back to article VMware desktop virt refresh lets you run Windows 8 everywhere

Just days ahead of its annual VMworld conference in San Francisco, VMware has announced new versions of its consumer desktop virtualization solutions for Windows and Mac OS X, both with improved support for Windows 8. VMware Workstation 9, which the company announced on Thursday, has been optimized for running on Windows 8 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

available for linux too

vmware workstation 9 is immediately available for linux too. I was prompted to upgrade my system yesterday but have not yet.

2. James 47

VMWare Player

Window8 installed fine (if not a little sluggish) on their free Player app.

As for OSX, unless something has changed you can only install OSX Server in a virtual machine, and that VM must be running on an OSX host. At least for VMWare Player, the OSK keys are not present and you'll get a message along the lines of 'This isn't a Mac machine. GTFO'.

There are ways around this of course! I have Mountain Lion (genuine copy) running fine on Win7 with Player.

3. b166er

Ah yes, but will it run Windows 8 on Windows 8 RT?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"VMware has also improved Workstation's Unity mode, which allows applications running in virtual machines to appear on the host desktop as if they were running natively on the local OS, so that Metro-style Modern UI apps for the Windows 8 Start Screen integrate seamlessly with desktop applications."

ERRRR, Are you saying when you run Windows 8 in a virtual machine in Unity mode, it will turn your Linux desktop into Metro (er what every)?

2. h4rm0ny

Running an x86 OS on an ARM platform...?

The computer says 'No.'

4. Toastan Buttar
    Windows

'Sup Dawg???

I heard you like runnin' Windows 8, so I put compatibility into VMWare, so you can run Windows 8 while you run Windows 8.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: 'Sup Dawg???

Maybe they are doing it so peps can run Windows 8 specific stuff from their Windows XP - 7 machines?

5. Robert Grant

VirtualBox setup easy as pie

I have a VB install from a few months ago; it picked up that it was a Windows 8 VM and the thing quietly installed with absolutely minimal config. And it's free.

6. K
    WTF?

required a complex set of steps.. REALLY?

Maybe if the person was seriously technically challenged!

I setup a standard Windows 7 VM, booted from the Windows 8 DVD and it installed first time with absolutely no problems.

7. Keith 72

Why bother?

Windows 8 has Hyper-V.

8. Andy ORourke
    Joke

Ah, but what happens.......

If you type "Google" into google on a VM running inside a VM!!

9. Dave 3
    Thumb Up

Virtual networks for macs too

VMWare Fusion Pro also now lets you create virtual networks, between virtual machines.

http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop_virtualization/fusion/professional.html#professionals

10. Rampant Spaniel

Remote access

I admit I may be the only person in the universe to do it, but I do use a smartphone to remote access my desktop and servers. With a decent 4g or wifi signal, a sensible screen (size and resolution) and a qwerty keyboard it's better than no access. Useless for games but for stuff a smartphone cannot handle (ms access for example) you can get some work done.

The new 5 inch true hd phones coming, coupled with a bt keyboard and mouse should be a little better as well.

Obviously its not for everyon, but some of us will use it.

11. PAT MCCLUNG

Clerk

I can't imagine why anybody would want to run Windows 8 anywhere. Probably enslaved by a demented employer.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Clerk

A software developer who wants to check that their product works on Windows 8 without inflicting it on the staff for everyday use.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like