back to article LG making thin screens possibly FOR THE NEW iPHONE

LG Display has fuelled rumours of the imminent arrival of the iPhone 5 as its CEO announced the production on a new, thinner display. The new screens will have built-in touch sensors, components widely speculated to be involved in the latest Jesus mobe. Chief exec Han Sang Beom told reporters in South Korea that work had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Gimp

iPhone 5!!!!!

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

squee, woo-hoo, etc, etc, etc

1. Bob Vistakin
      WTF?

Re: iPhone 5!!!!!

Wise words indeed, thanks!

1. g e
        Joke

<DavidAttenboroughMode>So now we glimpse again the Fanboi at home in his native habitat...</>

So. NOW can I say .... FAPPLE

Or even now, in the face of this, is it a puerile and assinine epithet?

(..In the face... Fnarrr)

1. g e
          Facepalm

I am actually still genuinely unsure if the original post was ironic or pavlovian...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

questions

how thick is the touch sensors? And what is the thickens of this new display in comparison to a similar display using a separate touch sensor?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: questions

Probably not as thick as the people that will queue up 3 days just to get it a few hours earlier than the others that simply must have the latest version of shiny consumer devices that they can't possibly live without.

Tragic what humanity is striving to achieve these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: questions

Exactley!

The sponge types are drooling already.

You can hear it now, "but my phone has touch sensors integrated into the screen".......bla...bla...bla...

(or should that be BAAA BAA BAA)

Shame it's still shite.

And surely it would be ifop 6!

3. D@v3

12th September eh? Not long to wait till the rumours of the iPhone6 start doing the rounds then.

4. g e

Didn't LG have to bail on retina displays

Due to low yield? (Maybe it was Sharp)

Doesn't bode too well.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Sharp?

LG also make phones.

I thought Sharp was the development partner on this for Apple (= company that does the real R&D rather than knock off redrawn copies of old patents).

Mine's the one with an old copy of Wireless World showing an integrated touch + LCD display.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Sharp?

That was certainly the rumour a while back with Sharp due to be supplying IGZO screens for the device.

Call me sceptical but I can't see screen production starting now for something that is going to be available in volume in just three weeks. And, given Apple's recent treatment other manufacturer's, I would imagine any member of the chaebol thinking twice before getting in bed with them.

Windows 8 devices including "Surface" would certainly also be a candidate.

6. Alan Denman

Pop in replacements.

The good news is that once these become ubiquitous pop in replacement screens will be readily available for repairs.

Of course lashings and lashings on glue on 'my precious' Apple devices means it wont be for the iPhone 5.

7. Lloyd
    Facepalm

Wot No Samsung?

Surely not? Why on earth would that be?

8. Martipar

In my experience...

LG touchscreens are crap, so therefore i heartily agree that they produce them for the iPhone, they annoy me purely by existing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In my experience...

What a life you lead...

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Screengate

Was going to make a similar comment about LG touchscreens. I'm sure Apple will supply early-adopters with a hammer and chisel to work around the problem if they complain enough.

Not that big of a deal.

9. Big_Ted
    Thumb Down

I for one don't think its to have a thinner phone but to have a bigger battery, also a larger screen, what ? do they have to "copy" Samsung and HTC etc to produce a phone that people want to buy ?

The iPhone 5 would have been a great product to release a year ago but as normal Apple do an annual update to such in the previous owners to upgrade to the newest shiny which means they are out of date on release day when compared to what others have built into the hardware.

I expect a lower spec camera, lower spec processor (ok it will be perfect for the OS as it is now) and the same UI even if the srcreen is bigger so the icons are bigger rather than using the extra space to have more on screen. Its just an upgrade and nothing new, magical or visionary. Add to the the new OS is so social network oriented and for me this is the worst time to buy any iDevice no matter what it is.

10. Big_Ted
    Unhappy

"to suck in not such in"

dam predictive.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

"to suck in not such in"

"dam predictive......."

Damn, predictably I saw what you did there

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"But pundits have also speculated that the new design will lead to shortages "

How else would they get the sponges to drool and create a feeding frenzy?

Saps!

12. Wind Farmer

Recent Reg News...

Didn't you recently point out Apple being granted a patent for this tech? Would be a brave, lawyered-to-the-hilt company that would be involved in making this for anyone else, unless they've already licenced the tech.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Recent Reg News...

But it was already patented years ago. Yet again the USPO is useless.

1. AlbertH
        FAIL

Re: Recent Reg News...

It's very funny:

The technology was licensed from Philips......

If this display is for the new iPhone, Apple have really shot themselves in the foot. Again.

13. AlbertH
    Holmes

Lawsuit alert!!!

The next iPhone is expected to be launched on 12 September and persistent rumours have pointed to a design overhaul that would make the mobe thinner and give it a larger screen.....

..... just like the competing Samsung model!

14. Bob Sanders
    Linux

iP5 must be another game changer

Not an apple fan (evident by the icon) but not here to bash the pending new phone either.

From Apple's standpoint the iP5 must be a long step forward from the last phone. The last release wasn't what everyone was expecting and sales weren't as explosive as previous versions. Which because of that and 2 year contracts people didn't upgrade as much as before. Not saying iP4s wasn't a good product, just people were expecting more from it and in some ways gave Android a chance to catch up and move ahead a little. I think you could tell that by the way the stock market reacted both then and now.

Interesting that in someways Apple became the company they attacked in their Super Bowl ad.

Wonder when they will drop the mp3 players from their line-up. With the iPs are they even needed any more?

Looking forward to Apple uping the ante for the next wave of Space err phone invaders. Having the freedom to pick what phone you want to use is a good thing. Shouldn't be only one phone or one company to pick from ... competition breeds innovation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Re: iP5 must be another game changer

there is no law that says competition leads to innovation.

there are some opinions that say competition CAN lead to innovation.

15. Marty
    Coat

all this iphone vs the world is getting on my nerves now.

people get to wound up and blood pressure raised over speculations.... calmdown before you all have a stroke,,,

the fanbois / girlz will all want an iphone 5 no matter how crap / good it is. The fan-droids will hate it no matter how crap / good it is. its just the way of the world....

I don even care how good the iphone may be,I don’t want one, I don’t like apple. I will never own any of their products. not until they change things like taking down the walled garden. But the thing is, that the sort of thing that makes apple who they are and I would have even less respect for them if they didn’t stick to their principles.

Apple are way behind the rest when it comes to integrating things into a phone that we all expect to be there, facetime for heavens sake, I have been able to do video calls since the days of my NEC e313 about 10 years ago. the thing that apple are good at though is that people have never been interested in video calling, but apple will package it up and brand it in such a way that it becomes compelling.....

the thing I hate most about the apple phones are that they are closed to connect to other phones except for a phone call and text messages. Its ridiculous I cant send a picture or video via bluetooth, or send a"business card"...

now which pocket is my galaxy note in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

principles ?

marty.er,i hope you dont man principles in the older meaning of the word,tied roughly to the ideas of morals and ethics ? if so,flapple do not have any.

jobs would have crucified his own granny etc to "strengthen" flapple.

16. The elephant in the room

Thin is out

This screen tech sounds excellent and will allow more space for other technogubbins, but the persuit of over-all thinness has gone too far in my humble opinion. Half of today's anorexic phones end up in protective armour that makes them 1990's thick. The other half end up broken. It's time to bulk up again for the sake of robustness and battery life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like