back to article Malaysian websites go dark to protest Evidence Act

Many Malaysian websites took on a sombre hue yesterday, as operators blacked them out to protest proposed amendments to the nation’s Evidence Act that would remove the presumption of innocence for some online activities. The controversial part of the legislation is a new Section 114a (PDF) which aims to “provide for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the same government that was put in by Mahathir Mohammad. He has introduced all sorts of laws and has had his opponents put into jail on trumped up charges just after the commonwealth games were held in Malaysia,

They had all sorts of emergency laws put on themselves whenever the government feels threatened. I really feel sorry for the lovely folks there. :(

Anonymous, because unlike American law, Malaysian law does not apply around the world!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not only that, but the censorship and state control of the media by UMNO is scary.

Anon because I am currently booking my trip back there to visit my family.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definition of a computer.

Your correspondent, as an electrochemical entity, assumes he is exempt from being considered computers on grounds of a frequent lack of logical function.

Anything you want, just so long as we don't have to witness your 'display function'!

3. djnapkin
    Pint

A real shame

Very surprising news. While in Malaysia in June one big news item was a change to the protest laws from a position where gathering and demonstrations were forbidden unless specifically approved, to a new law allowing them all. The police could require a change of time (& venue? not sure), but not prohibit them. Specific requirements were placed on the police re timescales for this too.

There many other signs of a new and exciting vibe in Malaysia; it has a real feel of going somewhere.

This proposed new law surely is a huge step backwards.

Beer icon, because they have (with Norway) the most expensive ber in the world.

This topic is closed for new posts.