back to article Plextor joins titans of MLC flash at the 90,000 plus club

Plextor has joined OCZ and SMART in the 90,000+ club, the providers of elite MLC SSDs that exceed 90,000 random read IOPs per second. Fast single-level cell (SLC) flash is used to drive SSDs at speeds beyond 100,000 IOPS doing random reads of 4K data blocks. Multi-level cell (MLC) flash, with 2 bits per cell, is slower, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great but expensive

Plextor makes some truly great SSDs, it's good seeing the company coming back with good products, after their later disappointing - but justified - moves in optical media.

I just wish I could afford them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't know how any of the trick-of-the-week SSDs actually perform

Lately Plextor has been rushing out new SSD models weekly to try and keep pace with the rushed-to-market crap SSDs from other companies. Quite frankly we know almost nothing about the reliability and compatibility of these SSDs in spite of all the hype and hoopla.

As we see from purchaser reviews all over the Net, there are still plenty of installation and operational issues with most brand name drives no matter what the source. As Anandtech has stated: "this is immature tech" and "people should wait 6-12 months before buying", from it's release to see if the product is actually reliable and compatible as often numerous firmware updates are required, lost capacity and data are common and RMAs are the order of the day for many.

The OCZ vertex 4 SSD has had three firmware updates in two weeks... so unless you're into being an unpaid beta tester, you might want to wait six months or so before jumping on this half-baked crap rushed to market for huge profits from naive consumers.

BTW I have bought and used Plextor products in the past without issue but SSD tech is still immature and there is no reason to expect Plextor to be immune from SSD issues any more than any other SSD maker.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: We don't know how any of the trick-of-the-week SSDs actually perform

That's true. I'd always wait 6 months before purchasing any SSD, first units always get a shocking amount of problems which need 2-3 firmware revisions.

The added bonus is they're much cheaper then too :-)

3. Boris S.

More proof of NOT ready for Prime Time SSDs

Yeah, you knew this was coming and I suspect these "discoveries" will be ongoing for a few more years before SSDs actually become plug and play with reliability. If you've bought a Sandforce based SSD you should read the stroy at the link below as your SSD may take a huge performance hit soon.

This topic is closed for new posts.