back to article Microsoft halts new apps on Windows Phone Marketplace

Microsoft has temporarily halted the publication of new apps for Windows Phones following a problem with its digital security certificates. The company said a number of titles available from Marketplace - Redmond's software bazaar for its mobile phone operating system - will not install on handsets upgraded to Windows Phone 7. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg

That is all.

1. LarsG
      Meh

And they want you to buy the new Windows operating system!

Not a great time to remind Win Mobile users that they have no upgrade path other than buying a new handset.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It happened to Apple not long ago and Google cancelled the DRM feature they had developed as it was faulty.

So anyone wanting to point and laugh had better be a Blackberry user.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

After the infamous Blackberry's long outages that crippled their network I doubt they'd be laughing for long.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apples and Pears

This is about security certificates not network outages. What about the recent 02 network outage? Why don't you try comparing that with this problem and then you will see how absurd your argument is!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Apples and Pears

UMMMM weren't the Blackberry outages partly caused by an encryption fluke?

2. Old Handle

I don't have a cellphone

Can I point and laugh too?

1. LarsG

Re: I don't have a cellphone

Mobile phone

3. EddieD

Hmmm..

Both people affected are reported to be hopping mad....

1. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Re: Hmmm..

You jest, but 'tis truly fortunate that the same number shifted in a quarter as Android does by 10.00am every morning is irrelevant enough not to cause any noticable problems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Bob, I remember someone pointing out in a letter to Private Eye that sales of The Sun were over a million a day, sales of Private Eye were in the order of a hundred thousand a week.

Volume of sales does not necessarily correlate with quality of product.

2. RyokuMas
        Trollface

Divide that number by the number of fragmentation permutations that Android is spread across and the numbers even back out...

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Cockup upon cockup.

The Windows Phone Marketplace is the millstone around the neck of Windows Phone.

How the hell they expect it to flog games and content to kids, when the only method of paying for anything is to get some adult to add their credit card to the account (yeah, right, very funny), is beyond me.

This is bloody stupid. WinPho has all the ease of use and features that should appeal to kids, but they've managed to build it in such a way as it's impossible to get content for if you lack a credit card, rendering it utterly useless to anyone under 18.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Cockup upon cockup.

Yes it's almost like they're showing some semblance of responsibility.

What options does Apple give? I had to set up a payment option on my iPad recently but put in my card number without looking what the other options were...

1. Matt_payne666

Well, microsoft arnt the only ones that cocked up with certificates... Apple had a similar issue with OSX earlier this year - thier certificate expired and apple software wouldnt install on apple machines....

1. Bob Vistakin
          Facepalm

"microsoft arnt the only ones that cocked up with certificates"

You forgot "twice": http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/03/azure-leap-year-bug

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@JDX: You can buy iTunes gift cards at many shops and supermarkets.

Microsoft has their Xbox points cards for sale too, wonder if they'll link up the systems at some point.

3. Dana W
        Meh

Ever hear of iTunes gift cards? That's how kids and people too young "or too broke" to have credit cards buy from iTunes. They are available pretty much anywhere, including the checkout line at the grocers

.But don't worry Microsoft will copy that too as soon as they figure it out.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can also buy with MS points, or whatever they're called, which can be given to you by other people. Just like with xbox, so mum and dad can limit Johnny's access to money and prevent his access to their credit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Todd Brix

how does he announce himself and the area he works in when you ring him?

Brix - Phones

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Todd Brix

And isn't "Tod" the German word for "Death"?

An aptly named Microsoft senior director for mobile platform services product management, I feel.

6. Allicorn
    FAIL

Testing Optional

Not a poke specifically at MS (for once) since both Apple and Google have borked their own app stores at one point or another: just how does one do this? You'd think (wouldn't you?) there would be /some/ testing involved when planning changes/upgrades/configuration of major client-facing services? Wouldn't you? Even of the most basic kind like, "If we change this setting, will one entire class of users no longer be able to use the service?"

7. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Todd Brix said a new backend had been introduced

Headline should have been Brix Bricks windows phones with his big backend.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

hmm

Microsoft with security problems... Who'd have thunk it?

9. Graham Jordan

There are apps on the Windows phone?

As an owner of a Lumia 800 I'd like to know what apps MS are talking about. It's like a fucking dessert in the app store. Tumbleweed is the number one downloaded app.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: There are apps on the Windows phone?

What exactly is it that you need that is missing?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: There are apps on the Windows phone?

there's no blue screen of death joke app because

it's built in to the system!!

2. Trygve

Which dessert?

If it's like sticky toffee pudding I might seriously consider getting a WinMobe...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like