back to article Nokia hails hacks for New York Lumia WinPho gig

Nokia and Microsoft have begun inviting hacks to a New York event scheduled for Wednesday, 5 September, the same day the Finnish phone giant's annual shindig, Nokia World, kicks of in Helsinki. Nokia, Microsoft invite The NYC gig explains why Nokia isn't this year bussing journos to the frozen north as it usually does. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paratrooping Parrot
    Stop

Any relation to Panasonic Lumix cameras?

1. Richard Plinston

LUMIA - LUMIX

> Any relation to Panasonic Lumix cameras?

Not at all, and I am surprised that Panasonic has not sued over their trademark being corrupted by association with Windows Phones. These even have cameras so confusion could exist.

2. Herer
    FAIL

"It's simple: overspecialize, and you breed in weakness"

It's a slow death.

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

Re: "It's simple: overspecialize, and you breed in weakness"

A slow death for the iPhone....

3. mw333

Please stop calling bloggers and journalists hacks. Its distracting.

1. DrXym

The Reg beats these memes to death and then repeatedly violates the corpse.

Scientists are boffins, everything! Yahoo! does! is! exclamationed!, tablets are fondleslabes, iPhones are Jesus phones, Google is the chocolate factory, RIM jobs, open sourcers are freetards etc. etc.

Once upon a time these things might have even been hilarious. Now it's kind of sad.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

You are, of course, free to browse 1 (or more) of the thousands of other free tech news sites on the Internet.

2. Aspect
        Meh

It's part of the Reg culture

Private Eye's no different except their in-jokes stretch back decades.

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: DrXym

Point of order, point of order! Jesus phone is in the bottom drawer at the moment, Chocolate Factory is heading that way. Open sourcers aren't freetards, those are other people entirely.

Some things are here to stay though, like! the! yahoo! headlines! I'm! afraid! In fact I think I saw some rumour the other day that yahoo might ditch the !

I was distraught.

C.

4. N13L5
        Pint

I have nothing against corpse violation... when we were children, we'd keep repeating some funny word and it would keep getting more funny every time, until our parents couldn't take it anymore and told us to shut the f up...

Anyway, one should stop corpse violation once it reaches the more unappetizing stages...

Really, I think the Reg has a little journalists guide for everyone, where they prescribe the names to use, to keep that certain style going :)

2. Toxteth O'Gravy
      Thumb Down

What would you prefer? "Ladies and gentlemen of the press", perhaps?

4. Studley

Blurred-out venue?

Maybe they planned to use the Hotel Metro...

5. James 51
    Thumb Down

More evidence if it were needed about who Elop is working in the interests of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

I assume you mean MS, who are based in, err Seattle.

Largest mobile market for smartphones in the world: America. Now where should we hold our annual conference?

1. David Black

Re: Err...

Phonebox in Espoo?

Really, who cares. Windows Phone is the Video 2000 of the smartphone race.

2. James 51

America is the biggest market in the world for phones in the same way it is the most successful countries in the world series.

3. Arctic fox
        Thumb Up

Re: "I assume you mean MS, who are based in, err Seattle."

Oh please old chap, don't do that. The "Cognoscenti" do not like/do logic or facts. Indeed, they hate being subjected to either.

4. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Erm, no. The largest Mobile phone market in the world is Asia (1 billion+), then Europe (500 million), then the USA. The USA is actually one of the smallest and least important major phone markets. This is why Nokia were number 1 global phone manufacturer whilst hardly selling anything in the USA.

1. RICHTO
          Mushroom

Ooops - out of date - Europe market size is 860 milllion!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THIS is it

The excellent build quality and asthetics that you can only get from a Nokia with it's improved hardware over the last range and the impressive social features and built in Live Tiles that only Windows Phone can offer with its rock solid reliability and security. This is going to be the beginning of the end of Apple and Samsungs dominance. No doubt Samsung will be kicking themselves when Windows Phone 8 takes off and they only have one token phone running it. They'll drop Android before you can say 'patent infringement' and switch to making more Windows Phone 8 devices

1. marky_boi
      Facepalm

Re: THIS is it

Did you drink some over saturated kool aid or get a head knock?

Still trying to work out if you are taking the piss.... Or truely believe what you wrote...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

My irony detector's current reading is 'hmmmm' at the moment. If that helps...

Maybe Nokia have got so little money that they're reduced to using astroturfers in China. They're even too poor to write them a script, so they're thrown back onto the resources of Google translate.

But my current theory is that he's a member of the Campaign Against Punctuation.

Personally I think Win Mob 8 will be quite good. The assembled hacks will be quite impressed, and the phones will get decently reviewed. But the networks and shops won't push it, it's hard enough to train their sales droids for 2 phone OSes, 3 is pushing it. Sales will improve a bit. Commentards will continue to spew bile all over it, for reasons of their own - and a few Win Pho owners will go feral in response, making most threads on the subject into a cesspit of ickyness.

Personally, I don't see the point in spending more than about £200 on a smartphone, so it'll be a middling Android or WinPho8 for me next. Google, MS, Apple and Nokia won't care either way.

It's all irrelevant. By 2014 Google's network will have become self-aware, and take over the world. Android phone users will all be betrayed by their phones, whereas other phone users will get a few miliseconds warning, before they too are harvested by our new machine overlords. it's possible that this has already happened, and Stuxnet was the new self-aware computer's first attempt to gain access to nuclear weapons.

1. Great Bu

I for one welcome our new telephonic overlords.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I don't. They're going to harvest me for my organs. I'm quite attached to my organs...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like