back to article 'It is not something you are good at, so please think twice'

This was the week when Apple was not having fun in the cloud, with its own co-founder dissing the whole concept and its iCloud easy ID recovery contributing to a very public hack. Woz couldn't have been more clear about his lack of faith in the cloud, saying: I really worry about everything going to the cloud. I think it's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Grant
    FAIL

Visually impaired Apple graphic designer?

"While ex-Appler and graphic designer Susan Kare said:

There was a big conference table with many phones on it, and some of them were on. I could see the screen. I went to pick up the iPhone to make a point about the user interface, and I was holding a Samsung."

Seriously? The iPhone is pretty damn distinctive, and she worked for Apple and can't tell what one looks like? And even if that weren't true, it's easy to tell an iPhone: it's the one that needs an expensive case to protect it.

1. Richard 81

Re: Visually impaired Apple graphic designer?

Yeah, I call BS.

1. wowfood

Especially when graphics folks are meant to have discerning eyes. A friend of mine did a course on 3d graphics. You could put two virtually identical images in front of him and after a second or so he could tell you which was the higher quality one.

"That ones better. There's a few misplaced pixels in the shadow on the other"

*takes out magnifying glass to confirm*

If somebody in graphics can't tell the difference between something they made and somebody else used as inspiration then well... They shouldn't be in graphics. Surprised the summary didn't follow up with the fact she'd been paid $80,000 to turn up.

2. Shagbag

I have to put my faith in the Jury on this one. They are all reasonable people with the capability of independent thought. I don't believe these Jedi Mind tricks are likely to have any effect on that.

1. Captain DaFt

Thank you! That's my weekend started with a hearty belly laugh!

2. Bob Vistakin
    FAIL

When it comes to surface, this guy sure thought twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRWa68MtLc

3. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Happy

I did like Woz's prescience on the cloud issue.

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Last four CC digits as security question?

We're beyond epic there and well into some sort of universe-warping hyper FAIL from Apple. Just about every system I have ever seen that can re-use a credit card presents it as: "Your card ending in 1234". It's pretty much an industry standard. PCI states that the first six or last four digits may be displayed willy-nilly, but never the entire PAN.

If Apple reckon that's in any way secret and only known by the cardholder, which rock have they been living under for the last couple of decades?

1. Hyphen
      FAIL

Re: Last four CC digits as security question?

My bank emails me every month to inform me that my CC statement is ready to view. They prove themselves to be my bank by using the last 4 digits of my card number...

Admittedly there's no "click here to log in" links or anything, but it does now worry me a little that this information is being accepted by CS to allow control over an account. Especially as the aforementioned bank's servers are seemingly unable to use TLS when they send the emails out.

5. Turtle

Beautiful....

"Journalist Mat Honan had his entire iLife scrubbed when hackers got hold of his Apple ID. The scribe was such a fanboi that all his tech gear was fruity... so once the baddies had his Apple ID, it was sayonara to pictures, documents, emails and access to any of his online accounts – including, [...]fortunately, the Twitter feed for gadget blog Gizmodo." (Note barely noticeable gratuitous edit.)

What a beautiful and touching story that was!

: )

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Humpf

He's only saying exactly what I did right from the start, only I'm not famous so nobody takes any notice of poor little me.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like