back to article RIM ramps up resolutions for BB10 range

Research in Motion announced display resolutions for its upcoming BlackBerry 10 models this week, allowing developers to crack on immediately with app development. While Rim's first release will feature a display with a res of 1280 x 768, the company has encouraged developers to 'letterbox' their content to 16:9 proportions ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51
    Thumb Up

Keyboards

It's nice to know they aren't ditching the physical keyboard.

1. LarsG
      Meh

An

iPhone with Blackberry printed on it!

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: An

Well actually to me it looks like a Samsung Galaxy Mobile device thingy

2. DrXym

Re: An

"iPhone with Blackberry printed on it!"

It does a bit, but it's clearly taking its main cue from the existing Playbook.

2. Koyaanisq

Nice

Can't wait for the Apple copyright infringement trial.

1. Kevin Johnston

Re: Nice

Nah, they're golden....the button is at the top and that nice Mr Jobs was very insistent that there was only one way to hold an iPhone so it should be impossible to confuse the two

The big question is 'does the volume control go up to 11?'

1. Gio Ciampa

Button? You mean the speaker?

1. Kevin Johnston

Alright, I made a mistake....apparently even graphic design engineers involved in producing this stuff get confused.....my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

3. the-it-slayer
    WTF?

Bit late much?

Have RIM woken up and seen hi-res screens at last? Might as well be late to party for everything else like barging in to a party already drunk with a cheap bottle of wine in your hand. Wondering what other features they could introduce as if they never existed on phones before...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bit late much?

Sounds like you're talking about Apple

4. Jess

If they provide an update for my Bold 9700 I may be interested.

Otherwise I intend to stick with the N8 I just ordered for as long as it's viable, and by then a good Android phone should be a reasonable step up.

5. ukgnome

So is it a blackberri

6. Canonical Exegesis

Only half- awake!

One wonders WHY RIM are still yet to grasp the fact that a large-screened LANDSCAPE SLIDER with qwerty would cover practically ALL the bases. Keeping the sae resolution, they could release a 4.5-/4.8-/5.0-inch screen in a Nokia E7/N950- alike slider and radically increase the potential size of their market/fanbase.

Thus, the lineup should consist of the large screen slider, small-screen Bold-alike and possiblly a large touchscreen-only version for keyboard refuseniks. Forcing buyers to choose between large touchscreen and titchy portrait keyboard allied to sall square screen is *stupid* and reeks of the kind of thinking that has led the to their current state. Was the dictum that keyboards (physical) must ONLY be presented in portrait orientation part of some Masonic oath that all BB product designers had to make or suffer decapitation of their firstborns?

The poky screen/tiny keyboard is the AIN thing that kept me from buying either a Blackberry or a Nokia N900 in spite of all the fantastic Linux goodness they possessed; hopefully they can exorcise this demon as I want BOTH a great screen and a useable keyboard. Even Sasung and Motorola see to be stuck on 4- inch WVGA screens on their sliders coupled to decidedly mid-range SoCs and liited graphics and RAM.....

1. turkey
      Alien

Re: Only half- awake!

My (limited) experience with using slider phones is that the top-heavy screen pulls the device down and away from my thumbs, making it a strain to hold and type with. Perhaps this is a reason for smaller screens on sliders?

Anyone got a different experience with sliders?

1. KjetilS

Re: Only half- awake!

I have a Nokia E7 on loan right now, and it isn't a problem if you hold it right (does Jobs have a trademark on that?).

Middle fingers underneath the phone, where the screen is attached, index fingers behind the screen, and type with your thumbs. It's actually quite comfortable to type on.

On that note, I *really* wish Nokia had continued to develop phones like this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like