back to article 'Kill switch' flaw found in top web weapon, victims sigh with relief

Security researchers have discovered a vulnerability in a top DDoS attack tool that provides a handy means to neutralise onslaughts. The Dirt Jumper Distributed-Denial-of-Service (DDoS) Toolkit is one of the most popular attack tools available. It was deployed in a digital siege against security news website KrebsonSecurity. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Irongut

Slight issue

Hacking the DDOS control server is illegal even if it's being used for illegal purposes itself.

1. Roger Jenkins

Re: Slight issue

I ask myself, is that statement entirely true. I'm sure that hacking the control server is indeed illegal in most jurisdictions, but 'all' is a very sweeping statement. I'm sure if you really wanted to zap them, one of the Pacific island nations won't stop you. I volunteer to pop over and run the server if you like.

1. seczine.com
        Unhappy

It only has to be illegal in one jurisdiction, America, and they will deport you from wherever you are on the planet.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or 'take-out' the computer running it (and you) with an un-manned drone.

2. localzuk Silver badge

Not sure that's true. Most jurisdictions include defenses of preventing a greater crime from occurring.

So, if you see someone gonna shoot someone and you smack them over the head with a rock, you technically have assaulted them but you have a defense of preventing a greater crime.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But what are they going to do? Go to the Police and say that they were running a perfectly legitimate distributed denial of service attack when the victims of their attack turned tables on them.

Or as I like to know it the: "Bigger boys came" defence.

Your analogy is not like, for example, a trespasser being shot by a landowner, where someone who is breaking the law is subject to a far more serious crime. This is someone who is committing a serious crime potentially wanting protection from their victims stopping them from committing that crime.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

>But what are they going to do?

>Go to the Police and say that they were running a perfectly legitimate distributed denial of service attack when the victims of their attack turned tables on them?

Yes:

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Drug-farmers-court-reporting-theft-10k-cannabis/story-15645317-detail/story.html

4. Tom 13

Not if you get a 'Merkin judge to sign off on it first.

5. Thatvoiceinmyhead

Self defense is a legal defense in response to all actual or attempted crimes against person and property in every jurisdiction as far as I know so all a reverse-attacker has to do is to state that you're "working for or on behalf of the victim" and you are away clean. Unless some lawyer here can show us why not?

2. Crisp

Oh that's priceless!

Exploiting the exploiters exploit!

1. Lockwood

Re: Oh that's priceless!

Yo dawg...

3. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Terrible.

Surely the correct process would be to approach the owners of the product and give them the opportunity to fix the vulns before publicising them like this?

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

I seem to get through a lot of these lately!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sadly, the hackers will undoubtably rev their toolbags and fix these vunerabilities faster tahn you can say jack sh__

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In theory yes, but that would be crediting the writer with slightly more understanding of the TCP and HTTP protocols than a glance at the pretty diagrams in the respective Wikipedia articles imparts.

And it would also imply that the source is in any way easily maintainable and not kludged together from snippets barfed up on the first page of results of a Google search.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Find a vunerability

aaannnnnddd it's gone.

Well done for letting them know, I'm sure they're all over it now.

1. Charles 9

Re: Find a vunerability

Don't be so sure, because they probably wouldn't have gone public with it if the white hats hadn't ALREADY gotten in and made sure they can STAY in.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

There is no way to be sure they CAN "stay in".

7. Callum
    FAIL

the last thing you'll do

... and the last configuration change to made to the C&C server is to instruct it's army of bots to attack itself

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf

Re: the last thing you'll do

And then some poor hosting company with a pwned box in some data center somewhere suddenly finds half its customers are offline. Might convince more outfits that should know better to take security seriously.

8. Chris Evans

Correct course!

Priorities

Try to find who's behind it [1]

Get the servers DNS entries removed

Hacking the server will only temporarily cover up the real problem.

If Hacking the servers can be done without compromising the higher aims, then yes do so, but don't publicize it!

[1] Follow the money! Most/Many such servers have a traceable financial motive

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Correct course!

Hahaha follow the money eh? You haven't been reading about the major banking shenanigans going on all over the world for say the last decade have you? Good luck sifting through all the shell of a shell corporations. Even presidential candidates can successfully hide money.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like