back to article Human rights group: Nintendo tops conflict minerals baddies list

A human rights group has said that Nintendo, HTC and Sharp are among companies that don't do enough to ensure conflict minerals do not end up in their products. The Enough Project, a part of the Centre for American Progress, put Nintendo at the bottom of its conflict minerals ranking in a report on sourcing minerals that are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

Progressive hypocrisy at its finest

"Sure, if you need to, go right ahead and blow the tops off mountains or slaughter people in job lots to get the rare earths that go into all our favorite consumer electronics toys.

"But make sure you do it nicely, and without driving up the cost at point of sale! Our bloggers have to be able to afford iPads, after all."

1. Wupspups
      Flame

Re: Progressive hypocrisy at its finest

I see this here where I work. My research group works in oil and mineral exploration geology. We are constantly having snide banter like comments fired at us like; "Oh there you go again looking for new places to rape the earth." from our "greener planet loving" colleagues. Yet when it is pointed out to them that they are the first with the flashiest new computers, phones and hi tech gee-whizzes , and that all these geegaws use all sorts of rare earths and exotic stuff. So of it wasn't for likes of the group I work for finding new sources and ways to get to the existing stuff they wouldn't have all their lovely new fruity computers and doodahs. The normal response is "Oh don't be like that. We need to have the latest stuff to help us in saving the planet" Arse to the lot of them.

1. Aaron Em

Re: Progressive hypocrisy at its finest

'Scum' is the word I'd use, but then, of course, I don't have to work with them --

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you need the materials

The buying public don't care a jot. If they did this would be an issue at the checkout .

Unless you run round in a kafta, wear sandals, wash once a week, live in a yurt, have a beard, eat organic, are a veggie, hug trees or vote liberal.

Liberal voters are of course an endangered species so no one of note ever complains anymore.

1. asdf

Re: If you need the materials

>The buying public don't care a jot.

We shall see then if these companies PR department respond at all. The buying public doesn't usually care until its pointed out to them which is usually what these corporations fight against.

2. Miek
    Coat

"Centre for American Progress" -- Run! Run! they are progressing!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't worry, it won't be real progress ;)

3. David Gosnell

" no known effort to trace or audit "

Or no known agreement to cooperate with often rather flawed and agenda-driven surveys, like the Greenpeace one that Nintendo usually bottom out in simply for refusing to submit?

Summary: Nintendo are probably imperfect, but no worse than anyone else except possibly in admitting it.

4. Tim Worstal

Dear God I hate the Enough Project

So the Enough Project and Global Witness push (in fact, devise and lead the campaign) to have conflict minerals tracing written into Dodd Frank.

All the experts in the minerals and metals world said "You're doing it the wrong way".

Instead of having every bloody electronics manufacturer in the world sign up to it generating vast volumes of paperwork just have testers at the 9 or 10 factories in the world capable of processing tantalite analysing it as it comes in. We've already got a database of trace elements, we can identify which mine the stuff comes from.

But Noooo! They had to go ahead and get written into law this much more intrusive, expensive and absurd system instead.

And now they're complaining because some people aren't using the new system yet. Oi, fuckwits, there's a reason for this. Because the SEC hasn't actually issued the rules under which the new system works yet! No one actually knows what they must do to comply with the new law because the new law hasn't actually been clarified yet.

And that is, of course, the Enough Project's fault. For they insisted that it must be in the law without ever bothering to work out what the law would be.

Result? Tens of thousands of central African miners are now out of jobs and starving as no one at all will buy the central African minerals. Whether they're from conflict sites or not: because no one actually knows what the system is to distinguish between them.

Did I mention how much I hate the Enough Project?

FFS, we don't even know whether we've got to account for scrap yet!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dear God I hate the Enough Project

Oh dear, nasty people getting between you and all that nice money again.

> All the experts in the minerals and metals world said "You're doing it the wrong way".

Not exaggerating again, I hope.

Here's a previous discussion we had with a mr chuck blakeman. I think it says a lot.

<http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2011/11/14/african_minerals/#c_1231698>

5. Dr Stephen Jones
    Facepalm

Job creation scheme

Arts Graduates to the rescue!

It doesn't work and it will severely harm the producer economies (as Tim says) and all it does is put prices up here. We'll keep buying the finished goods. It's genius. But Enough Project isn't a "human rights group" - it's an anti-business group. Capitalism is evil, and all that.

I read that one third of graduates here are unemployed. The arts graduates are the least employable of all. Crusades like this give them something to do, and they're thousands of miles away from the grief they cause.

6. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

I thought foxconn just plonked the same shit in everyone's products anyway. So these guys are telling us that the foxconn warehouse has big crates of ethical components and big crates of unethical ones depending on who's stuff their making?

7. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    FAIL

"Centre for American Progress"

They are progressives, which means anything goes as long as it feels "social" and "good" and "anti-capitalist". This includes retconning Obama's shitty and amoral decisions into honest errors or into never having happened at all. Same level as repubs, only different.

8. asdf
    Megaphone

no surprise

No surprise on Nintendo as they don't seem to follow the rest of the industry on alot of other legal things as well. Nintendo is still just about the only company openly hostile to the fair use provision of the US copyright law (that you are allowed to have a copy of roms you buy to say play on an emulator) even though its the law of the land.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ultra-Pure Irony Goldmine

Dodd-Franks and trying to stop *other* countries creating or benefitting from conflict ;)

Don't suppose Kissinger or Blair are involved?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like