back to article Sony Mobile moves out of Swedish lovenest after break-up

Sony Mobile is moving its headquarters from Sweden to Tokyo, where parent group Sony Corporation is headquartered, and laying off 1,000 people as it reshapes the company it took total control of back in February. Most of the layoffs will be in Lund, Sweden, where 650 staff will lose their jobs thanks to the closure of the old …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge

Hmm...

With this and Psygnosis/SCE, Sony are really pulling back on foreign investments. Has the Enfield warehouse been relocated/rebuilt/reopened yet?

1. Goldmember

Re: Hmm...

Indeed, not a good day for overseas Sony employees. I'm quite saddened by the loss of Sony Liverpool, as Wipeout 2048 is by far my favourite Vita game.

Where's the story on this by the way, Reg? The BBC have beaten you to it.

2. Simon Rockman

And what about Hammersmith?

Sony Ericsson was officially a British company - I understand for tax reasons - and the HQ was in Hammersmith. I'd expect that to go too.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lund

Lovely place. Note sure all 650 will find work in Lund, but the whole country is nice, as are the people.

Looks like Korea and California are where you need to be if you work in the Mobile Phone industry..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lund

Lovely place?? Most of Lund is a dump, all roundabouts, like a UK newtown. And Nova Lund is an unspeakable horror show. And the beer is awful and overpriced.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As Alfie pointed out, The Grand Hotel is OK. I guess when flying in and onto Malmo for business, you don't concentrate on the boring bits...

2. Lars Silver badge
      Coat

Having spent time in two companies in Lund (a lovely place) I am not that surprised. People don't work more than three days a week, Friday is for lottery and chatting, monday for dropping in late. There seems to be one secretary for every three persons and at least two cellphones for anybody higher up. Then there is the kitchen, chauffeurs and what not. The number of bosses outnumbers anything else in the company. Programming tasks are given to the youngest girls as programming is below anything decent well paid people do. So if the company is an IT company I would estimate that out of the 650 persons some 25 actually produce something. And most of them do it at home rather than at work. Still the interesting thing is that a company like that can do very well provided they have at least a couple of persons who provide.

4. Alfie
    Unhappy

The Grand Hotel in the centre is nice, but the Lund area is all a bit flat and boring for my liking.

Shame for the guys out of a job, used to consult for Ericsson out there, dont think there is enough capacity in the local area for them all to find another job.

5. b166er

Does this mean Ericsson can get back to making excellent mobile telephones?

1. npo4

AFAIK, they're sticking to network infrastructure, but it's sad to see the SE dumbphones gone, as I still use one as my main phone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like