back to article Groupon loses second top sales bod in a week

Groupon is losing its US sales boss Lee Brown, who followed other senior execs who scarpered off earlier this year. Brown, senior vice president of national sales, has decided to leave the voucher bazaar, according to an internal memo seen by Reuters. Groupon in the UK said it couldn't confirm or deny that Brown had resigned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Voucher Bazaar... or Spam Factory?

I'll tell you what: I bought some stuff on Groupon a while ago, and have been getting emails notifying me of offers ever since. But lately those emails seem to be coming more and more often, while the deals have been getting worse and worse. Their new "Groupon Goods" category is almost completely made up of items which, after the alleged "huge discounts" they tout, turn out to be only very marginally less expensive than what a websearch will find you whenever you feel like buying that item..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't comment on Groupon US...

But here in Europe they're just a bunch of parasitic scam artists.

And if they would like to sue me for saying that, the Reg is free to fork over my email adress if it is subpoena'd.

1. Turtle

@Peter R. 1 Re: Can't comment on Groupon US...

"But here in Europe they're just a bunch of parasitic scam artists."

Oh they certainly are parasitic scam artists; I had no intention of implying otherwise. But their original strategy was to scam business owners and share the proceeds with Groupon's customers. Now however insofar as "Groupon Goods" goes, they seem to be heading towards scamming their customers in concert with businesses who have these overstocked and/or borderline unmerchantable goods for sale. (I assume their "Groupon Getaways" exhibit pretty much the same tendency but those emails get put in trash unread, so I can't really be 100% sure.)

When we originally found out about Groupon, we thought it was pretty good but then we found out how it works, and we are pretty careful about what deals we buy because we really don't want to be the cause of some small business owner, whose business might just be getting off the ground, losing significant sums of money.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Clearly they should have used an "Employ one, get one free" executive coupon.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

...or even a fish pedicure using great white sharks.

4. Mike Brown

Agree with the above, it all seems to be tat these days. They seem to have turned into QVC by email

5. Ian Michael Gumby
    Thumb Up

This is actually good!

Most of these senior execs are 'one trick pony' types.

So getting new blood in allows Groupon to actually turn things around and change format.

Not that I'm a big fan of Groupon, but there are a lot of Yuppie Housewives who are...

6. Hoagiebot

"Groupon is losing its US sales boss Lee Brown, who followed other senior execs who scarpered off earlier this year."

Like rats deserting a sinking ship...

This topic is closed for new posts.