back to article LulzSec sneak Sabu buys six more months of freedom

Hector Xavier Monsegur, aka Subu, who allegedly led and then sold out the LulzSec hacking group, has bought himself another six months of freedom from the big house. The US Department of Justice has filed a motion in the New York courts to keep Monsegur on the streets until February 2013 due to his "ongoing cooperation with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

They should make that pic part of Apple's marketing strategy.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

"An eminently trustworthy character"

Lulz were had.

3. Aitor 1

let him burn in hell

First, he is a cracker/system hacker.

Second, he sells his fr13ndz.

4. tkioz
    Terminator

I wonder if he'll disappear into witness protection when he gets out. Some of the hate that's been directed at him is a touch insane, and after all this is the interwebz so I wouldn't put it past some wackjob to fixate on him.

1. jaduncan

He's liked as much as most people who give up all of their friends in return for 6 months of freedom. Whatever happens couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

1. tkioz
        Trollface

Well to be perfectly honest jaduncan, there are very few of my friends I'd be willing to go to federal "he touched me in a bad place" prison for...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It wouldn't be him going there for them, it will be them going there for him. One might consider the illicit side of it to balance out - ignoring for the moment the question of whether he really was what one would consider some sort of instigater - but if all else is equal, the difference between them and him is he's trading a presumably significant part of _their_ lives to pay for _his_ mistakes. Like granny-muggers, there really is no place for people like him among the living.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When the Feds come knocking with enough charges against you to put you away for decades never to see your children again unless you turn on some internet "friends" you have never met IRL and only know from IRC boards, what would you do?

When confronted with the prospect of serious time in a Federal jail with hardened criminals (drop the soap sugar?) Most people would cut a deal in that situation.

Its sad he risked never seeing his chrildren grow up just to be an ass on the Internet "for teh lulz". Seems he realised his mistake himself as soon as the Feds were at his door.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Lulz!

Ah well, he'll probably never do any jail time and end up working for the Feds like Abagnale, but at least we can take amusement from imagining the look on his face when those "too-dumb-to-catch-me" G-men knocked on his door.

6. Zmodem

he was pre occupied looking after his bird kes

1. jungle_jim
      Thumb Up

It were proper bo, I tell thee!

7. jake Silver badge

One wonders if "three hots & a cot" won't look like a good thing ...

... after the fucking idiot realizes he's unemployable.

"When three meet to discuss revolution, two are fools and the other is a government spy." --Old Russian proverb (anecdotal)

1. Harthin

Re: One wonders if "three hots & a cot" won't look like a good thing ...

I would imagine you don't have kids. Three hots & a cot doesn't mean anything if you can't see your kids.

Not to mention, he has made the careers of a number of government employees. There is a good chance he will find a place thanks to them.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: One wonders if "three hots & a cot" won't look like a good thing ...

You imagine wrong. My daughter is the Senior Member of the Technical Staff for a Fortune 150. Her goal in life is to become a better ethical hacker than I am ... although she cheerfully admits that it's unlikely to happen, seeing as I have a 27ish year head-start :-)

I seriously doubt that the unemployed "Sabu" twat gives a rat's ass about the kids, who are taken care of by his mommy. They are probably nothing more than a welfare paycheck for him.

The .gov will not give him a career. He's burned his "trustworthy" bridge.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old Russian proverb

Would that be the same Russia that quite famously did have rather a large revolution some little while back, by any chance?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Punishment still due

Helping to catch criminals after you have been caught as a criminal is just a means to lighten your sentence. You still need to be punished for your crimes like any other criminal.

9. RichyB

Why not release a book!!! Sellout!

Even if he is a grass he should still get punnished, lets face it he was the head of anonymous so he directed most of these kids. Send him down and let him write a book!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like