back to article HP storage unit battered as buyers dodge EVA, tape

HP's storage results sank 5 per cent year-on-year in its latest quarter due to declining EVA array and tape product revenues. CFO Cathy Lesjak said in the earnings call: "In Storage, the continued strong performance of 3PAR with more than 60 per cent growth and StoreOnce with double-digit growth did not offset the decline in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jeez, another mention of "memristors". This should be part of the Reg drinking game along with penile metaphors.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They're only two years away from announcing that memristors will be available in two years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Double digit" - that means 10 right?

3. Terry P

I'm not surprised, I know people who would rather have AIDS than an EVA array. Why are they selling ANY if Compellent is so good? Are they pricing it too high?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'why are they selling any if compellent is so good...?'

Perhaps because EVA is a HP product and Compellent is a Dell product...?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're selling them to inflexible people who are already customers but mostly in places like Serbia. Pretty soon that's going to be the general case for HP enterprise stuff.

5. David 14
    WTF?

Just what they asked for...

Okay... as a person who works for a successful HP Business Partner, this is no surprise!

They have spent the last year pushing their 3PAR arrays very hard, and for those not looking at that level of enterprise storage, they push the P4000 series.... I have been struggling with this myself as when HP themselves are talking to customers they push 3PAR as the FC option, and P4000s as the other option, but it has been iSCSI only.

This leads customers to see the obvious that EVA is out of the picture and being ignored even by the vendor, so continued investment here is not an option... so they are faced with replacing their FC SANs or moving to iSCSI... and many shops are not ready to strand an investment in FC and go full-on to iSCSI.

Being a business partner with HP is tough in the storage arena often... luckily, also selling EMC, IBM, NetApp, and others helps, when we have that option!

My $0.02

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just what they asked for...

Agree, I see several EVA installs considering refreshes without HP on the short list. IBM's V7 or XIV (in larger shops), HDS' HUS and NetApp seem to be taking over mid-range.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paid too much, now they have to get an ROI

HP is entirely focused on 3PAR. That's what happens when you pay $3.4 billion for a niche storage player. I am sure 3PAR is growing rapidly, but when you start with a small amount, that isn't hard to do. 3PAR is going to need a bunch of 60% growth years to get a return on their $3.4 billion. The Hitachi OEM business, XP, is going out. HP is trying to get all of those installs to 3PAR. It isn't all about focus. It would be a pretty strange decision to select EVA over V7000 or VNX. HP doesn't have a strong mid-range array.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like