back to article Windows 7 hotspot hacker turns to software bonding

The company responsible for hacking a Wi-Fi hotspot into Windows 7 is turning its hand to software bonding, promising tens of megabits over the slowest of cellular connections. The company has prototype Windows code which can bond multiple IP connections into a single stream, merging multiple Wi-Fi, cellular or physical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm pretty sure this was a built-in Linux functionality years ago. Admittedly less user-friendly, but this was Linux years ago.

Yep, I was right.

Nice of a 3rd party to allow Microsoft's operating system to play catch-up to the 1990s. Maybe they can hack a decent UI into Windows 8 next?

1. Gordan
      Boffin

Not Bonding

What you linked is interface bonding. That's the easy way to do it when you have multiple physical interfaces on the same network. What you have to do in a case of aggregating multiple connections locally is equal-cost-multipath routing that round-robins your requests across multiple interfaces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-cost_multi-path_routing

This isn't too useful for ordinary browsing, but it is useful for things like torrenting because that opens many connections to many different servers, so relatively decent load balancing is achieved.

This feature, too, has been in Linux kernel for well over a decade.

2. Aidan242

Not sure how you could bond a WiFi and cellular connection at the same time, given they're on separate network domains. Guess it'd work if you round robin connections through them, but that'd hardly aggregate performance.

1. Suricou Raven

You could do it if you used a computer somewhere on the internet as a relay. It's let you pool bandwidth effectively, but at the cost of latency.

3. Bill Neal
    FAIL

100Mb/sec Ethernet...

"with 100Mb/sec Ethernet now commonplace one has to question if the addition of Wi-Fi will make a significant difference"

The 100Mb/sec Ethernet at my desk does not give me 100Mb/sec internet. Far from it

4. Christian Berger

Speaking of it...

There would be a market for multi-path VPN links which would automatically configure themselves and adapt to changing network capacities. One idea might be to split it up to a lot of TCP/IP connections. Perhaps >3 connections per physical connection. That way even if one of those connections would hang because of a lost packet, you'd still use it. Those TCP/IP connections would automatically adapt to the available bandwidth.

Knowing how much bandwidth you have at a given time is important since then you have control over which packets to throw away.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doomed

If he has any success, MS will include the feature.

Even if he had patent protection, there's no chance he can afford to fight the issue in court.

If the code was hidden, it might disappear in a service pack (ruining his installed user base) and be brought back as an MS feature.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll try to save google a few searches. URL from the youtube video is http://www.backdispatch.com

Looks like that redirects straight to kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523076551/dispatch-the-internet-faster

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It will only work for multiple-connection usage

Proper connection bonding requires some aggregation at the other end of the link as well, which is the service referred to in the article. That costs money.

I have set up similar things in the past for some special purposes. This technique has always been possible, but it will make little if any difference to single-user web browsing, streaming or downloading from a server.

The only noticeable advantage would be with something like a torrent download which connects to multiple sources. Or by segregating different types of traffic. This becomes more relevant when considering a multi-user or corporate network's connection, strangely such a case isn't mentioned by Connectify.

1. bprodoehl

Re: It will only work for multiple-connection usage

With how many assets are downloaded invididually for a typical web page, and for how many domains they span, I think this could actually speed up single-user web browsing. Especially if we're talking about slow-ish connections like public Wi-Fi and 3G.

1. BlueGreen

First, try blocking ads.

Then, if you can take the regular browsing breakages (I can) try disabling jscript.

The difference is remarkable.

Also flash ads are a massive load on your cpu, basically one flash ad can tie up an entire core when it gets going.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

you're not kidding about flash - COD MW3 never sends my cpu above 25% cpu time, but if i fire up a couple of copies of Battle Pirates on facebook instead, before you know it i've got barely 25% cpu time free.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like