back to article Raspberry Pi now comes in Firefox OS flavour

The little computer that can, the Raspberry Pi, has successfully run the imminent Firefox OS, thanks to the efforts of a Nokia employee named Oleg Romashin. Firefox OS, also and/or formerly known as Boot to Gecko (B2G), is the Mozilla foundation’s attempt at providing an HTML-5 powered OS that will free punters from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Medium Dave
    Trollface

Nokia still have engineers!?

I'm stunned...

1. aldolo

Re: Nokia still have engineers!?

could it be the B plan?????

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Where do you think the Lumia phones come from, dumbass

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

In a Lumia phone the hardware comes from Compal and the software from Microsoft so why would Nokia still have any engineers? Unless it is too make the casing for the 800/900 because that is about all Nokia do these days.

1. Simbu
          Mushroom

Hmm Asha phone series, the Maps, Drive, Music, Reading, etc etc clients that sit on Lumia devices, the Pureview tech, the shedload of patents Nokia still registers every year... all magicked from nowhere right?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

Where do Lumia phones come from? "Daddy, Daddy, where do babies come from?" "Foxcomm, China and India, son. Now shut the fuc*k up and drink your milk".

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Coat

Oops, let me fix that.

"Now shut the fuc*k up and drink your milkmelamine."

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Their engineers obviously have a lot of time on their hands, though.

2. Eddy Ito

Inasmuch as there are no flies on Oleg, can we call it Shoo-fly Pi?

3. DutchP

all right then

Seeing as how it's Friday anyway...

Firefox OS: easy as pi

Firefox OS has its pi and eats it too

Firefox OS gets slice of the pi

This reminds me, I have an uneaten pi at home that I still need to figure out what to do with. Hope it hasn't gone stale yet. Might still be fine with a cup of tea from a rotating teapot, though

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Firefox OS, why??

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, as to why you would want an OS that ****ONLY**** does HTML5 apps, when clearly Android can do HTML5 apps, Dalvlik apps and native code apps....

FirefoxOS = Fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Firefox OS, why??

...and it only supports the Firefox OS version of HTML5 which hardly anyone uses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, as to why you would want an OS that ****ONLY**** does HTML5 apps

Hmmm let me see.... People build platform agnostic HTML5 apps for Firefox OS that can still be used if the user switches to Android or iOS.

Doesn't sound like a fail to me it sounds like Firefox are attempting to scale the walled gardens

1. JDX Gold badge

Yes clearly the way to set people free is to take away their choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes clearly the way to take away choice and deny people their freedom is to make an open source operating system based on web standards.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

>Yes clearly the way to take away choice and deny people their freedom is to make an open source operating system based on web standards.

Depends on who you mean by people - lots of freedom for developers, but if the people are real word end users then using borked Standards like the HTML5s doesn't offer them much freedom just limits

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Why limit your app to one platform if html5 apps run on everything from desktop pcs to tablets to phones from pretty much all manufacturers? Who's freedom is compromised by that?

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

>Why limit your app to one platform if html5 apps run on everything from desktop pcs to tablets to phones from pretty much all manufacturers?

Pipe dream - html5 apps targeting Firefox OS today won't even work on Firefox OS tomorrow.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

OK, another view.

Why buy a FirefoxOS phone/device that can only use Firefox HTML5 apps, when a Android smartphone can do that and SO much more...

5. gaz 7
    Thumb Up

Nice advert for his services!

This Oleg guys obviously talented, If he does unfortunately feel the cold of a sharp steel blade on the back of his neck in the future I hope this work helps him find gainful employer who appreciates it's engineers etc, cos God knows Nokia doesn't seem to anymore!

Thanks Oleg - will be trying this out soon

6. Wam

Who wouldn't ...

... be excited by a rotating teapot - well done sir!

1. Tim Walker
      Linux

Re: Who wouldn't ...

Well, speaking as a RasPi owner, I'm pleased with the "teapot" demo, because it appears to show progress being made on probably the biggest hole in Linux on the Pi at present: the lack of an accelerated video driver in X which can fully utilise the Pi's GPU.

OK, I don't know that for certain, but if this demo DOES mean a 3D-accelerated X video driver for the Pi is a step closer, it's good news as far as I'm concerned...

7. David Brownlee

Rasperry Pi getting BSD support too

An initial port of NetBSD has also been made to the Pi (serial console and SD card support so far)

http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/wanna_raspberry

Slightly more work involved than Firefox OS as it cannot just reuse the existing Linux port :)

Its always good to have multiple independent implementations (just look at how Valve's port of L4D to Linux has shown up a significant potential performance optimisation for the Windows version), and having a choice of licence is generally also a good thing :)

8. Greg J Preece

Been interested in Firefox OS for a while now, and in the Pi. I sense an impending purchase.

I'm liking the way this is going, being able to write the core of an app in pure HTML5 and then port the platform-specific bits between them.

9. Andus McCoatover
    Joke

Ordered the 'B' flavour of Pi yesterday.

Bugger, 15 weeks' predicted delivery - with case, HDMI cable, PSU, and SD preloaded card came to about €70. Stil, It'l be a server for my (dormant) website, oululife.com. By heck, I can't wait. Still, by then it'll be too cold to go out, so something to do whilst enjoying my unemployment...(I'll send Girlie out for my fags and 6-pack. -20 Celcius? Walk 50 metres to the shop in a blizzard? Sod that for a game of soldiers! She's Finnish, it's nothing to her. If she gets perchance to meet a hungry polar bear on the way - RESULT!! - Oh, 6-pack and ciggies..ah...)

1. Graham Bartlett
      Coat

Re: Ordered the 'B' flavour of Pi yesterday.

Oulu?! Went there back in 2007 in the middle of winter. Still got the fleece under-trousers which make me look like Mr Tumnus but stopped me getting chilled to the, ahem, bone. I guess you're now getting mozzie/midge blizzards instead.

Of course, me and my boss had not a word of Finnish between us. So in a quest for food, we stopped a random passerby. Initial question of "do you speak English?" turned into an in-depth questioning of exactly what kind of restaurant we wanted. In said restaurant, ordering reindeer got the waitress giving us advice on not ordering reindeer well-done because it just tastes of liver; medium-well is much better. It's somewhat embarrassing when you go to a foreign country and not only do you not speak their language, they may actually speak your language at least as well as you do.

Yes, the parka please. No, I don't want any salmiakki, thanks.

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

@ Graham - been here 15 years, still have only a basic grasp of the language. Parka? I go to the shop in a t-shirt and jeans even when it's -20. OK, only 100 yards, and the natives think I'm insane. (Who needs to pay for a psychiatrist when the locals can diagnose your problem in a second..?)

When I used to travel between Oulu and Aldershot, I LOVED salmiakki, but when I went to kiss my then-5-year old daughter, she said "Go away, salmiakki-breath!!!"

(Salmiakki's basically a spicy liquorice candy. Bit like Marmite - you either love it, or you hate it!)

2. Martin an gof Silver badge
      Happy

15 weeks? Ordered 20 Pis for work last week, shipped this week, though as I'm on holiday at the moment I couldn't tell you if they've turned up yet. RS have had some component supply problems but Farnell (E14) have stock on-the-shelf.

Or did until we wiped them out :-)

HTH!

M.

10. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Coat

"The little computer that can"

Though reading the official Pi forums it often seems more "the little computer that can't".

Anything which improves on the Pi's rather sluggish abilities must be welcomed - especially if hoping to use it for TV browsing and let's hope we see further options and improvements with time. It is a shame the hardware issues cannot be so easily overcome but once they move from development hardware to a final product release those problems will hopefully all be fixed.

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Re: "The little computer that can't?"

Dunno. For €70, it's worth a try to see if I can get my website, LAMPP, Joomla! etc. working. I've a strong feeling it'll be good enough for the task, hence my faith in bunging a weeks' dole money (VBM)* on it to try....

OK, El. Reg - if it works, I'll scribble something up**, then this esteemed rag can muck about with it at their leisure, and publish it if it wants. (Although I think it's possibly already been done)

-Challenge?

*VDM - Valuable Beer Money.

** First Law of Engineering. "If it's not written down, it never happened!"

11. RyokuMas
    FAIL

You just couldn't resist, could you...

"Oooh we've got to do an article that's related to mobile tech - can't post it up without getting a swipe in at MS/Nokia..."

... or is it a deliberate plan to bring in the trolls and bump up the comment count?

12. Justice
    WTF?

ERMAHGERD!!! STOPPIT!

WTF is up with Nokia... mucking about with yet another OS that has no practical use or mass appeal??? Check up from the neck up!!!

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Re: ERMAHGERD!!! STOPPIT!

Hang on a minute....Nothing whatsoever to do with Nokia - he just happens to work there in the daytime. So....

Some bloke, for a bit of fun has produced an OS that, if you want, you can use. If you don't want it, no-one is forcing you to load it.

Funnily enough the bloke's Finnish.

As is Linus Torvalds...

Oh, right...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like