back to article Angry Sunfish in piscene boss battles

Princeton University researchers investigating the behaviours of predatory fish have developed a kind of “video game” testing the feeding preferences of the bluegill sunfish. Describing their research target as “famously ravenous”, the researchers projected simulated prey onto one side of a tank – either as a single target, or …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Unhappy

Disappointed.

From the heading I was expecting ocean sunfish (Mola mola) getting all fighty. Those things are huge, they can weigh more than two tonnes!

1. Gavin King
      Pint

Me Too.

I was secretly hoping for a story of some sunfish sick of being poked and prodded turning on the scientists doing the poking and prodding, with hilarious/disastrous results.

Perhaps it's the Friday afternoon kicking in --- time for one of these (<--) to fix it.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Me Too.

You want PUTA (People for the Unethical Treatment of Animals) to take an interest, is that it?

1. The lone lurker

Re: Me Too.

Are these people related to the people that decided calling fish 'Sea kittens' would stop fishing because no one wants to hurt cute kittens?

http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/

Nutters.

2. frank ly

I'm wondering ......

"This experiment makes some very specific predictions about what's a good configuration and what's not a good configuration, ..."

It would be interesting if the optimal configuration/behaviour, that they found in their experiments, was not the one that was already exhibited by prey groups in the wild. (Since prey groups have had millions of years to refine their technique.)

How would you go about teaching a shoal of sardines to change their behaviour? Would it be morally right to do so?

3. John H Woods Silver badge

Hold on...

"As we saw with sociobiology – the debunked field which posits that social behaviour is a result of evolution ..."

Andrew Orlowski

4. AManFromEpsom

groan

"immersive simulation" ? Don't tell me that's not deliberate

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like