up, piece by piece.

1. Kharkov
      Devil

Re: 21st century warfare

To bring the US to its knees, all the Chinese have to do is wait. The US is 16 trillion dollars in debt, by 2016 - at current rates - it'll be 21 trillion dollars in debt (more than a trillion dollars a year) and by 2020, it'll be 26 trillion dollars in debt.

And the interest repayments will be a bitch...

1. Nightkiller

And by that time there will have been plenty of sovereign defaults. The U.S. will just be another one on the pile. When that happens, it will be the source of Chinese economic implosion as well. Wait! The Chinese are the largest buyer of Gold today. Do you think they've figured this out?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@pete 2 - buying a country doesn't work. What are you going to do if there's trouble? Pick up the land and take it back to China ?

@kharkov. The same principle applies to debt. What are the Chinese going to do if the US decides not to pay ? They can't exactly reposess anything now can they ?

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

> buying a country doesn't work.

The Americans bought (what is now) 6 whole states from the French in the 1800's. They also bought Alaska from the Russians some 60 years later. Just apply the right pressure, or wait for an opportune moment and it's a policy that seems to work - at least for one party in the deal.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@pete2 <sigh> the siuations aren't comparable. Firstly the purchase was a transfer of sovreignity, not exactly the same as buying a house or a building. Secondly it was done with full knowledge and consent. What you're advocating is stealth purchases. Finally the land in question was geographically coincident with the US. It's not as if the US bought alsace. That means it would be extremely difficult for the french to abrogate the purchase -and trying to do so would result in a war in which they would be disadvantaged logistically. If the chinese were to purchase large tracts of the US the purchases would be subject to US law, which could change anytime the US decides. It's called nationalisation. If this happened there's nothing China can do To defend these 'purchases' sonce their military support is a few thousand miles and an ocean away.

2. Kharkov
        Boffin

What can China do if the US decides not to pay? Fair question (the answer is 'not much') but it kind of misses the point. Not paying the Chinese will be seen (rightly) as a partial default on American Bonds & T-Bills.

Once that happens, watch the private sector - who are holding about 4 trillion dollars (this number will go up a lot in the next ten years or so) of American Debt - freak out, panic, run around like chickens with their heads cut off and then refuse to rollover their Bond/T-Bills, forcing the US to find up to 4 trillion dollars in a hurry.

Repercussions, repercussions...

3. Allonymous Coward
      IT Angle

I would've thought 21st century warfare would also include Stuxnet and friends.

4. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
      Pirate

ZeroHedge reckons that, if push comes to shove in the current Israel/Iran face-off:

1 - The US will provide aggressive military support to Israel

2 - The Russians will provide defensive military support to Iran

3 - China will flex its financial muscles, and dump US Treasury Bonds - thus collapsing the US economy...

11. Jim 59

China

Hope China does not turn into another USSR. Or rather, hope it follows the USSR into trying democracy and dismantling itself. Unfortunately China's leaders are addicted to absolute power, the worlds most potent drug. Folks like Assad, Ahmadinejad, kim jong-un will do anything, and commit any crime, to get their supply. We need more Gorbachevs and Mandelas to get us out of this mess.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: China

>hope it follows the USSR into trying democracy and dismantling itself

Yes a china run by a few mafia bosses, with it's army essentially a criminal gang and a strangle-hold on europe's gas supply - that's what we hope for.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, the gas supply bit's true, well done ;) Does this mean you praise China as it currently is? ;)

2. Tom 7

Yes russia's getting really democratic right now - a bit like the US but not even bothering with a democrat 'opposition' to save money.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's not quite true, results included the following:-

Candidates Nominating parties Votes %

Vladimir Putin United Russia 45,513,001 63.64

Gennady Zyuganov Communist Party 12,288,624 17.18

Mikhail Prokhorov Independent 5,680,558 7.94

Vladimir Zhirinovsky Liberal Democratic Party 4,448,959 6.22

Sergey Mironov A Just Russia 2,755,642 3.85

Would you have preferred the Communist or the Oligarch Prokorov instead? Or just a weak Russia generally ;)

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Aldous
    Trollface

A cunning plan

"Sir, China's built a long range nuke that can hit anywhere in the US"

"Dammit, Fire up plan Star Wars III"

"ok, but that will cost a hunred billion squillion dollars"

"no problem we will just borrow the cash and increase the debt"

Meanwhile in Bejing:

"Hello, Super duper bank here"

"er,,hi we need to borrow one hundred billion squillion dollars on the US account please. we need some cool lasers and things, you know for safety"

"sure thing, oh and here is the intrest as well"

*click"

Cost of missile program = few hundred million . Cost of bankrupting your biggest competitor: Priceless

14. RainForestGuppy

why target America?

Any conflict is going to be with other asia-pac countries, there is a lot of sabre rattling over gas and oil reserves in the South and East China sea's

And don't forget that China and India glare at each other across the himilaya's and there is still large military presences on both sides of the disputed border.

I think China is more likely to be concerned with its direct competitors, who also have nuclear weapons and space launch technologies, rather than their main target market

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why target America?

"target market", I like it ;)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oi, China!

Why do you feel the need to build an intercontinental missile?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Obviously!

Shouldn't you be off trawling the Apple threads for the latest news?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yah, pesky foreigners, living on different continents, most inconvenient! ;)

16. Andy 36
    Joke

Stark Industries

Sells the Jericho to the Chinese...

17. Shane 4

Jobless

Title should of added, "China could penetrate the US with new huge missile and create massive social unrest/unemployment in it's backyard".

They nuke US or any other major country and they no longer have anyone to buy their cheap goods!

I don't think any major power in this day and age is stupid enough to want to attack another,It's now a global economy if one fails the whole lot collapses,May as well nuke themselves as well. It's only the rogue countries that don't want to be part of the global system that is the problem, They are still living in the past.

18. David Pollard

"The Jane's report quoted anonymous US officials ..."

... according to the report in the South China Morning Post. Was the revelation neatly timed for the issue to feature in the American election?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The Jane's report quoted anonymous US officials ..."

China wanting a slice of American Republican funding pie having decided Obama is to big on homeland issues?

19. Arachnoid
    Mushroom

Another well timed excuse to ramp up the defence bill..........OH MY, EMPTY OUT THE ANDERSON SHELTER!

20. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Meh

Made in China

Meh! The USAians will probably have to send it back 3 times before they get a working one. I wouldn't worry too much. Even if it passed QC in China there is still a good chance that something will break before it's even half way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Made in China

Most Chinese stuff I've seen lately has been of perfect quality, unless it was tremendously cheap of course.

Still, they might make it slightly kitsch or tacky-looking, like aesthetically a bit "off'' due to misunderstanding the target market a little. How undignified to be wiped out by an unfashionable-looking missile, possibly with fake jewels, extra blue LEDs, or swirly silk-screened flower prints on its casings . ;)

2. Beelzeebub
      Mushroom

Oh dear, aren't we in dear old Blighty halfway between the USa and China?

1. John70

Not if they fire in the other direction.

21. Grikath
    Meh

Call me mr. Silly...

But last time I checked the chinese have already put people in orbit and got them back safely.

Logic tells me that as soon as you can achieve earth orbit, you automatically can drop whatever you want anywhere on the planet.

So how is this news? Or startling. Or even mildly interesting?

22. Mike Brown

do these WMD's have an operational time of 45 mins?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Umm, these are real ones, you traditionally have less than 10 minutes to "get prepared"

So if your last wish is food, make sure you have a microwave and don't do anything too elaborate, you won't enjoy it ;)

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

> do these WMD's have an operational time of 45 mins?

Yes, but you have to allow up to 10 working days for delivery

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Any colour you like, minimum order of 1200 units on Ali Baba ;)

23. SirDigalot
    Coat

Starwars I II and III

are all crap.... but when we get to star wars IV there will be a new hope...

<<<<<<sorry i am leaving now

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm

Reckon WW3 is not too far away

25. Gil Grissum
    Pint

Just in time for a Mormon President

All we need now is a Cult member (Mormon) and his Catholic Zealot Medicare gutting buddy (Ryan) to win the election and insure billions of wasted dollars coming up with a solution for this problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just in time for a Mormon President

And where will they borrow the money to fund it? Those cunning Chinese.

2. RICHTO
      Mushroom

The Catholics are a larger cult than the Mormons...

1. hplasm
        Coat

Aren't all religions just a bunch of cults?

1. Tilman Ahr
          Holmes

S /l/n/

should fix it...

Damn. My sed is getting almost as bad as my mobile's 'keyboard'.

26. Spoonsinger
    Mushroom

Sceptical,,.,

(sic), cheaper option would be to just use infiltrators to attack key structures, (i.e. power and water or underground tunnels - ref "Battle Beneath the Earth" ). It would be cheaper and they have the man power. Or alternatively use economic tactics, (i.e. sovereign wealth funds seem peachy when you are flush).

1. myarse
      Headmaster

Re: Sceptical,,.,

If they wanted to be really cheap couldn't they all jump up and down at the same time?

2. Tom 7

You talking more tory selloffs?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have you ever *tried* selling a Tory?

1. YouStupidBoy

Not personally tried selling one, but I've heard that buying them can be done relatively easily and cheaply.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well these new pork-growing labs need some kind of vaguely animal-related material as feed stock ;)

2. Tilman Ahr
          Trollface

Yeah. That's why I'm going to be in debt for the foreseeable future...

27. Mectron

Declaration of War!

This is a declaration of War from China. a total embargo on China should be instantly put in place. every single chinese peoples sould be immediatly deported back to china. all china asset arround the word should be freezed. a pre-emptive strike on all of china/NK millitary installation (especialy nuclear onea) should be done immediatly.

This is how you solve problems: with ACTiON, not talk. China is a ENEMY country. no amont of cheap labor will chnage that,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Declaration of War!

Brilliant troll, if it is one ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately 'Brilliant Troll' is the code phrase to tell a dozen sleeper agents to arm nuclear suitcase bombs in US cities. You just started World War III.

Coat

I thought 'Brilliant Troll' is the new DARPA project for a self propelled mole with on board AI.

Time to be gone.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Total Embargo??? OMG the world will go deeper into depression without the Chinese made knockoffs and Apple gadgets....

Will someone think of Apple's profit margin...

3. Chimp

Yes , kudos for an exemplary, if slightly (but convincingly) inarticulate, man in the street with pickup and guns point of view. Well played, sir.

4. Derpity
      Trollface

Not sure if troll. The content has to be sarcasm but the typographical and grammar errors say stupidity...

5. Tilman Ahr
      Facepalm

Ah yes.

The intellectual elite of the western/free world at it's very finest...

No, my irony detector is fine. Must be around here somewhere, under all that tinfoil.

28. thomas k.

Why bother?

Unless it can penetrate the bunkers of Rockefeller, Rothschild and other assorted Illuminati, why bother? Better chances of success with the Yakuza ninja assassins Ben Fulford's been prattling on about.

29. Curly4
    Boffin

Why launch ICBMs

You guys are not insinuating that China would EVER launch an ICBM w/nuclear warhead are you? Just think, If they did launch a strike that would ruin the land for occupation for a long time. That would not be worth the effort when all China has to do is wait (which China is a master at) a few years and there will not be any reason to launch a strike the US and the rest of what has been called the WEST will not be a threat to it no matter what China dose.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why launch ICBMs

Actually, you shouldn't worry too much, I heard they traditionally stored their ICBM warheads detached from their missiles in China, not sure if this is for safety or just to make the spanner-guy sweat for a laugh-

"yes, we'ŗe really launching them this time Jimmy, honestly, get a move on, look at my face "angry"' Rarrrr ! " Makes tiger gestures ...

"OK Boss!"

10 minutes later .....

"Hang on, nothing happening ... not again! Bastards!"

Anyway, MIRVs, whatever, been there, done that, in the rest of the world ..... ;)

30. Mike Flugennock

Hey, waitaminnit... why do the Chinese need a missile...

...when they can destroy the US by calling in their debt?

Of course, like Dennis Miller, I could be wrong.

Meh

Re: Hey, waitaminnit... why do the Chinese need a missile...

IIRC back in the 80's the Japanense (remember when the US was scared of them?) delayed buying up the weekly portion of the US National Debt (the Treasury Bill auction IIRC) as Ronnie and the boys rhetoric was getting a bit strident.

Chilled them right out.

Of course that was when people were a bit worried that the US debt was over *one* tera dollars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was that after Reagan had made the USA into an actual "debtor" as opposed to the creditor it was previously? :)

Was that after Reagan had made the USA into an actual "debtor" as opposed to the creditor it was previously?

Yes

2. Tilman Ahr
      Mushroom

Might have something to do with their realizing there's more to the world than the US...

Fucking illegal aliens, all of THEM.

31. Alan Firminger

This problem is as old as the missile shield, that is back to Reagan

When the anti missile missile was proposed to protect all freedom loving arse kicking people like us the immediate response was that it could never cope with multi targeted warheads plus hundreds, or even thousands, of decoys.

A single decoy is a flat pack that unfolds to provide a radar reflector.

They can be deployed as a cloud in front of the warheads.

1. JCitizen
      Mushroom

Re: This problem is as old as the missile shield, that is back to Reagan

Decoys are easy to detect. They won't be a problem, and they are already factored into planning.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This problem is as old as the missile shield, that is back to Reagan

There is no planning for this and no system to counter it, other than balance of power and diplomacy, despite what people may have told you.

The new USA NMD using SM3 should catch maybe 20 actual missiles in its initial form. Intended to catch them from small rogue states, in the Middle East (or maybe North Korea?) which is its declared purpose. That's better than before for most areas.

The French Aster 30 can stop theatre missiles up to 3000km range, not full-on intercontinental types.

Other Aster variants can stop anti-shipping missiles. Same most likely applies to Russian mobile anti-missile systems.

Not going to stop, say 150-1800 MIRV-ed ones from a suddenly insane major power. That's not going to happen anyway.

The other major nuclear powers COULD fry you any time they wish, but that's been the case for the last 50 years and they haven't bothered for obvious reasons, so I don't see what you'ŗe worried about. Apart from pride, well too bad.

32. Local Group
    Mushroom

"U.S. Withdrawal From the ABM Treaty: President Bush’s Remarks and U.S. Diplomatic Notes"

http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2002_01-02/docjanfeb02

Anyone who doesn't understand how this relates to today's assignment, please see me after class.

33. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Mushroom

There seems to be a lot of argument...

...here about whether or not the US can effectively down a MIRVed ICBM attack.

Unfortunately, most Reg readers do not have access to the latest intelligence regarding US capabilities in this regard. I wonder who has..Aha, that's right! The Russians and the Chinese.

You would think that, before spending a lot of money on developing an ICBM, the Chinese would have done a study on how effective it would be against US defences, wouldn't you?

Of course, we don't know if the Chinese are REALLY developing a missile, or just saying that they are. But if they are, you can be sure that they will have studied the opposition, and decided that building a missile is a worthwhile spend of their money...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There seems to be a lot of argument...

But all the other majors have MIRVs, what's the difference from a (no-) defense point of view? ;)

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't worry too much

If war with China broke out, both sides were already screwed anyways, there was never a reason to sleep peacefully before

http://www.rand.org/pubs/occasional_papers/OP344.html

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wouldn't worry too much

Hang on, Rand says it gives, in addition to Objective Analysis, "Effective Solutions", I want my money back ;)

(OK kidding, think the paper's free anyway)

35. Local Group
    Big Brother

How can El Reg have an article about the dangers of China...

without mentioning China's trusted sidekick, Russia?

No, not sidekick. They are Les frères Corses. The Brothers Corsican. Siamese twins separated at birth, all grown up now and thirsty for revenge for the hostile estrangement they experienced at their birth.

If one of China's huge ones gets through, fine, but it's the destruction of the crude oil off loading terminals in North America and Europe that's their first target. And sinking oil tankers headed to them. The oceans will run black with crude if the US, the UK, NATO, and Israel try to gain some advantage on China and Russia by attacking Iran. It could happen any time before the NATO anti-missile shield is operational, if Russia decides to make good on it's threat to launch a preemptive strike on the Polish, Czech, and Romanian installations.

Preemptive strikes like the kind Israel has used before without retaliation.

After all, what would von Clausewitz do?

36. Dana W
    Happy

Hah.

They can't kill us, we owe them WAY too much money.

37. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

First rule of loan sharking

Dead customers don't pay up.

But perhaps a little more direct *encouragement* might work?

38. All names Taken

Here we go again?

39. TruElitistNot

China's huge new missile

Asian missile size does not come anywhere near huge and no way they are penetrating anyone.

40. Bryan Hall

Who needs an ICBM?

No one...

Just drive the bombs across the Mexican border. A truck is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to get places than an ICBM all the way from China!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who needs an ICBM?

People always say this, but it never, ever happens.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, China builds a new

MIRV type system?

Sounds like the US needs a new system to watch for MIRVS.

http://www.worldthinktank.net/pdfs/High-Altitude-Dirigible-ICBM-Missile-Defense_1.htm

42. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boring

Blah Blah Blah -- All the problems of humanity are the fault of the US...... Give it a rest already.

1. Local Group

Re: "All the problems of humanity are the fault of the US."

More likely the fault of gay, pot smoking abortionists.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Debt insurance

If an individual borrows from a loan shark and defaults on a payment they send a scary looking big bloke/woman round to frighten them into paying up there and then preferably.

China fears that the US might get to a stage where it cannot pay the interest on the bonds bought by the Communist Party sorry err Government and obviously a state cannot compel another to pay up in the same way as an individual and the party shows contempt for its own people so the rest of the world (apart from other oppressive reigmes) are absolute scum as far as they are concerned

So imagine the following scenario:

China gets wind that the US is struggling to pay its debts or the US delays payment on the bonds:

(phone call from Beijing to Washington)

Chinese PM: Hello Mr. President, we notice you have not made this month's bond payment.

US President: Yes Prime Minister we are having some issues due to falling tax receipts.

PM: You know what we can do if you refuse to pay.

US: We are not refusing to pay, we just need a few more days.

PM: You have until 15.00 tomorrow to pay up.

US: I can't guarantee we'll have the money tomorrow.

PM: If payment is not received we will consider it refusal to pay and take appropriate measures.

US: But, but.....

PM: You should have thought about that before borrowing to finance wars and cheap consumer goods.

US: but but.

PM: there is no negotiation.

Click as phone goes down

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deception

Smells to me like the Chinese Military will do anything to avoid losing their behind-the-scenes control of large portions of the Chinese Economy --- Including "protecting" China from the unproven US Missile Shield....

45. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

And the world looks a little bit more like the setting of Fallout every day..

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No need for military force

80% of all goods sold in the U.S. today are produced in China. The Chinese are buying up all the real estate in the U.S. including both residential and commercial. Before long they will own the U.S. without ever firing a single shot. Take a drive thru any industrial park in the U.S. and note the names of the businesses. Check who has been purchasing all of the property in the U.S.

47. wayne 8
    Mushroom

Obviously the USA needs to spend more $$$ on the MIC

Obviously the USA needs to spend more $$$ on the MIC. Err, a missile gap you know, can't have a gap. Only money can fill the gap.

Timing coincides with talk of budget cuts for the war dept.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Obviously the USA needs to spend more $$$ on the MIC

As the disembodied robot voice in London Underground says ... "Mind The Gap" !

The last "missile gap" was largely fictional too, wasn't it? In hindsight, with all the stuff we are lucky to be able to read now.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Obviously the USA needs to spend more $$$ on the MIC

"Timing coincides with talk of budget cuts for the war dept."

I think it's been a while since they called the DoD the "War Dept"

Although given the US record perhaps the old name was a little more accurate.

48. ZenCoder
    Joke

A new way to influcence elections.

Political parties can sell congressional districts that are likely to vote against them to the Chinese to meet loan payments. As an added bonus we will be able to buy goods build with 3rd world labor without all that pesky international shipping.

49. Norman123

No super power is safe too long before its nemesis develops something new to counter its hegemony. Will the world be able to live without fear of wars and warmongers? How we can send probes to all the planets in the solar system and beyond yet cannot devise a socio-economic-political system that help humans live in peace, prosperity, equality and creating the imaginary heaven of religions (isms) on earth?

50. mhenriday
    Boffin

A question, Phil -

if it wasn't time «to sweep the cobwebs out of that old nuclear bunker at the bottom of the garden» when we knew that the US had targetted China with 3rd generation ICBMs, why is it now time to do so when we learn (are told) that China is responding by targetting the US with the same type of device ? Has the Chinese government shown a greater dispostion to bomb other countries than the United States ? It is hardly China that represents the greatest threat to mankind's survival....

Henri

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: A question, Phil -

"....Has the Chinese government shown a greater dispostion to bomb other countries...." If you'd bothered to read up on the matter you might have known that the Chinese have always kept a large number of their ICBMs pointed at Russia and India, their closest enemies for decades, rather than the US. The Chinese upgrade is much more to do with the increase in Indian nuke and defence capabilities and keeping one step ahead of the Japanese rather than the US. But your "I-hate-Unka-Sam" blinkers probably stopped you realising those obvious facts.

51. JCitizen
    Mushroom

Where's the beef?

What's all this discussion about the SR-71, and what in tarnation does that have a tinker's damn to do with MIRVs!!!

The US "Star-wars" program was already designed to intercept MIRVs, because we and the Russians already have them. The Chinese have probably been embarrassed for years because they couldn't afford them. Now that they do, I wouldn't really call it any kind of advantage at all. We and the Russians got smart a long time ago and started reducing our warhead inventory. If China want's to repeat failed history - I say let them! It is now cheaper to build the interceptors than it is to build the MIRVs. We could have millions of interceptors for the price of a squadron of MIRVs. We will bury them economically, and not even fire a shot. No one - not even the Chinese - are crazy enough to pull that trigger.

I have seen many a test footage of intercept vehicles of various types, for 20 years now. Anyone who thinks they don't work is fooling them selves. We shot a nuclear powered SUV to Mars and hit what amounts to a nat's ass in a crater. You don't think we can intercept a warhead? I don't care if they are multiple warheads, I don't even care if they are independently targeted and even using deflection tactics - we can hit them with literally shot gun blasts of individually controlled intercept vehicles fired just like a giant shotgun in space - and WAY cheaper than a MIRV!!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where's the beef?

But where did its nuclear fuel come from? - Russia.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well apparently the military think they don't work, and plan accordingly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Rarr Rarr Ful-on Star Wars was all built and worked Rarr Rarr. The military don't seem to think so, apart from anyone else.

I liked the "we will bury them economically" bit, with IOUs, maybe?

Perhaps you are an elaborate troll?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are you not embarrassed that the French can fry your sorry ass any time they like and have been able to do so since the 1960s?

52. Bradley Hardleigh-Hadderchance
    Joke

Does the name of the missile have the name of..

DONG.... somewhere in the title.

Never let it be said that those Chinese types never had penis envy too.

I rue the day when Central Africa gets a projectile.

Wtf, will we call it then?

Let me get back to you on that.

I shall call up some of my young blond girly friends.

They seem to know more about this area than I.

(And if you think I am joking or being ironic, I can assure you, in no way, am I being as such).

It was a joke I suppose.

One of those things we used to have in the 20th Century, but not only fell out of fashion in the 21st Century, but also became illegal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like